Author Topic: Was there a church at Mulnagore, Co Tyrone  (Read 4103 times)

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Was there a church at Mulnagore, Co Tyrone
« on: Sunday 09 January 11 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I'm hoping that someone may be able to answer a question for me.  While I have successfully located the church and graveyard where most of my Seaton ancestors are buried at Crossdernot, I am still wondering if there ever was a church for Mulnagore?  My ancestors lived in Mulnagore before moving across to Glencon c1880's but continued their connection with the Crossdernot church.   I'm guessing there was no church for Mulnagore but would like confirmation re this thought either way.
Regards, Abygail
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Was there a church at Mulnagore, Co Tyrone
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 January 11 08:00 GMT (UK) »
The townland of Mulnagore (219 acres) is in the civil parish of Pomeroy (as is Crossdernot townland) and according to this list there is a Parish (Church of Ireland) Church is in Crossdernot with two others listed- scroll down page for Pomeroy Parish:
http://cotyroneireland.com/churchrecord/parishrecords.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 January 11 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Yes there is a church still in use in Crossdernott behind the old schoolhouse.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the photo, I visited that location Sept gone (2010) and paid my respects to family that are interned there.  Just wondering about Mulnagore as I have 3 ancestors that weren't in the death register at Crossdernot.  Theoretically they should be as the timeframe fitted with the register books and most of the family are at Crossdernot, just thought they be at Mulnagore as they lived there first.
Abygail
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
  Abygail

Offline ultimo01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 September 11 20:13 BST (UK) »
Abygail: How were you able to access the burial records for Crossdernot Church? My wife's Grandfather is (supposedly) buried there and we therefore suspect that his wife is too. However we have been unsuccessful in obtaining any information from the Curate of the church.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Carmen in Canada
Ferguson, Henry, Tannahill, Kennedy, Black, Catherwood

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 September 11 12:29 BST (UK) »
I was able to access the death register held in the church at Crossdernott when I visited the church and graveyard.   It seems the church records held there start around 1864 so the earlier records held elsewhere if they still exist.   I was able to photograph the pages that held entries relating to my ancestors, so if you like send me a PM and I will look through what I have and hopefully for you your ancestors will feature.
Abygail
  Abygail