Author Topic: Railway Uniform or just ordinary suit?  (Read 1537 times)

Offline beaglelady

• RootsChat Member
  • The Girls!
    • View Profile
Railway Uniform or just ordinary suit?
« on: Wednesday 12 January 11 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys,

This ancestor worked on the railways and someone told me he was wearing a railway uniform.  I'm not sure and thought it was just an ordinary suit?  Any ideas please - could you put a date to it as well?  Thank You.
Fishburn/Ferryhill/West Cornforth and most areas of Durham and Dumfries/Scotland, also North Yorkshire.

Also, Lancashire/Kent/Huntingdonshire.   Australia and Canada.

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
Re: Railway Uniform or just ordinary suit?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 22:50 GMT (UK) »
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 January 11 16:00 GMT (UK) »
The suit in the link given appears similar in its cut. However, there are substantial differences between the two. The link man's suit shows braiding and epaulettes on the shoulders, there is also  a stripe down the side of the trousers.

In the photo provided there are no epaulettes on the shoulders that I can see, and no stripe down the side of the trousers. There is however a small badge on his left lapel.

In my opinion this is a civilian suit and not a railway uniform. However, as some very senior railway officials are and were issued with civilian suits in a single cut to give a corporate image among the management team, this cannot be ruled out unless we know what his position was on the railway. He would need to be a senior manager, or at the very least station master at a major terminus to qualify for such clothing.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline beaglelady

• RootsChat Member
  • The Girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 January 11 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks both of you for your help and opinions.  I thought it was just an ordinary civilian suit but this other person was adamant it wasn't.  So I'm still not certain.

This ancestor worked on the railways in numerous jobs - railway gateman, railway shunter, railway signalman, and I'm sure I'll find some more in the censuses.  In fact my elderly mother has a photo of him actually working on the railways in a different uniform but I am unable to lay my hands on the photo at the moment.  I can remember Mum showing it me when I was very young.

There is one thing which is a certainty and that is he definitely worked on the railways!! ;)

Thanks,
Elaine.
Fishburn/Ferryhill/West Cornforth and most areas of Durham and Dumfries/Scotland, also North Yorkshire.

Also, Lancashire/Kent/Huntingdonshire.   Australia and Canada.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 January 11 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Not a uniform,that's for sure.
The man is wearing a 4 button morning jacket.The silk braiding & 2 button cuff were very popular from the 1880's & into the 90's.as was the winged collar.
He has a seperate button-hole for his watch chain so after 1888.
The cardstock looks a late 1880's style but we'd need to see all of it & the back in colour to be any more accurate but at present I would say late 1880's - early 1890's & a man in formal daywear.

jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 January 11 17:08 GMT (UK) »
The railway jobs you mention would bring a uniform with them, and certainly not a civilian style suit.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)