Author Topic: Hugh C. Hill  (Read 10918 times)

Offline Fawlty Rover

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh C. Hill
« Reply #18 on: Monday 10 January 11 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi

So much information so quickly it's hard to take it all in..... I could be related to Vanessa Redgrave and a World War 2 spy?!"£... not to mention international Rugby and Cricket players.

Did any of them stay in Canada? did Hugh die in Swansea or is he buried in Ontario?

I thought I was asking such a simple question......

Try one other thing, do you know where I might get a copy of an obituary for Roland (or Rowland) Pretty Hill (cartoonist "RIP", died I think Dec 1949 Fulham London)

Offline Fawlty Rover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 10 January 11 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Though only other things that concern me in this are Alfred Edward is also described as Edward Alfred and of course Hamilton Donald being described as just Donald. I know Hamilton-Hill cannot be common but can we be sure these are the same people, and with what level of confidence?

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 10 January 11 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Ok, 1916 passenger manifest from New York to London lists
Annie Seaborne Hill  wife   aged 43  last residence Canada
Hamilton Donald Hill  son  aged 8
Alfred Edward Hill  son  aged 7

contact address is given as 47 Threadneedle St, which I think used to the address of the Bank of Montreal.

As to confidence levels - personally I am 99.9% confident on Hamilton Donald Hamilton-HIll - he went by the name Donald according to all the info about SOE etc, and his obit is in the name Donald Hamilton-HIll, but his death is indexed in his full name.
ALfred Edward, I am less confident, but only because it appears that he was registered as A E, but then went by E A!  However, on the 1911 canada census he is listed as Edward so perhaps his parents felt that they were doing the proper thing by naming him after his grandfather, but then prefered Edward for everyday!  The rugby playing Hamilton-Hill is always referred to as E A (try googling E A Hamilton-Hill - a rugby photo pops up for him!)  Then google him as Edward Hamilton-Hill and there are loads of references to his work with setting up a Maltese TV station, including some photos of him and his wife Diana

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 10 January 11 16:10 GMT (UK) »
P.S.  This has made my day - I've been laid up with pneumonia and the after effects for nearly a month now and this is the first day I've felt enthused about anything for ages!

And as for the honoured circles that your family move in, well, I'll have to practise my curtseying!

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 10 January 11 16:15 GMT (UK) »

Try one other thing, do you know where I might get a copy of an obituary for Roland (or Rowland) Pretty Hill (cartoonist "RIP", died I think Dec 1949 Fulham London)

I'm assuming you are in the UK, you might find that your library card gives you remote access to the Times Digital Archive.  From my county libraries page there is a link to what they call the online reference library and from there you can link to the TDA.  If you can do that, then you will be able to access the TImes obit for Mr R P Hill dated 31 Dec 1949

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 10 January 11 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Looking at another passenger manifest, this time for Sept 1924, it looks as if Donald was an attending Dulwich College, which might have admissions records in their archives which may mention parentage.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 10 January 11 16:32 GMT (UK) »
In July 1924 we have Hamilton crossing from the UK to Canada (last address Dulwich College) and in Sept 1924 we have his return (intended address Dulwich College), so can we assume that Hugh and Annie are still in Canada at this point?

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 10 January 11 16:45 GMT (UK) »
In 1927 we have Anne Hamilton-Hill, last resident at 92 Alleyn Road, Dulwich, not accompanied by husband, travelling to Coruna and apparently intending to make Spain her permanent residence.

In 1932, with the same address, Anne is travelling to Buenos Airies, again not accompanied by anyone, but this time keeping England as her permanent residence

Offline Fawlty Rover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 10 January 11 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

I am glad I have made your day and I hope your convalescence and health continues to improve. Quite frankly you have made my day too... Conversations this afternoon in my household have been interesting to say the least. I am in the UK (Cumbria) though of course my childhood was spent in Astwood Bank where I (and Hugh) originate. Thank you so much for your help so far, it would have taken me ages to reach the same point myself.
The question I am still tossing around in my mind though is why he went in the first place and when? Astwood Bank is a sleepy Worcestershire village. Most of the residents never stray more than half a dozen miles in their lifetime and so far in my research (which has unearthed about 200 relations) most of them never have gone further.
Are you able to advise on when he first left the UK and how?