Author Topic: Electoral registers  (Read 1683 times)

Offline Welsh Chris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Electoral registers
« on: Friday 15 April 05 21:31 BST (UK) »
I am still stuck with one set of grandparents , William Warner and Elizabeth Williams who were married in the parish church in Pontardulais in 1913. The marriage certificate stated the groom was 40 and bride 25, the fathers were another William Warner and Joseph Williams. All trails have led to dead-ends and as they both lived in Bolgoed St Pontardulais Swansea in the parish of Llandeilo-Talybont, I went to the archive office in Swansea to ask for electoral registers. I was disappointed to learn that they are held in Cardiff. I made enquiries and the charge is high and obviously the result not guaranteed so is there anywhere else I can see copies of the registers or will I have to be patient until I make my annual trip to Cardiff? many thanks
THOMAS - Swansea/Llanelli. FORSE - Devon/Canada/USA. Toolan(various spellings) - Scotland/Lancashire. CUDMORE - Devon. MOGRIDGE - Devon. WALDRON - Devon. WARNER - England/Wales. WILLIAMS - Swansea.

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Electoral registers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 April 05 10:32 BST (UK) »
Have you contacted Cardiff's Reference Library ~ Local Studies Dept? cts@cardiff.gov.uk
http://www.cardiff.gov.uk/leisure/libwb2k2/pages/el_cntrl.htm

I know that Swansea's Reference Library house electoral rolls for Swansea as well as the Archives in County Hall Swansea. There is a thread relating to Swansea electoral roll years here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,8630.msg26956.html#msg26956

I would assume that the dates that mention Glamorgan within this above thread will include the area that you are searching for, but not the ones that cover Swansea.

There is a fine line with regards to where particular documents are stored, many individuals have done the same as you and travelled to Swansea in the hope to find what they are looking for and are directed to Cardiff.

Also have we discussed our Worner's / Warner's before? I have Worner /Warner in Swansea (Carmarthen Road) but the Worner's were from Martock in Somerset originally. I do not have much information on this line, as it is a distant branch but I would gladly give you the information that I have.

Regards Jen  :D

Offline Welsh Chris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 April 05 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen, it would be wonderful if they do have the electoral registers I need in the reference library (Alexandra Road?). I can get to Swansea much easier than to cardiff. Yes, I still have the info you gave me on the Warners/Worners. I haven't been able to link it with my tree but I have come to the conclusion that my dear grandad told a load of lies on his marriage certificate and everything else! he said he was from Banbury (no trace) , that he'd been a cook in the Boer war (no trace), my mother said he died about 90 yet she had her only photo of both of them when she was about 20 in 1936 and he looked very old then. If he died at 90 that would have been in the 1960s and as far as I know he was dead when I was born in 1946. He didn't keep in touch with his family, put them into lodgings at 14 and disappeared. My mum traced him when she was 20 but he disappeared again. Don't know where she heard about his death. Plod on ! Thanks!
THOMAS - Swansea/Llanelli. FORSE - Devon/Canada/USA. Toolan(various spellings) - Scotland/Lancashire. CUDMORE - Devon. MOGRIDGE - Devon. WALDRON - Devon. WARNER - England/Wales. WILLIAMS - Swansea.

Offline rugbywolf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 May 06 20:07 BST (UK) »
if its of any use i spotted a william warner aged 8 born alcestor which is north of banbury with a father william in the 1881 census living in leigh worcestorshire