Author Topic: Ballantines/Ballantynes of Ayrshire/Lanarkshire  (Read 19107 times)

Offline Antigo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ballantines/Ballantynes of Ayrshire/Lanarkshire
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 22 December 18 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  More info has been uncovered since my original post, but mysteries remain.
Caroline Ballantyne born ca 1795 in Drymen Stirling (but no birth cert found).  Her death cert says her parents were John Ballantyne, a mason, and Janet Walker. (Surname was Walker not MacKxxx, my stupid error.) However, Janet was married to Matthew Ballantyne, a sawyer.  Matthew's father was named John.
Matthew and Janet also had a daughter named Jean who married Mitchell Harris.  Their son John Harris became a master shoemaker.  In her later years, Caroline lived with him and his family and he was present at Caroline's death.
So, most likely father was Matthew and not John (and the John Ballantyne, merchant in Ayrshire was an early false lead).
Caroline married Hugh Lundie, 1836, Gorbals.  It was his 3rd marriage.  Their daughter Caroline was born 1839, soon after which the parents (Caroline and Hugh) seemed to go separate ways.  Daughter Caroline married James Allan Thomson in 1859 and died of typhus in 1867.  Mother Caroline died in 1874

Offline Castor Oyl

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 27 June 19 09:37 BST (UK) »
Looking for Ballantine/Ballantyne's based primarily in the Strathaven / Glassford / Stonehouse area and particularly associated with Shotlinn Farm on the Hamilton Estate.  These include Andrew Ballantine (1784-1863)/Helen Craig and his sibs  James, John, Thomas, Agnes and William(1781-1811)/Christian Dow.  Andrew/Helen's children include: Andrew (1826-1870)/Margaret Barr, Elizabeth, William/Margaret, James, Isabella, Helen, Janet, George, John, Agnes, Thomas, Robert and Margaret.  Andrew/Helen's family can be seen on the 1851 census at Shotlinn farm.

Offline danielok

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 12 March 20 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Well, My maternal great grandpa's maternal grandmother was a lady called Marion Ballantyne 1855-1914. Her father was William Ballantyne 1830-1905. Who married Ann Taylor 1831-1909.
Hope this helped.

Regards,
Daniel
Alexander, Cluderay, Whiteside, Smillie, White

Offline C.Elliott

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 12 March 20 23:52 GMT (UK) »
James Ballentyne and Sarah ?? had a son Robert in 1867 in Scotland - the son went to Canada - does that match anyone ??

I have had a hard time finding info on this side of my family but I have a semi/possible match.
My 2nd GGfather
James Ballantyne 1858–1946
BIRTH 1858 • Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Parents: Robert Ballantyne & Helen Watson
Siblings: Helen, Nicolas, Robert & Margaret
Came to Canada approx 1889
He had an English wife called Jenny (Marriage date/location unknown)
Children: Hannah, Robert, James (Jas)