Author Topic: Dochgarroch death 1893  (Read 5630 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Dochgarroch death 1893
« Reply #27 on: Friday 21 April 23 06:25 BST (UK) »
I saw the 1841 Census on Ancestry but thought it had Maria and William as both 15, still not correct but I have found the 1841 ages to be out. And yes, strange that William is not listed first.
I looked at the transcription on FreeCEN - to be sure you'd need to view the original document at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.

Normally FreeCEN is more accurate because its transcriptions are done twice by people who know the area, and if there is a conflict someone else looks at it to decide.

Officially ages in 1841 are supposed to have been rounded down to the nearest 5 years so for example 15 should mean any age between 15 and 19, and 45 any age between 45 and 49.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Kirst

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 21 April 23 06:32 BST (UK) »
That sources sound more reliable.

And thank you for the insight on the age rounding, that makes a lot of sense now :)

I hope to spend some more time searching this evening (I'm in NZ).

Offline Kirst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 21 April 23 11:25 BST (UK) »
Did Elizabeth Cameron died before 1855? Can't easily see a death entry for her so far.

This looks like her with her sister in 1851 www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a14cf07f4040b9d6ed363e4/elizabeth-hitch-1851-inverness-shire-inverness-1800-?locale=en

Do you have her parents' names?

Monica

Yes, Margaret is Elizabeth's sister. Elizabeth, along with Maria (married name Paterson) & Margaret (married name McBean) moved to Canada and the US it seems for Margaret & Angus McBean. I can't find any death record for Elizabeth as yet. Nor for Maria or Margaret.

The names of Elizabeth's, and Margaret's, parents I have from another Ancestry tree as James & Margaret Fletcher but I am not sure if it is accurate. There was a Robert Cameron who also worked at Dochfour and I wonder if Elizabeth is related to him and it may be how she met William, a butler at Dochfour. A few surmises there.

Kirst

I think the parents are Finlay Cameron and Margaret MacDonald based on the 1841 Census where it names Finlay Cameron,70, and Margaret Cameron, 50, as living at the Address of Charleston. In the 1851 Census it notes Head, Margaret Cameron, and Sister, Elizabeth Hitch at the address of Charleston Cottages. It seems Finlay died in 1850 and was buried at Lochend Cemetry.

Robert's, born 1802, working at Dochfour, parents noted as Finlay Cameron and Margaret MacDonald. Also likewise for a Ewen Cameron born 1797. Still some gaps but some things seem to point in the same direction.

Also a Finlay Cameron was a witness at two baptisms, that of Margaret Cameron 1846:
"Additional information Witnesses: Alex Mcpherson & Finlay Cameron. Residence Dochfour. Father's occupation Carpenter. Father's first name Robert. Father's last name Cameron. Mother's first name Rachel. Mother's last name Kennedy." Possibly a brother or father of Robert.

And for that of William Henry Hitch 1832:
"Father Occupation Servant.
Residence Dochfour.
William Hitch (Servant with Bailie of Dochfour) & his wife Elizabeth Cameron (alias) MacMillan had a child baptised by Rev. Charles Fyvie named William Henry.
Witnesses John Cameron and Findlay Camer"

I'm not sure on where the (alias) MacMillan fits in.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 21 April 23 15:46 BST (UK) »
Just to add to what you already have there is this death notice in The Inverness Advertiser and Ross-Shire Chronicle 28 May 1850

"At Charleston Cottage, near Inverness, suddenly, on the 10th inst., Mr Finlay Cameron, aged 83 years".

(Also in the Inverness Courier 23 May 1850).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 21 April 23 17:10 BST (UK) »
I had seen this entry:

Elizabeth Cameron
Culanlon, Glen Urquhart, IN, SCT
William Hitch
Registered at death as "Cameron".
Finlay (alias Cameron) M'millan [011] Margaret M'donald
www.clanmacmillan.org/pages/members/maol/indexes/maol_a-z/e.pdf

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 21 April 23 17:27 BST (UK) »

...Robert's, born 1802, working at Dochfour, parents noted as Finlay Cameron and Margaret MacDonald. Also likewise for a Ewen Cameron born 1797. Still some gaps but some things seem to point in the same direction.

Also a Finlay Cameron was a witness at two baptisms, that of Margaret Cameron 1846:
"Additional information Witnesses: Alex Mcpherson & Finlay Cameron. Residence Dochfour. Father's occupation Carpenter. Father's first name Robert. Father's last name Cameron. Mother's first name Rachel. Mother's last name Kennedy." Possibly a brother or father of Robert...

Monumental inscriptions at Chapel Yard, Inverness:

Finlay Cameron
Birth year 1829
Age 69
Death year 1898

2310. {Large pointed, eroding} In memory of Robert CAMERON, factor, Dochfour, who died at Inverness 2 April 1877, aged 74 years; and his wife Rachel KENNEDY, who died at Inverness 24 July 1888, aged 81 years; and their children:- Donald, who died November 1830, aged 9 months; Maria, who died 16th March 1847, aged 12 years; Evan, who died 2nd March 1853, aged 21 years; William, who died at Edinburgh 31st Decr 1867, aged 42 years and is there interred in Echo Bank Cemetery; Jean, widow of James McMILLAN, West Chester, New York, who died at Inverness 14 July 1877, aged 50 years and is interred in Lochend Burying Ground. (base) Also Donald CAMERON, their youngest son, who died at Leinster Lodge, Inverness on the 4th Feb. 1915, aged 75; {lower base} Margaret FORBES, died 15 February 1915, aged 68 years, buried at Petty; Finlay CAMERON, died at Banff November 1898, aged 69 years.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 21 April 23 17:30 BST (UK) »
At Lochend Burial Ground:

Evan Cameron
Birth year 1800
Age 65
Death year 1865

36. {Ornate, grey granite} Sacred to the memory of Evan CAMERON, Collector of Inland Revenue, Liverpool, who died at Birnam, Dunkeld 19th May 1865, aged 65 years; also his mother Margaret McDONALD, who died at Charleston, Kinmylies 23rd December 1838, aged 79 years; And his father Finlay CAMERON, who died there 1st May 1850, aged 82 years. [lair 130]

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 21 April 23 18:07 BST (UK) »
One of my main lines went from MacIsaac to MacDonald and often to be found with the alias /or on records up to the mid 1850-60s. After this, MacIsaac stopped being used and MacDonald became the main surname.

So, just checking the OPRs on SP brings up the following christening or birth entries:

All in Urquhart and Glenmoriston

Parents Finlay MCMILLAN and Margaret McDonald (there are spelling variants on these names on the index so use wildcard symbol!)

09/07/1788 - Margaret
04/06/1792 - Mary
18/12/1794 - William
11/03/1797 - Elspet
16/08/1799 - John

Marriage or Banns here:

FINLAY MCMILLAN and
MARGRATE MCDOND.
20/05/1786
10720 / 8
Urquhart and Glenmoriston

There is then the OPR entries you have, in the same parish, for Finlay CAMERON and Margaret McDonald:

05/12/1797 - Owen
22/10/1802 - Robert

All work in hand, needing further consideration really.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 21 April 23 18:10 BST (UK) »
The name Elspet can be a variant for Elizabeth. See www.whatsinaname.net/php/search.php?action=search2&search_name=elspet

Monica