Author Topic: mansell family handborough  (Read 7750 times)

Offline Margaret1913

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: mansell family handborough
« Reply #18 on: Monday 28 February 11 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Very many thanks, Nigel, for your help.  However, the John Mansell we're investigating was the son of James and Charlotte Mansell of Long Handborough.  There seems to have been a great many 'Mansells' in that area!!
Regards
Margaret

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 28 February 11 17:43 GMT (UK) »
You're very welcome and good luck with your research. Long Hanborough is a lovely place, I lived there for 7 years a while back
T ra
Nigel
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline annette1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 20:06 GMT (UK) »
H Margaret  have you found  John?  In the 18181 census he was 6months old and Charlotte Lay/Manell was  age 32 born 1849.In the 1891 his age is wrong as he is down as 19 but it looks like it was interprated wrong as it has a line crossed through it which makes it hard to read it should be 9 i think and Charlotte is age 41 born 1850.In the 1901 John isn't on it and Charlotte's changed again age 50 born 1851.  are we following the same Charlotte. It's strange how both sides of the family didn't Know much if anything about John and Frederick have you found out any more about any of the family.

Annette

Offline Margaret1913

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 17:51 GMT (UK) »
I've only recently started to look into the family tree  - you seem to have done a lot of research. 
as for Charlotte Lay, there seems to have been two born in the area at that time and I assumed that ours was the younger one, but obviously the Census proves me wrong! 
There are two Frederick Mansells registered in Witney - one in 1882 and one in 1886.  Do you know which one is ours? 
I shall have to register with one of the Family History sites if I'm to make any real progress.

By the way, one of my uncles, whom I never met, supposedly went to live with an aunt when he returned from WWII.  It could easily have been an aunt on his maternal side, but I thought I'd mention it in case he happened to have gone to your Grandma.
Regards
Margaret

Offline annette1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Re Frederick  this is where it can get a bit confusing as in the 1891 census his year of birth is 1884 and in the 1901 census his year of birth is 1883 so it could be 1882 it might help you to look back at the mesage Ladyhawk sent she gave  us quite a lot of information that i didn't know.  I'm on ancestry.co.UK with the family tree name Allen/Johnson so if you want to take a look your very welcome. I'll ask my mum if her or my aunt remember anything about someone staying there  after the war but mum had moved down here to Devon by  then