Author Topic: Dochgarroch death 1893  (Read 5627 times)

Offline irenaf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dochgarroch death 1893
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 March 11 15:05 GMT (UK) »
HI Dalzi
You hadn't mentioned the fact that he was teacher at Dochgarroch school. My cousin wo is from that area sent me some info recently as I am interested in the social history of the 18/19C. She related some stories from the "Log Book and the Register for Dochgarroch School 1875- 1914.  They probably don't go before the Education Act 1872." These log boooks may mention your relative - I will ask my cousin if she knows any more. This may make it easier to trace as there should be some newspaper article or such that will help. Ireneaf

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 20 March 11 21:41 GMT (UK) »

Hi Irene

I have this info,  that was sent to me,   any info  greatly recieved ......

Dochgarroch Primary School

Thank you for your enquiry concerning Dochgarroch Primary School and one of the school’s former teachers, Duncan Munro.

I have checked the County of Inverness valuation rolls, which list the proprietors and tenants of properties in the County of Inverness. According to the valuation roll for the year 1883-1884 [Ref: CI/4/2/3], the tenant of the Teacher’s House at Dochgarroch was a John Chisholm. In the valuation roll for the following year, 1884-1885, the teacher residing in the Teacher’s House is Duncan Munro. Duncan Munro is then listed as being resident in the Teacher’s House until the valuation roll for the year 1909-1910 [Ref: CI/4/2/20], when the teacher is given as a Mrs Margaret Colville.

I have also checked in the Inverness and Bona School Board Minutes, 1905-1914 [Ref: CI/5/4/2/2]. In the minutes of the School Board meeting held in Inverness, 16th April 1909, I found reference to the board having resumed discussion of Mr Munro’s retiring allowance, stating that he had thirty six years of recorded service. Going further back, I found the following reference, transcribed below, in the minutes of the School Board meeting held on 5th March 1909:

There was submitted letter from Mr Munro, Dochgarroch dated 20th ult. resigning his appointment owing to his health having broken down. The Board accepted the resignation with regret, and at the same time record their high appreciation of Mr Munro faithful services as Teacher of this School for the past twenty six years. The date of Mr Munro’s retirement was left undetermined until it could be ascertained when Mrs Colvill would commence her duties. Consideration of Mr Munro’s retiring allowance was deferred until next meeting.

(I believe ‘ult’ is an abbreviation for the previous month, so in this case, 20th February 1909)

Unfortunately, the School Board minutes for Inverness and Bona only begin in 1892, too late to find further details regarding Mr Munro’s appointment and where he may have been teaching for the ten years prior to his appointment at Dochgarroch School.

I then looked at Dochgarroch School Log Book, 1875-1914 [Ref: CI/5/3/179a]. I found an entry for March 3rd-8th 1884 stating that, ‘There was no school save on Monday this week, owing to the present Master leaving the place on account of infirm health’. The ‘present Master’ referred to was John Chisholm. The next entry states that school resumed under the new master on 14th March 1884, although, unfortunately, the new master is not identified by name at this point.

On 17th October 1884, there is reference to ‘…no sewing this week – Mrs Munro unwell’. It would appear that the new staff are first listed by name in an entry for 27th February 1885 when it was reported that, ‘The condition of this school has very considerably improved under the new Master, and it is believed that the improvement will be progressive…’, Staff Duncan Munro, Mrs Munro, Mary Campbell, Assistant Teacher.

DAizi
Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia
Dixon Australia and Cumberland

Offline irenaf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 March 11 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Daizi
Well had a look at the book of Lochend inscriptions while in Inverness but no luck with your ancestor. I did wonder where his wife was buried because he is likely buried in the same place. Since you mantioned Urray, I had a look at the inscriptions for there too. There were a few graves of men with the same name but different dates of death - very different. I asked while in the Genealogy Centre about burials in Tomnachurich Cemetery. Records of people buried there are held by Inverness Crematorium - telephone number (44) 1463 717849. So if you don't have any luck you can always contact them. Good Luck with that.
Interesting to see you also looking for Frasers. One of my ancestors was a farmer at Balnafroig (late 18C). The farm is near Dores, as another correspondent mentioned, South of Inverness. The Frasers of Kiltarlity were a completely different 'group' from those on S Lochness - even those on the South were separated into different groups. Late 18 and early 19C there was not a lot of integration between the different sides of Loch Ness Frasers. My ancestors are on the Dores side so I understand about the difficulties in searching for which Fraser. Best idea is follow the Christian names. Good luck with this too. Irene

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 March 11 07:52 BST (UK) »

Hi Irene, 

Thanks for trying,  i appreciate it,  Alexander had 2 wives,  his 1st wife.  Margaret ( nee McClean)  died 1874  and his 2nd wife mary (nee Fraser)died 1888,    both died in Fannellan,  Kilarlity.

Yes i have Frasers.... Mary Fraser born 1832 in Kilarlty daughter of Simon Fraser born Agaish   and Mary Fraser (nee Fraz/ser) born Breachachy

Thanks again

Daizi
Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia
Dixon Australia and Cumberland

Offline Kirst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 April 23 11:01 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am wondering if anyone still has a record of the inscriptions at Lochend as I am searching one for the surname Hitch.
Many thanks, Kirst

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 April 23 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Kirst

There is this mention at Lochend for the surname:

Evan James Hitch
Birth year 1829
Country Scotland
Age 3
Death year 1832

Inscription 39. {Slab, flaking badly in places} This st[one] is placed here by Wi[l]liam HITCH, Doch[four] in memory of his son Ev[an] James HITCH, who departed this life the 10th day of March 1832, aged 3 years. “Sic transit Gloria mundi”. Likewise to the memory of Georgiana McL HITCH, who departed this life the 20th day of November 1833, aged 1 month.

Also this one:

William Hitch
Birth year 1779
Age 54
Death year 1833

Inscription 38. {Slab} Sacred to the memory of Mr William HITCH, for 31 years butler in the family of Dochfour, during which time, by his long and faithfull services, he obtained the esteem and approbation of every member of the family and died regretted by all who knew him. It pleased Almighty God to remove him by a severe visitation from this world of trial and, though suddenly called away, he was not unprepared to meet his great change, but, resting all his hope and trust in the many merits of his Redeemer, he looked to happy entrance into those heavenly mansions where sorrow and sighing shall be no more for ever. His loss will be long and deeply felt by his afflicted family, who offer this humble tribute of respect to his memory. He died December 6th 1833, aged 54 years.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kirst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 April 23 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Kirst

There is this mention at Lochend for the surname:

Evan James Hitch
Birth year 1829
Country Scotland
Age 3
Death year 1832

Inscription 39. {Slab, flaking badly in places} This st[one] is placed here by Wi[l]liam HITCH, Doch[four] in memory of his son Ev[an] James HITCH, who departed this life the 10th day of March 1832, aged 3 years. “Sic transit Gloria mundi”. Likewise to the memory of Georgiana McL HITCH, who departed this life the 20th day of November 1833, aged 1 month.

Also this one:

William Hitch
Birth year 1779
Age 54
Death year 1833

Inscription 38. {Slab} Sacred to the memory of Mr William HITCH, for 31 years butler in the family of Dochfour, during which time, by his long and faithfull services, he obtained the esteem and approbation of every member of the family and died regretted by all who knew him. It pleased Almighty God to remove him by a severe visitation from this world of trial and, though suddenly called away, he was not unprepared to meet his great change, but, resting all his hope and trust in the many merits of his Redeemer, he looked to happy entrance into those heavenly mansions where sorrow and sighing shall be no more for ever. His loss will be long and deeply felt by his afflicted family, who offer this humble tribute of respect to his memory. He died December 6th 1833, aged 54 years.

Monica

Hi Monica,

Thank you so very much for sharing this information. It is exactly what I am looking for, thank you, thank you.

I had been trying to find information on them. I am still unsure of where William originally came from, I think Gloucestershire, and what the middle name McL. is for Georgiana. 

William married Elizabeth Cameron and I think there may be some of her family there also.

I think they all worked at Dochfour for the Baillie family. And I think William may have met Elizabeth when they both worked there.

Lots of thinking, trying to find the answers.

Thank you kindly, Kirst

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 April 23 19:04 BST (UK) »
Some of the christenings of the children for William and wife Elizabeth are showing on the Old Parish Registers. Just in case you haven't seen them:

13/04/1824 - William Henry
31/01/1825 - Maria
23/02/1826 - Margaret Ann
09/04/1829 - Evan James
17/03/1831 - Emilia Baillie

No reference to Georgina born 1833 (always the case that one you need to check is not there!).

A fairly complete list of their children following their marriage in 1823.

Is this the birth entry that you think might be his? www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J3SJ-V1M

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kirst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 19 April 23 22:31 BST (UK) »
So true - always the way!

With William, father dying in 1833, this list of children does look mostly complete with only Georgiana missing, I wonder if that was because she was only 1 month when she died?

I have found two possible 1779 births of a William in Gloucester, the one for your link, thank you, and a second for Gloucester parents William and Martha.  Apparently, there is a link to the Hitches of Stonehouse & Stroud but I can't find a birth there that matches. With Gloucester being closer to Stonehouse & Stroud I thought it could be that one but still hunting for a link. It's not a common surname so I am hopeful.

I've also lost any trace of Emilia Baillie Hitch after her birth. It seems she was named after the Baillie family which William, her father, worked for. But unsure what happened to her after her father's death.

Thanks so much for your help, it's really wonderful :)

Kirst