Author Topic: Dochgarroch death 1893  (Read 5629 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Dochgarroch death 1893
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 20 April 23 10:24 BST (UK) »
Emilia may also have died young. The 1841 census lists at Millarton, Inverness Elizabeth Hitch, 45; Maria Hitch, 15; Margaret Hitch, 10; William Hitch, 13, all born Inverness-shire. No Emilia.

William's listing is odd. If he is the one baptised in April 1824, he would have been 17 on the day of the 1841 census, not 13, and should have been listed as 15. Also, I'd expect the eldest son to be listed before rather than after his younger sisters.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 20 April 23 13:35 BST (UK) »
Did Elizabeth Cameron died before 1855? Can't easily see a death entry for her so far.

This looks like her with her sister in 1851 www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a14cf07f4040b9d6ed363e4/elizabeth-hitch-1851-inverness-shire-inverness-1800-?locale=en

Do you have her parents' names?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 20 April 23 14:38 BST (UK) »
I think Elizabeth emigrated to Canada as there is this death in the Inverness Advertiser 10 May 1873

" At London, Ontario, on the 15th ult, Elizabeth Cameron, relict of William Hitch, late of Dochfour, aged 77".

This would suggest she was older than shown in the 1851 census. She can be found in Canada in both the 1861 and 1871 census. I cannot see a death cert for her.

Presumably she emigrated with or to be with one of her children?

( There is also a death notice for William Henry Hitch in the Inverness Courier 16 Sept 1892

"At 7 Claude Villas, East Dulwich, London SE, on the 11th inst, formerly of Millerton, near Inverness".).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 20 April 23 15:19 BST (UK) »
That is helpful, William  :)

I think it was daughter Margaret Ann who headed off to Canada. She was married to Angus McBean and looks to have left for Canada between 1855 to 1858 going by the births of the McBean children.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 20 April 23 15:44 BST (UK) »
Yes I see now that Elizabeth is with the McBeans in the 1861 census in Middlesex, Ontario. Angus and Margaret Ann are at the foot of one census sheet with Elizabeth at the top of the next with the children listed below her. ( She is also with them in the 1871 census).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Kirst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 21 April 23 05:45 BST (UK) »
Emilia may also have died young. The 1841 census lists at Millarton, Inverness Elizabeth Hitch, 45; Maria Hitch, 15; Margaret Hitch, 10; William Hitch, 13, all born Inverness-shire. No Emilia.

William's listing is odd. If he is the one baptised in April 1824, he would have been 17 on the day of the 1841 census, not 13, and should have been listed as 15. Also, I'd expect the eldest son to be listed before rather than after his younger sisters.

Yes, I wonder if Emilia did die young.

I saw the 1841 Census on Ancestry but thought it had Maria and William as both 15, still not correct but I have found the 1841 ages to be out. And yes, strange that William is not listed first.

Offline Kirst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 21 April 23 05:53 BST (UK) »
Did Elizabeth Cameron died before 1855? Can't easily see a death entry for her so far.

This looks like her with her sister in 1851 www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a14cf07f4040b9d6ed363e4/elizabeth-hitch-1851-inverness-shire-inverness-1800-?locale=en

Do you have her parents' names?

Monica

Yes, Margaret is Elizabeth's sister. Elizabeth, along with Maria (married name Paterson) & Margaret (married name McBean) moved to Canada and the US it seems for Margaret & Angus McBean. I can't find any death record for Elizabeth as yet. Nor for Maria or Margaret.

The names of Elizabeth's, and Margaret's, parents I have from another Ancestry tree as James & Margaret Fletcher but I am not sure if it is accurate. There was a Robert Cameron who also worked at Dochfour and I wonder if Elizabeth is related to him and it may be how she met William, a butler at Dochfour. A few surmises there.

Kirst

Offline Kirst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 21 April 23 05:58 BST (UK) »
I think Elizabeth emigrated to Canada as there is this death in the Inverness Advertiser 10 May 1873

" At London, Ontario, on the 15th ult, Elizabeth Cameron, relict of William Hitch, late of Dochfour, aged 77".

This would suggest she was older than shown in the 1851 census. She can be found in Canada in both the 1861 and 1871 census. I cannot see a death cert for her.

Presumably she emigrated with or to be with one of her children?

( There is also a death notice for William Henry Hitch in the Inverness Courier 16 Sept 1892

"At 7 Claude Villas, East Dulwich, London SE, on the 11th inst, formerly of Millerton, near Inverness".).

William

Oh yes, this is extremely helpful, thank you so much!

One of the missing pieces of the puzzle found, feeling most grateful Millmoor, thank you kindly.

Yes, your presumption of moving to Canada I believe is correct as both Maria & Margaret moved to Canada then USA (Margaret and maybe Maria?).

Offline Kirst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 21 April 23 06:03 BST (UK) »
And I see now there appears to be only one William Hitch born 1779 in Gloucestershire but I guess we can't be certain it was 1779. Still puzzled as to who his parents are and trying to confirm Elizabeth & sister Margaret's parents.

Very grateful for Elizabeth's death notice and interesting that there is now more scope of her birth year.