Author Topic: Is this the right board for Presteigne in 1871?  (Read 4134 times)

Offline sthwales

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is this the right board for Presteigne in 1871?
« on: Sunday 09 January 11 21:34 GMT (UK) »
I hope so because I've had no replies to my post in the Radnorshire board!!

I've got a Sarah Ann Rogers b1862 Q4 in Presteigne according to FreeBMD, but which shows as Old Radnor in some records. This is as much as I know until 1881 when she's working as a domestic servant with another family in 1881.

Would SKS be good enough to look her up in the 1871 Herefordshire Census for me please? I'm desperate to find the rest of her family but can't wait for the certificate to arrive (it's on its way!).

Many thanks in advance
Clive
Swift (Merseyside & Wigan), Earle (Merseyside), Valentine (Merseyside, London & Germany)

Only a genealogist would consider a step backwards as progress...

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Is this the right board for Presteigne in 1871?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 January 11 00:07 GMT (UK) »
This is the area covered by the Presteigne RD

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/presteigne.html

This is the link to your other post on 3rd January in which you don't mention the 1881 entry

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,504733.msg3614512.html#msg3614512

It has been read 47 times so no reply means that she cannot be found - not that it is being ignored. 

This is as much as I know until 1881 when she's working as a domestic servant with another family in 1881

Where was this - England or Wales?  What birthplace is shown?

I'm desperate to find the rest of her family but can't wait for the certificate to arrive (it's on its way!).

It would be much better to wait until it arrives and more positive details are known about her parentage

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 January 11 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Im just posting to let you know I've had a really good look and I cannot find her in 1871 there are a couple of possiblilies but with out parents names I wouldnt like to post and give you a false lead.

I found a Sarah A Rogers in Fownhope, Herefordshire, England. But then I also found her in the 1881 census so this is not her. Also Fownhope is about 30 miles from Old Radnor.

Good luck with your search - let us know more details when you get the certificate.

Cheers Ted

Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sthwales

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 January 11 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks both for your kind replies.

CaroleW - The reason I re-posted on the Herefordshire board was because I suspected that I'd made a mistake by posting it in the Radnorshire board in the first place!! I wasn't trying to imply that I was being ignored - I know from previous experience that Rootschat users are straight in there with a reply when they can & I'm really grateful that I can put a post here & get some feedback.

The 1881 Census has Sarah working as a servant at Downfield Farm, Lower Harpton, Old Radnor, Kington, Radnor with the Vaughan family, and her birthplace is shown as Old Radnor. The difficulty here, as I'm sure you appreciate, is that she's shown as 20yrs old born in Old Radnor, Radnorshire, but 3 of the Vaughan children are aged 5, 4 & 2 and born in Old Radnor, Herefordshire!!

Ted - thanks for checking for me. I'd already found the Fownhope Sarah last night & discounted her before posting.

Good news is that her marriage certificate arrived today. She married at the age of 21 on Jan 23 1883 at The Parish Church in Huntington, Herefordshire. Her residence at the time is given as Huntington, and her father is James Rogers, a labourer. For the record, her husband is Thomas Price, age 23 and a labourer, living at Glascwm & whose father was John Price, also a labourer.

For the time being I guess it's back to FreeCen to search for a Sarah with a dad called James ;-)

Thanks to you both

Cheers
Clive
Swift (Merseyside & Wigan), Earle (Merseyside), Valentine (Merseyside, London & Germany)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 January 11 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Nothing on either the English or Welsh 1871 with that birthplace/birthyear/father

I thought you meant you had sent for her birth cert as that would have her mothers details as well

This is only a possibility and you really need the birth cert to confirm/deny it

There is a James Rogers marriage in Presteigne in 1856 - one of the female names is Jane James

The 1861 has this entry for Old Radnor

James Rogers 29 b Old Radnor - agric labourer
Jane  30 b Nantmel Radnor
Mary A James 7 step dtr b Nantmel
James Rogers 3 b Old Radnor
Lewis Rogers 1 b Old Radnor
RG9 Piece 4229 Folio 10 Page 14

1871 has this entry and there is an 1866 marriage between Jane Rogers and John Pugh - could Ann be Sarah Ann perhaps??  There is an Ann Harriott Rogers birth in Presteigne in 1862

Kinnerton Common Radnor

John Pugh 40 b New Radnor
Jane Pugh 41 b Namtmel
Lewis Rogers 11 step son b Old Radnor
Ann Rogers 8 step daughter b Old Radnor
John Pugh 1 b Kinnerton
RG10 Piece 2721 Folio 115 Page 2

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 January 11 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Dear Clive,

I have had another look with father James and still nothing obvious.

There are a couple of possiblities with just a mother. Do you know her mother's name it could help find her in 1871.

There are two possible deaths for James Rogers one march qtr 1863 and one march gtr 1865.

Cheers Ted

PS posting at same time as Carol - the Pugh family is one of the entries I was thinking is a possible also.

Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sthwales

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 20:38 GMT (UK) »
I think you've both managed to put it together for me!

James Rogers marries Jane James, who already has a daughter Mary, then they have 2 boys James & Lewis in Old Radnor by 1861. Our Sarah Ann is born in Q4 1863 in the same place.  Dad James then dies, either in 1863 or 1865 (to be confirmed). In 1866 mum Jane marries John Pugh. They decide, for whatever reason, to call her Ann, which is the info they give the enumerator in 1871.

At this stage, no further information on Sarah Ann until she turns up in the 1881 Census, and her full name is used (maybe because she's come of age & wants to be addressed properly?). She's employed as a domestic at Downfield Farm in Lower Harpton by John Vaughan, who supplies manure to T Robinson & Co (http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/HEF/Kington/Littlebury1876.html).

Then she gets married in 1883 which is where we came in earlier. Everything ties up, including the cross-referencing of the other childrens names on the 1861 & 1871 Censuses.

I was clearly mistaken when I said her birth cert was on its way - it was the marriage cert - but I'll be ordering the birth cert next week when payday arrives just to confirm her mothers name.

Thank you both so much for your help  ;D

Cheers
Clive

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Kington History Society who are based at Kington Library keep extensive records and info which includes Harpton and Old Radnor.

Offline sthwales

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Puffcat - got a bit to be going on with here, have a few certs to order, but will bear it in mind.

Cheers
Clive