Author Topic: Burial Records for Corrakyle, Co Clare  (Read 5575 times)

Offline Darryl Nugent

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial Records for Corrakyle, Co Clare
« on: Tuesday 11 January 11 12:19 GMT (UK) »
My ancestors (Nugents) lived in Corrakyle in the C19 and C20. There is a small, overgrown graveyard in the townland which may contain the remains of some of them.
Does anyone know where I can access the burial records for this graveyard so that I can check?
Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Darryl Nugent

Offline germc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Burial Records for Corrakyle, Co Clare
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 September 11 16:14 BST (UK) »
That is a childs plot ( usually called a kyle or kyleen/ cilleen) that was used mainly for newborn and unbaptised babies, not for adults, it was blessed and fenced about in recent years but there is no list of who is in it. Most families around that vicinity would know of families who had members in it and would have babies of their own families in it, although it was usually kept very quiet and sometimes burials took place at dead of night. Very sad really, thankfully the plots are being recognised and blessed these days.

Offline Darryl Nugent

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 September 11 20:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information. At least I can now start to search elsewhere. Most of the Nugents left Corrakyle around the time of the Famine and the few who stayed have died out. I guess some of their infant children may be buried there as the farm they lived in is a short distance away. Would the "kyle" be part of the name of the townland? I don't know any of the present residents of Corrakyle to ask about burials but I hope to visit the area someday soon.

Thanks again

Darryl Nugent

Offline germc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 September 11 22:37 BST (UK) »
You are right that the townsland takes it name from the kyle, also that the Nugents have died out in the area, though you will be glad to know I feel that the old house has been done up and been lived in for quite some time. My aunt and uncle live almost across from the kyle, he is 83 and remembers Nugents, also I met a neighbour last night who knew 2 of them also. I got some paperwork from my aunt last night on the Nugents from relations in the USA who were around a few years ago looking for relations and the house. I will scan the paperwork and try to attach to this site or if that doesnt work I can try emailing u maybe if you like. As for descendants of the Nugents in Clare , are you aware that there are relations living outside Scarriff, an O Grady who's husband ( unless I'm mistaken) has thoroughly researched and written a book on your Nugents. I will look him up for you if you like or get a phone number for you to contact. Hope this is of some use to u.

Offline Darryl Nugent

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 September 11 23:12 BST (UK) »
Wow what a lot of information! I have been hitting a brick wall on the Corrakyle members of the family for a long time. Great news about the house. I tracked it on Google Earth and it looked as if it was being renovated. I would be keen to hear about your uncle's and neighbours' memories of the Nugents. I believe that the last Nugents in Corrakyle were brothers Michael and Martin Nugent. They never married and were born around 1900.  I have heard that other Nugents lived in nearby Gortaderry.
I look forward to reading the paperwork from your aunt on the relations from the USA. I believe that Edward/Edmond Nugent left Corrakyle for America around the same time as my g grandfather, Francis Nugent moved to England (ca 1850s). If you wish to email the scans my email address is (*). I am not aware of relatives living in the area but would like to contact any who know anything about my ancestors, especially the one who has written the book on my Nugents. Thanks very much for this information. I feel that I am now nearer to finding out about my origins.
Best Regards

Darryl Nugent

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline germc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 00:28 BST (UK) »
I think you need to use the personal message to send me your email address

Offline Darryl Nugent

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 10:29 BST (UK) »
Oops! Sorry

I've sent my email address by PM. I hope it gets to you OK

Regards

Darryl Nugent

Offline germc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 21:45 BST (UK) »
Sent those pages to your email address, tried to send them on this forum, all attempts failed. The pages I sent were given by a lady called Kathleen who had come to my aunt looking for Nugents as they were descendants of hers. Her name was Kathleen and you can find her in the family tree on page page 1- Kathleen Ann Nugent born 1948. The hand written notes on the pages are in relation to her relaionship to the highlighted names. I hope you can work out some bit of it. If you locate Michael Nugent on page 3 - ( 17th entrant from the bottom up of the page), this entrant and all further entrants to end of page 4 come under the handwritten note at bottom of page 3. I spoke to my aunt and uncle in law and he said that that there was Sonny, Martin at home who were both single. Pat went to the USA but came back after some time. He married Mary Ellen Mc Mahon a school teache, they had 3 daughters, 1 still alive, lives near Scarriff I think. Also  there was a girl called Lena, went to the Isle of Man, single, lived to 195, got a big sum of money from the President of the Isle of Man ( I am presuming that would be when she reached 100).My uncle Seamus also said he had a waltz with her at Rodger's bar in Scarriff when she was 98. He also mentioned a Chris who he said was married, I thought it was to a Minogue man, but I will check again as I'm not too sure if I have the surname right.

I will look up the Maddens to find out about the book next.

Happy reading

Offline germc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 22:27 BST (UK) »
Me again, 4got to ask you if there is any possibility that you could scan the picture of  Michael and Martin and send it via email or post whichever suits you. Seamus and the neighbour would love to see the picture.