Author Topic: 'Westwood', Highgate, Heaton, Bradford?  (Read 4204 times)

Offline mew64

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
'Westwood', Highgate, Heaton, Bradford?
« on: Monday 10 January 11 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
 I wonder if anyone can help me please. I've received the death certificate of my great aunt Daisy this morning, she died at the age of 74 on February 6th 1966 at the Royal Infirmary Bradford, in the occupation column it says   "of  'Westwood' Highgate, Heaton  Bradford, a spinster of no occupation."
 I know she was a housekeeper in her earlier years in Bradford, and  wondered if she may have been living with her former employer. Does anyone know where 'Westwood' could have been please?
Many thanks!

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: 'Westwood', Highgate, Heaton, Bradford?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 January 11 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Just had a look on Google Maps;  Highgate is a road in Heaton, Bradford and has a mix of old and modern properties.  Westwood might have been demolished to build the newer houses.    :-\

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline The Mc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 January 11 23:58 GMT (UK) »

Offline mew64

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks for the replies, I had looked on Google street view thank you, and it looks likely that the article about the houses mentions the 'Westwood' I'm looking for, do you think it was a large house with grounds?
Thanks again for your help.

Offline mew64

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just to update this thread, I contacted the Bradford Archives yesterday with the same questions, not really expecting anything really, I received a reply today with a huge amount of information, how kind! Here's the interesting parts..
'Westwood' was a house and grounds situated in Highgate, Heaton. Up until 1938 the owner was Ernest Turner, who was a yarn merchant he died that year. In the Barrett's directory for Bradford 1965 the only mention  of 'Westwood' was 102 Highgate - D Stanley  Upper Westwood. (I won't say the other names as they may be still living)
So I think it's likely that Daisy was housekeeper for the 'big house' and that her employer allowed her to live in maybe a cottage in the grounds.
Many thanks for your help and interest

Offline Jane_R

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 July 12 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hello.

I have just registered and followed your thread. I was brought up in Heaton, not far from Highgate. In the late 1960's Westwood was the home of the French Consul to Bradford. Heaton was a very affluent area thanks to the wool trade and there are many large houses on Highgate.

At the beginning of the 1980's Westwood and the land was aquired by the Flower Fund Homes of Bradford. I think that the property was demolished and certainly bungalows for the elderly were built in the grounds.

Was great aunt Daisy buried in Heaton?  If so my husband is involved in the Heaton Grave yard restoration project and I would be happy to have a look in the grave yard. My mother still lives near by so it's no problem.

Best wishes
Jane _R

Offline mew64

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 July 12 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, thank you so much for the information, I recently discovered that Daisy was brought back to Lincolnshire and buried in the local cemetery along with her siblings, I appreciate your kind offer, thank you once again!