Author Topic: Dochgarroch death 1893  (Read 5625 times)

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dochgarroch death 1893
« on: Monday 10 January 11 05:05 GMT (UK) »

Hello all

Happy New Year

I have just found my great great grandfathers death cert, and he died in Dochgarroch, Inverness, so now am looking for the grave yard / cemetery, Does anyone know where they are in that area, death was 1893 Alexander Munro age 72 ( according to death cert)

As far as I can tell Dochgarroch was just a hamlet with a canal lock and a school and not much else. It doesn’t appear to have had a church. It’s in the parish of Inverness and only about four miles from the city

Does that sound correct and are any Inveness graveyards / cemeteries online ??

Daizi
Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia
Dixon Australia and Cumberland

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Dochgarroch death 1893
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 January 11 07:43 GMT (UK) »

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 January 11 08:08 GMT (UK) »

Thanks Bruce, 

I have seen that post,  and as i am in Australia,  the address's arnt much good to me,  also have checked the genuki site

Daizi
Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia

Offline Chortlegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 January 11 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Daizi

I lived in the Inverness area some years ago and Dochgarroch is a small place (sorry, can't remember much more about it - memory is a bit hazy!). I think the closest cemetery/churchyard on the list (from the link to Ancestry posted by Bruce) would be the one at Lochend. The next closest would be Tomnahurich (in Inverness) I think.

I'm not aware of these cemeteries being online, but the Highland Family History Society does sell a booklet of Lochend MIs and the Scottish Genealogy Society does have a handful of pre-1855 Tomnahurich (nothing after this date I'm afraid) MIs in their Inverness District East booklet.

Hope this helps
Lynn
Gunn, Grant, McAskill, McKenzie, McIver, McLeod (Gairloch, ROC, Scotland)
Ross, McLeod, Campbell, Graham, Gair, Bain, McCulloch (Nigg & Fearn, ROC, Scotland)
Thomson, Matheson, Paterson, Gray, Munro, Fowler, McDonald, Murray, Hossack, McKenzie (Resolis, ROC, Scotland)
McTavish, Fraser, McLellan(?) (Dores, INV, Scotland)

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 January 11 22:00 GMT (UK) »

HI Lynne

Thanks for that,    i will keep searching,   i will contact Highland Family History Group and see what they can offer

thanks again

Daizi

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 January 11 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Daizi,  have a look at this site,    http://moregravestones.webs.com/         Skoosh

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 00:11 GMT (UK) »

Thanks for that Skoosh,  is a great site,  but no luck...:(

Daizi

Offline irenaf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 March 11 15:11 GMT (UK) »
HI there, I lived around Dochgarroch/Lochend for many years and know that in the era you talk about there was a lot of coming and going between the Dochgarroch side and by ferry to South Lochness side so Dores cemetery might be an option. Another popular one was Glenconvinth. The latter is over the hill from Dochgarroch towards Beauly. At that time there was a drover's road over the hill. If you email one of the local libraries they usually have the book of details of gravestones, especially smaller cemeteries. It depends very much where his family are buried and where he was born. These locations were both very influential in deciding where people are buried. Most people who lived around Dochgarroch were associated with Dochfour estate or farms attached to it. There is a church a little further South on the Inverness - Drumnadrochit road but I'm not sure whether there was a cemetery there or not. The next church out was at the beginning of Loch Ness, also unsure re cemetery. Both churches are set in tiny pieces of ground so not much space for anything else. We had relatives who were members of that church and they are buried at Glenconvinth. Hope this does not confuse you too much. Good luck with everything. I am going through to Inverness to the ancestral centre next week and if you still have not get the info I will ask when I go for you.

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 March 11 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ireneaf

Thanks for that info,  I dont know the area at all, 
If you find anyone to ask,  while you are going through next week i would appreciate that, 

Alexander  had lived in the are for a while with his son and family,  his son Duncan Munro and his wife Isabella Munro (nee McIntosh)  was the was the School teacher / School master at Dochgarroch school  from 1884  - 1909 ,  the father Alexander is with them in 1891,  Although Alexander was born 1823 in Urray,  Ross and Crom...maybe that means he may be buried in Ross and Crom ??

Any help is greatly aprreciated....

Thanks in advance

Daizi