Author Topic: "Found Drowned"  (Read 2721 times)

Offline Wilkinson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Found Drowned"
« on: Monday 10 January 11 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi all you helpful people,

I've just received copies of the death certificates of my ggg grandparents Peter and Ann Atkinson. Ann died in November 1847 of typhus fever and Peter some 4 months later on 22nd. March 1848. They left behind eight children ranging in age from 20 years to 9 years of age.

Peter was the tenant Miller at Ancroft Mill  and the certificate says he was "found drowned" at the Mill. I'm assuming this was either in the mill race or river feeding the race. The Coroner of Alnwick  (Thomas Adams Rupell) was involved. His name is included on the certificate.

Although a long time ago I'm wondering if it might be possible to find out more about this event? Might there be reports somewhere such as a news sheet report and where do you suggest I look? Or do any of you experienced rootschatters already have access to possible information sources.? After all these years is there possibly a Coroner's report somewhere? Anyway I would be grateful for any help and suggestion.   What do you think Michael?

Rob.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
Re: "Found Drowned"
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 January 11 19:21 GMT (UK) »
I got a coroners report from Carlise costing me £5.00

My grt grt grandfather was killed 1867 

I would try the Coroners office at Alnwick
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Wilkinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 January 11 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Elizabeth,

That's one straightforward direct approach. I'll find the details of the Coroner in Alnwick and e-mail or write.
Keep any other suggestions coming.

Rob.

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 January 11 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Rob,

Through my membership of Newcastle City Library, I have access to C19th UK newspapers including the Newcastle Courant.

Even in the 1840s the Courant was publishing death notices for region. However no sign of your Atkinsons demise.

But there were regular articles on the state of health, including epidemics of typhus and cholera. An article published 10 Dec 1847 stated that outbreaks started in water courses, rivers, marshes, and that Carlisle's recent outbreak started at a mill !

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Wilkinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 January 11 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Michael,

Thanks for that. Water borne diseases a bit of an "occupation hazard" at that time I suppose. Goodness knows what went into the river upstream?  Thought the Courant might help but no luck this time.  Have e-mailed the Coroner's Office for North Northumberland to see if they can direct me to where to apply for a copy of the report if it still exists.

Rob

Offline Wilkinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Doesn't look as if I'm going to win on this one.  Coroner for North Northumberland says they passed all their records to Woodhorn. Woodhorn has no Coroner's Reports before 1953 and suspects anything before then doesn't now exist.  Bailiffgate Museum in Alnwick says the local paper didn't start printing until 1852 which misses the mark by about 4/5 years although if they find any references anywhere they wll let me know.   Anyone any more suggestions?   Some you win some you don't!

Rob.