Author Topic: Hugh C. Hill  (Read 10917 times)

Offline Fawlty Rover

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh C. Hill
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Just need to check the dates.

The H Hill that took a ship to Boston 30th July 1891 so probably not him because...

First Cricket match in Montreal July 1890 ??

Present in Montreal Census in 1891 at University, what date was the actual census?

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 19:16 GMT (UK) »
1891 Canadian census was taken on 6 April 1891. 

Unfortunately the outward bound passenger lists on Find My Past start at 1890  :-\  I don't know what other ones are available.

Offline Fawlty Rover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 10 June 11 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone,
                       Well a long time has past since this thread was started and my searches for more information about Hugh Cyril Hill keep drawing blanks. He married Annie Hamilton in Peterborough, Canada in 1905. I have managed to make contact with one of his grandsons and I have learnt from him that unfortunately Hugh and Annie split up shortly after the birth of their children. Annie and the children came to England to live, I believe leaving Hugh back in Canada. I know Hugh served in the Canadian forces during World War 1. The only contact the family had with him after the break up was a brief meeting with one of his sons at Twickenham in England in 1936. Nothing was heard of him after that. Having searched far and wide (but bearing in mind I am still new to this!) the only possible death I can find for a Hugh C Hill is in Swansea in 1950. As far as I know my family have no connections to Swansea as we originate from Worcestershire, but one way or another I need to prove or disprove if this is him. Any ideas how I can do this? Only one Hugh C Hill was born around 1872 (his birth date) according to freebmd and therefore the Swansea death seems the only possible match (calculating back from the age at death), though of course he could have died abroad somewhere and/or the Hugh who died in Swansea could have been born elsewhere.
I believe a death certificate would name an informer but I don't believe this would be a family member and in any case the informer is almost certainly deceased now.
Does anyone have any ideas how I could prove the person who died in Swansea in 1950 is him?
HELP!

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 11 June 11 07:00 BST (UK) »
You could look for an obit in the local paper - Swansea library should be able to help you http://www.swansea.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=10956

or look to see if he left a will http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/HMCSCourtFinder/Search.do?court_id=365

Good luck!

Offline Fawlty Rover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 12 June 11 10:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Spidey, coming to my help yet again!

This character is extremely illusive, which only makes me want to find out more...

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 13 June 11 11:24 BST (UK) »
before you purchase the certificate have a look to see if there are anyo ther births that could tie in with that death
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Palmy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 07 December 12 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hugh Cyril Hill married Ann Seaborne Hamilton 1905 Ontario Canada, where both sons were born, Donald 1907 and Edward 1908.
1911 Canada census shows family.
Death on Donald gives 1901 as birth year but is a mistake.