Author Topic: Tierney/Clarke in Knockbride, 1838  (Read 3535 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Tierney/Clarke in Knockbride, 1838
« on: Wednesday 12 January 11 07:20 GMT (UK) »
I recently found a document stating my husband's ancestors were living in County Cavan in 1838 when their son, Patrick, was born.

The Catholic Parish Register of Knockbride shows a birth (christening?):
Patrick ? Tierney, 27 October 1838; parents were Bernard Tierney and Mary Clarke (from other documents, it may be Clark).  Sponsor was Margaret Clarke.  Beglieve.  (Patrick's middle name was faded and illegible, according to the document.)

In 1838, Beglieve was listed as the residence of Bernard Tierney and Mary Clarke.  In 1841, Corravilla/Curravilla was the residence for a Bernard Tierney.

In 1857, a Bernard Tierney was living in Corravilla, "Holding:" house, "Ann. Valuation:" 10.5.0.

Bernard and Mary apparently died prior to 1869. Patrick immigrated to New York in 1869.

I'm not familiar with records for County Cavan.  May I ask if there are any online records that are available to find out more about this family, please?  Thank you in advance for any advice or help.

Thread about Patrick's marriage in 1869:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,434955.0.html
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tierney/Clarke in Knockbride, 1838
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked the resources topic at the top of the Cavan board yet?
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,506500.0.html

Also have a look at these two topics to understand what records might be available, etc.: Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 08:21 GMT (UK) »
I did have a look at the resources, but I think I'll look again, to make sure I thoroughly read it.  I've not seen the two topics you've posted; they may be useful for searches for my own ancestors, as well as my husband's.

Thank you for the links, aghadowey.  It is very much appreciated.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Nosowicz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 December 12 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Lisa,
I have quite a lot of Tierneys and people on Corravilla
Please get in touch and maybe share more info and i can see if i can help

regards

Peter
UK: Wilson, Nosowicz, Jacklin, Gribble, Vowler, Burridge, Hardcastle, Norman, Smith, Abraham, Parker, Brown, Jenney, Janney, Lank, Codd, Fidling, Landick, Nesbitt

Areas: Bedfordshire, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Durham, Devon, Northamptonshire, Leicestershire

Ireland: Tierney, Farrelly, Cundelon, Clarke, Moore, O'Malley, Dufficy, Flannigan

Areas: Cavan (Ballyjamesduff Virginia, area), Rosscommon  (Strokestown)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 December 12 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter:

Thank you very much for your interest in this thread.  Although I know very little about the Tierney family while they were in Ireland (Patrick Tierney is my husband's ancestor), we do have a couple of photographs of Mr. Tierney, taken prior to 1900, and I am sitting at the desk he built.

I will contact you on Sunday (it is Saturday night here, in the middle of the night, actually).  I look forward to sharing information.  Again, thank you for reading this thread.

Lisa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 December 12 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter:

I've sent a pm.  Please let me know if you do not receive it.

Kind regards,
Lisa