Author Topic: George Friday of Holmwood/Dorking.  (Read 2034 times)

Offline jcbhydro

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Friday of Holmwood/Dorking.
« on: Friday 14 January 11 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Good Evening fellow Rootschatters,

My researches have produced a considerable amount of information about George Friday and his family. However a few anomalies have arisen which are somewhat puzzling.

The census data seems to indicate that George was born in 1797 in Holmwood, but the LDS records show he was christened at Dorking on 22 Feb 1801. This seems a rather large gap between birth and baptism. In the early C19 it was more normal to baptise within a few weeks of birth.

I have had no luck in confirming the date and venue of George's marriage to Mary Ann. I believe it was in 1825, which fits well with the LDS & LMA records of the christening of their many children, but a trawl through all online records does not find a marriage.

Any suggestions as to alternative sources which might solve these queries would be gratefully received.

regards,

John Bennett

Offline bdmayes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: George Friday of Holmwood/Dorking.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 January 11 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello John

A transcript of Dorking registers shows that George Friday the son of William and Jane was baptised there on 22 Feb 1801 and born on 5 January.  (presumably 1801 as no other year is shown)

Brian

Offline bdmayes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 January 11 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Another George Friday was baptised in Dorking on 26 Sep 1802, son of James and Jennifer, born 16 Aug.

Brian

Offline OneBigFamily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 January 11 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello John

A transcript of Dorking registers shows that George Friday the son of William and Jane was baptised there on 22 Feb 1801 and born on 5 January.  (presumably 1801 as no other year is shown)

Brian

Hi John,

Thought I'd add some background to one of the set of parents, though I dont know what happened to their son George who was baptised in 1797...

Re this William and Jane, parents of one of the George Fridays ....

1841 at Stone Bundg [sic], Dorking, Surrey  (Friday and Bristow were the surnames on original) - Daughter Rebecca and her husband, John Young, living next door.
 Wm Fuday born by my calcs abt 1780 Surrey, Farmer, 60
 Jane Fuday born by my calcs abt 1780 Surrey, 60
 Jane Briston born by my calcs abt 1829 Surrey, 11
 Alfred Briston born by my calcs abt 1831 Surrey, 9
 John Briston born by my calcs abt 1834 Surrey, 6
/
 Wm Chart, born by my calcs abt 1835, M.S., Surrey, England 15, M.S.
 Civil Parish: Dorking; County: Surrey.

1846 Emigration; A William Friday aged 67 next to a Jane Friday aged 66 shown arriving in New York on 2 June 1846 having departed from London on ship named "General Victoria".  Alongside their entry were details of a Branch family, farmers, William Branch 63, Phylis Branch 60, Harriet 21 and George 13.

25 Sept 1850 US Federal Census in Henrietta, Monroe, New York
(In an area highly populated by those of the farming community)
 William Friday, 74, born in England, Occupation "None"
 Jane Friday 73, born in England
Census Place: Henrietta, Monroe, New York
Next door was William Skilton with their daughter Martha nee Friday, and son Caleb, miswritten as Cetton or Letton.

1860 US Federal census Jane aged 82 is enumerated in Henrietta, Monroe, New York with her daughter Martha who had married William Skilton in Dorking in 1826 (indexed as Skelton in this census return) and Martha and Williams children.
Dancy Dancey Crowter Binney Outred Cowdry Bowmer Kensett Alderton Akers Killick

Offline jcbhydro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 January 11 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Dear Brian & 'Onebigfamily',

Thank you so much for your prompt & helpful responses to my queries about George & William Friday.

I had spotted some public tree references to William's death in New York, but I couldn't imagine a middle-aged AgLab emigrating to America in the mid-19C. I assumed that this was just another example of misconceived assumptions on the part of another researcher. How wrong I was!

regards,

John Bennett

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 January 11 11:07 GMT (UK) »
The Protestant Dissenters registry ( "Dr Williams Library") has the birth record of Hannah Shilton born in the house of her father  William Shilton, a labourer,  at Dorking on 16 May 1832.

Parents William Shilton and Martha. Maternal grandparents William and Jane Friday (who was present at the birth).
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline OneBigFamily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 January 11 11:58 GMT (UK) »
I had spotted some public tree references to William's death in New York, but I couldn't imagine a middle-aged AgLab emigrating to America in the mid-19C. I assumed that this was just another example of misconceived assumptions on the part of another researcher. How wrong I was!

This comment has made me smile so much ... learning to ignore my own assumptions was the very first (costly) mistake I learnt and will never forget.

Penny
Dancy Dancey Crowter Binney Outred Cowdry Bowmer Kensett Alderton Akers Killick