Author Topic: Photo Dating. COMPLETED  (Read 2697 times)

Offline dawsheath

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Photo Dating. COMPLETED
« on: Tuesday 11 January 11 18:12 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure if this will work and I am a complete dinosaur when it comes to trying to upload photos but this photo was taken in India where my grandfather was born in 1884.  I wonder if this very faded photo is of him but I do know that he had a brother several years older than him.

I would be most grateful if anybody could help date this photo.

Many thanks
Colyer, Chalklin, Dreyheller, Dobbie, Andrews, Strover, Gill, Baines, Betton, Deveria

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
Re: Phot Dating
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 18:51 GMT (UK) »
So faded, what a shame :-\

GW Lawrie was taking photos in the Lucknow region in the 1880s and 1890s, and I have found a photo by him apparently after he expanded to Bareilly and Ranikhet, so as yours only has Lucknow and Naintal on it, I suggest it's from the earlier part. The chair is a typical 1870s thing with the horrid fringework on it, so early-mid 1880s perhaps?

The boy's clothing is also kind of typical for the times.

I have some information on Ranikhet if it's any use to you.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline dawsheath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Photo Dating
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you China for your thoughts on the photo.  My grandad was born in 1884 so if the photo was taken at that time then it probably wasn't him unless he was very big for his age!  His brother died before my grandad was born so maybe the photo is of a different family member.

Once again, thank you.
Colyer, Chalklin, Dreyheller, Dobbie, Andrews, Strover, Gill, Baines, Betton, Deveria

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Any design or printing on the back? if so could we see a scan please...everything's a clue :)
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Hope you don't mind me having a go at this. I've used a little artistic licence on the background and just cleaned up the face a little, but thought that, if you could see a little more of the facial features, you might be able to tie him down to a particular family member. ( If you don't like it, I can delete it)

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline dawsheath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Yes, there is writing on the back.  The photo is larger than 500 kb so I have copied it and hope it works!  You offered some information on Ranikhet - is that a place?  It's not a place I know.  My family were in Bihar and Lucknow.

Thank you.

*Moderator comment:  image changed from PDF to JPG to allow online viewing :) *

Offline dawsheath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Wow Tony.  Thank you!  I must show my mum this - she may be able to see if this is her dad.  Doesn't it make a difference to see it so clearly.

Many thanks.

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 19:59 GMT (UK) »
If you want others to have a go at the pic just change the title of your post ie Restore please etc. 

This is quite a rough go at the pic - there are some brilliantly talented restorers here as well.

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline dawsheath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 20:04 GMT (UK) »
That's good enough for me.  It shows the background which I didn't realise was there at all!