Author Topic: Ladykirk Farm 1851  (Read 25487 times)

Offline Scrivener

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ladykirk Farm 1851
« Reply #99 on: Wednesday 05 September 12 02:56 BST (UK) »
Hello there

Just spoke to one of my newly discovered Smith relatives and she tells me she has Young details on her Smith family tree.

This tree may show the Smith/Young/Ladykirk intersections...

I will have a look in a mo. Also she tell me she has all the Norham church yard details of headstones and so when I go up north next month I will have a look at them.

...that would be fantastic- and may well provide some great clues...

Also if you have time to trawl through the Norham parish records which can be found on line which I found through Family Search - Diocese of Durham Bishops Transcripts ca. 1700-1900 you may find something about the Youngs - I haven't looked for three years but am convinced I noticed mention of  Grace Annes first husband.

...I will look for these records...

You may like to look at my family tree on Ancestory as well. There is obviously a connection between these Youngs as she ended up at the farm.

I would be very interested to see your Ancestry tree- please message me the name of the tree so I can look for it on Ancestry.

Will try to up load the photo - it is New Ladykirk by the way.

...great.  I will look out for it!

Thank you ;-)

Offline Violetta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Wednesday 05 September 12 05:29 BST (UK) »
Smith Martin Family Tree. Have yet to check the other smith which will do now.
Jane

Offline Scrivener

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Sunday 16 September 12 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan

The family only remained at Ladykirk Farm for a short while. I think that we've traced them all back to Northumberland.

Gadget

Where I could obtain a list of the tenant farmers at Ladykirk for circa 1795 to 1825?

A list of the tenant farmers at Ladykirk between 1795 to 1825 would give me a list of individuals to research- especially useful given that I would only be looking for tenant farmers named Young.

I would be grateful for any help ;-)

Offline Soubeyran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Friday 20 October 23 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hiya,

I lucked on this thread as I upgraded on Ancestry.co.uk the other day: going through my tree & just noticed my gg grandmother Mary McLeod was previously listed as born in "Ladykirk, Berwickshire", but I clicked on a 'Hint' which led me to her christening record which listed her residence as "Ladykirk", in Durham, 1825.

Her sister Mary was (also?) christened in Norham Northumberland the following year, but also resident/born in "Ladykirk".

It looks like their dad/my ggg grandfather George McLeod (b. 1796 Norham, Northumberland) was the "young tenant" you seek. :-)

He moved on.. the next record I have is the birth of his son George in Coldingham, Berwickshire in 1834.

Please feel free to ask questions: these details are all new to me this evening - the christening record *which I saw and read!* - wasn't saved by Ancestry!

So I'll be researching George & his family further in the next few days.

Oh, and this thread clarified a niggle: someone mentioned Ford: by 1901 Mary McLeod's son in law William Armstrong (my g grandfather) was Farm Steward at Westfield Farm in Ford.. now I know how he probably ended up crossing to 'the wrong side of the border' - as my mum used to say! - leading to meeting my g grandmother, from Wigtownshire who was a maid on the farm :-)

PS.. re Ladykirk/Berwickshire/Northumberland, it's clear the farm/s was/were in Northumberland, but I lucked on a historical site "Ladykirk" (attached, whilst checking how close Norham was to Ford), which is *north* of the Tweed.. not sure of the boundary changes in the area, but this may have caused the confusion. :-)

Offline Soubeyran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Saturday 21 October 23 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

an update: I tracked down Mary McLeod's birth record, and she was christened at Norham but with the residence at Ladykirk across the border in Berwickshire.

And I'm afraid her dad George was a hedger, so an employee of the tenant.

But he & his wife were also christened at Norham, which probably explains why their 1st 2 daughters were christened there rather than at Ladykirk church.

I know from other ancestors English & Scottish farmers commonly used to work either side of the border, so probably explains other people living just across the border in Berwickshire getting christened in Norham church.