Author Topic: Dochgarroch death 1893  (Read 5626 times)

Offline Kirst

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dochgarroch death 1893
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 25 April 23 23:36 BST (UK) »
I wonder what the likelihood is of his age at death being accurate when stated he was aged 54 years. Although it also mentions he was their butler for 31 years making him approximately 23 years when he started which seems right.

Other trees on Ancestry have him being born in 1792 (son of John Hitch & Elizabeth (Betty) Smith, which I had thought wasn't accurate initially, before having read the Lochend Cemetery inscription which confirms this. Also because I found a record of William Hitch 1792 dying in 1793.

However if his age was accurate at 54 years I can only find one William Hitch b 1779 to William Hitch and Mary Wilkes but they're not connected, from what I can see, to a Dimock.

And if his age was inaccurate at 54 years then perhaps he is the William Hitch b 1882 to Thomas Hitch and Mary Heaven, I can't rule this William out as I can't find anything on him after his baptism, the same for his sister Esther Hitch and his mother.

The searching continues.

Kirst

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 25 April 23 23:43 BST (UK) »
It shows that he either left a will or he died intestate and his estate was administered by Elizabeth Cameron. Scotland and England have different systems regarding wills. William died in Scotland and you would expect to find any will or testament to be dealt with there. That it was an English Court which dealt with his will or administration suggests to me that he had property or assets in England.

Unfortunately letters of administration for the Prerogative Court of Canterbury ( ecclesiastical courts dealt with wills and administrations until 1858) have not been digitised.

If you have access to Ancestry there are some pre 1858 wills for the surname Hitch in Gloucestershire which might be worth a look.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Kirst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 25 April 23 23:51 BST (UK) »
It shows that he either left a will or he died intestate and his estate was administered by Elizabeth Cameron. Scotland and England have different systems regarding wills. William died in Scotland and you would expect to find any will or testament to be dealt with there. That it was an English Court which dealt with his will or administration suggests to me that he had property or assets in England.

Unfortunately letters of administration for the Prerogative Court of Canterbury ( ecclesiastical courts dealt with wills and administrations until 1858) have not been digitised.

If you have access to Ancestry there are some pre 1858 wills for the surname Hitch in Gloucestershire which might be worth a look.

William

Thank you William for clarifying. That certainly does indicate a link to England.

I was looking for a will for Thomas Hitch where there is a burial recorded in 1802, I can't be certain it is the same Thomas but it seems likely. I've not found a will as yet. Strange I thought that nothing can be found on his children Esther and William nor his wife Mary.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Kirst

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 26 April 23 09:25 BST (UK) »
There is a detailed will from 1818 for a John Hitch of Leonard Stanley, a clothier. His wife is called Betty and he refers to his two sons, John and Samuel as well as his friend John Dimock. Betty appears to have died intestate in 1823, son Samuel, a surgeon, acting as administrator. If this is the same John and Betty in those Ancestry trees this would suggest you are correct to rule them out.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Kirst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 26 April 23 10:03 BST (UK) »
There is a detailed will from 1818 for a John Hitch of Leonard Stanley, a clothier. His wife is called Betty and he refers to his two sons, John and Samuel as well as his friend John Dimock. Betty appears to have died intestate in 1823, son Samuel, a surgeon, acting as administrator. If this is the same John and Betty in those Ancestry trees this would suggest you are correct to rule them out.

William

Yes, this is the same John and Betty. Thank you for confirming my thoughts on ruling out their son William b 1792-1793.

Kirst

Offline Kirst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 19 May 23 12:19 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find if John Cameron who married Elizabeth Fraser 15 June 1814, residence Dochfour, is related to Elizabeth/Elspet Cameron.

Some of John and Elizabeth's children have names that seem to be family names such as Emilia/Amelia, Finlay & Ewen, there's also Margaret, William, Thomas, Elizabeth & Simon from what I can see. I thought this John may be been Elizabeth/Elspet Cameron's brother but his DOB doesn't fit, he'd be too young with 1799. Because in 1814 his residence is Dochfour and some of the children were born there it seems there must be a connection somewhere. Just where?

I'm still trying to connect William Hitch to Gloucestershire, so far it seems he may be the son of Thomas Hitch and Mary Heaven, bap in 1782 but there isn't much showing for this family.

I'd love to hear if there's any suggestions, thank you.