Author Topic: From england via Canada to Americaa  (Read 4103 times)

Offline Chattykathy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: From england via Canada to Americaa
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 April 05 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz,  this whole genealogy search is difficult no matter what country.  You can only "see" people for a very small window of time every ten years or at certain official moments --  anything and everything is possible.  People were also very migratory unless tied to land or family interests.  The only way to really get anywhere is to actually go the area they lived and obtain all original records.  On-line information tho incredible! leaves many holes.

I'm trying to work backward to England, Scotland & Ireland --  the geography is always a problems as I don't have it in my minds eye except only very generally and the parish registry system really confuses me.  Also, when you dealing with very common names....there are thousands and thousands of possibles.  Also I've found that there are many variables/errors in census info --  year of birth changes, name people liked to be called by or what family tradition had developed , all kinds of other reasons.

Interesting William living until 1976!!! Did he die in Boston?
He must have been illigible for social security benefits --  the record will only be minimal if found, date of death, SSN and zip code, Town/State of death.  But with such a big family and long history in the area, there may be an obituary on line.

1930 is as far as we can go census wise in the US.  So what we can find on William C b. 1928 is questionable. The problem with girls is the obvious ...the name changes with marriage unless they intentionally kept their maiden name or it just becomes the initial which many didn't use.  I'll look to see if anyone else started a family tree.

I'll look for William/Richard the father in 1890, 1900.   I'll be hard with no other identifiers unless we find young William with him at some point as we have more info on him.    Lone Men & Wiomen are the hardest to find.  When viewing the actual census record, I always look for others in the household(boarders, lodgers, other family) or the neighbors --  very often there is a connection.

Any other relatives in the US?  If so, where? and any idea where they ended up?
What county/town in England were they born? 
Do you know the likely port of departure from England? 
Does the workhouse have any records?  I have workhouse records on line. 
Have you been to "Cyndi Genealogy List" on line?  Lots of sources.
Have you posted on Rootsweb by the surname and location? 

Will let you know what I find.
ttfn
Kathy
KING Buckinghamshire  US
FANNING LINDEN Ireland US
BARRET Devonshire
GURLEY Warwickshire
SMITH Buckinghamshire US
MORAN Ireland Lancashire Warwickshire US
BALLARD Worcester US

Offline LMP

• RootsChat Member
  • --
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 April 05 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,

William died in Boston 1977,aged 96 a good age?

William snr was born in Dudley in Worc, however lived in Bridgenorth Shropshire.

I would guess Holyhead in Wales may be the nearest port.

I had not thought really its as diffcult to find someone over here , and yes the parish records can be confusing.

I do not know what part of the county you are looking at but if I can be of help finding any information out , or taking photos if I am near enough I would be glad to help

Thank you again for your help so far I really am grateful
  liz

Offline Chattykathy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 April 05 18:35 BST (UK) »
Liz, thanks for add'l. info.  Haven't found anything that seems to fit yet tho trying all sorts of combinations, etc.    William Sr. & Jr. at least stayed in the area. 

Wm. did live a LONG time by any standard.  Wonder if poor Maude faired as well with twins and then 6 more coming rapidly along.  Don't know how they did it?!

There a big Hughes "dynasty" in the Southern states like North and South Carolina, Virginia, etc. but they generally root from England in the 1600/1700's so I'm ruling out that part of the world.

Do you know Wm. Sr profession? 

Glad to be of help --  I'm at a standstill in my research until somebody sees a positing and replies.

Looking for King and Smith in Buckinghamshire (Steeple Claydon area). to US via Canada in 1870.  That''s where I have the most information.

Also Fanning from Co. Cork to US in 1865  --  NO WHERE on that.
And Moran probably from Ireland  to Scotland/England and then to US in late 1883-85.  No CLUE at all on where they originated.

bye
Kathy
KING Buckinghamshire  US
BARRET Devonshire
GURLEY Warwickshire
SMITH Buckinghamshire US
BALLARD Worcester US

Offline LMP

• RootsChat Member
  • --
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 April 05 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hi, kathy
Not my area, I live in the Midlands,but I will ask at work if anyone as ties in that area,I seem to remember there is someone .

Occupation Labourar, and there will have been thousands oh  why could he not have been a dentist or something easy to trace.

He could have sailed from Liverpool we are land locked in the midland , so either port is possible.
   regards LIZ

Offline Chattykathy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 17 April 05 22:17 BST (UK) »
When you say MIdlands --  of England or Scotland?  On the Moran side, exploring possible (tho remote) connection in Midlothian with Flynn family. 

Yes,every one was an Ag Lab, etc. in my families to.  The only thing unique so far, is the Moran I'm looking for was a Tailor in the US, therefore I'm thinking there may be a family tradition there. 

Liverpool seems to be a,  if not THE,  most common port of departure so I'm hoping for Wales , actually.  However, it seems most west bound ships were Liverpool (with a stop in Ireland perhaps) and in Canada, most likely Halifax, Nova Scotia or Quebec.   

I found in 1920 in Essex, Lynn Co, Massachusetts 

William Hughes (80) therefore b. 1840 with immi. 1898 he was a blacksmith.
Wife -  Irene, Jenne, Irina (can't decipher)  says age 74 (which I rechecked several times ) immig. 1852 (very clearly printed) from Canada.  They have children  Margaret (19) and Andrew (8).  Something not right here if you do the math re:  the wife.
However, thought it a possible for Wm. the sr.

ciao Kathy
KING Buckinghamshire  US
BARRET Devonshire
GURLEY Warwickshire
SMITH Buckinghamshire US
BALLARD Worcester US

Offline LMP

• RootsChat Member
  • --
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 21 April 05 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi kathy,
  By the midlands I mean England,
Two weeks ago I was up in Scotland first time in 20 years I used to live in Edinburgh going up again later in year if you have no reponses that have been of help I will try and find info for you . Keep me informed of your progress
   Liz

Offline Chattykathy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 21 April 05 21:21 BST (UK) »
Liz, thanks so much for your offer of help in Edinburgh however I'm playing with some VERY long shot hunches at the moment but if by some miracle I get something concrete,  I'll let you know.  That's really, really nice of you.  I'm jeaoluse of your trip --  would love to be going as well. 

Tried some more combinations of information on the William Hughes gentlemen but nothing new has come up.

Oh, by the way, Andrew the son mentioned in my last post --  his age was 8 (repeat eight)  for some reason, 8 ends up being a smiley icon after I post the message.

Good luck in your searching!
Kathy
KING Buckinghamshire  US
BARRET Devonshire
GURLEY Warwickshire
SMITH Buckinghamshire US
BALLARD Worcester US