Author Topic: Robert Lewis C 1869  (Read 5387 times)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Lewis C 1869
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 15 January 11 15:07 GMT (UK) »
The cert can be ordered online from www.gro.gov.uk quoting the ref from the indexes.

Here is the index entry for you

Apr/May/Jun 1889
Reg District: Forden
Ref : 11b 292

Sarah Ann Ridge and Robert Lewis both on the page that this refers too.

Here they are in 1891 (I believe you have this already, but it is good to see the details on here to help in any searches)

RG12 4601 37 14
Guilsford
Robert 22 Ag lab bn Pool Quay
Sarah A 19 bn Llanfyllin
Sarah 2 dtr bn Guilsford
Daniel Ridge 16 bro in law farm servant bn Llanfyllin

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline welshwonder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 15 January 11 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that I am hoping that a cousin will find them in the parish records tomorrow if not then I will order the cert. many thanks for that  :)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 15 January 11 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Out of interest, the Ridge family (with Sarah and Daniel) are at RG11 5496 39 9 in 1881 (free to search)
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JustLooking

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 15 January 11 15:41 GMT (UK) »
The only Robert Lewis that seems to fit is registered in Machynleth in 1869 (NWBMD)

He appears in the Machynleth workhouse with (probably) his mother Elenor, aged 44 in 1871 - RG10/5601/79/28

Machynleth is a fair way from the Welshpool/Buttington/Pool Quay area but he might have not known where he had been born. It's worth following up just in case.

JL
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JustLooking

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 15 January 11 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Just found a Robert David Lewis registered 1870 in  Llansanffraid ym Mechain - north of Pool Quay (NWBMD)

The GRO ref would be Sep q, 1870 Llanfyllin, vol 11b p 247

Not yet sighted on the 1871-81 censuses though  :-\

JL

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 15 January 11 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that I am hoping that a cousin will find them in the parish records tomorrow if not then I will order the cert. many thanks for that  :)

You should always order the mar. cert or look at it on fiche or the original register. I see a lot of people who just use reverse marriage index lookups to guess the marriage of their ancestors. Although this can sometimes give you the right marriage, you only have to do a few searches on Ancestry Public Member trees to see endless connections made using this method, and as such the trees are not worth a brass farthing. This can also lead you down the line of tracing people who are not your ancestors, which can cost a lot of money if you are doing it properly.

Also, as noted above by Mr. Jones, the marriage should give you the name of the parents. If you are just looking for the baptism based on census info, you may end up getting the wrong baptism and trace an incorrect ancestry.

Offline JustLooking

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 15 January 11 20:08 GMT (UK) »
I would add a caveat to what David has said ~

Information on a marriage cert is not always correct. In my family I have quite a few marriage certs where the father's name/occupation has been made up to avoid admitting to illegitimacy.

So try to use what we might call 'triangulation' - using a number of sources to test the information that you have.

JL

Offline welshwonder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 16 January 11 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Morning What sources would you suggest ?  :-\

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 16 January 11 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Obituaries are a great source for tying up families from 1800- and even earlier if your ancestors were stacking dimes and lived in a city where obits. were published.

The reason being is obits. often named a great number of relatives present at the funeral. As an example:

"The mourners were: the Widow (Mrs. Roberts, Bodhyfryd); Mr. and Mrs. R. Roberts, Gwersyllt (son and daughter-in-law); Mrs. J. Roberts, Llwynmawr (daughter-in-law); Mr. and Mrs. D. Price, Maesbury (son-in-law and daughter); Mr. and Mrs. E. Roberts, Tanywen, Llangedwyn (son and daughter-in-law); Mr. D. Silin Roberts (son); Mr. and Mrs. Swannick, Maesbury (son-in-law and daughter); Mr. F. Ambrose, Penybont Stores (son-in-law); Miss D. Roberts, Gwersyllt; Miss Mary and Mr. Harry Roberts, Llwynmawr; Misses Joyce and Joan Price and Fullerton Price, Maesbury; Miss Blodwen Roberts, Tanyrywen (grandchildren); Other relatives were Mr. and Mrs. Jones, Leaton; Mrs. E. Jones, Bomere Heath; Mrs. Jones, Llanforda Mill; Mr. E. Jones, Penypark, Mrs. Davies, Fronucha, Rhiwlas; Mr. E. Jones, America Cottage."

Particularly useful were the list of other relatives, which included a 2nd cousin. By collecting obituaries for all these people and combining that with parish registers and the census, I was able to build a large and accurate tree for this family. By tracing collateral lines of your ancestors, you can really cement your own ancestry. If you only have a marriage cert. and the census to seal your connections, as JustLooking points out, you can always make an error. Whereas if you have collected wills, obituaries, civil reg. certs., church records, court records, family artefacts, criminal, tax, land, directories, immigration records, population lists, charters, deeds, military, education, employment, governmental and so on, you can prove your relations beyond a shadow of a doubt, because you have so much overlapping information.

To give a case in point. One of my ancestors was Mary Ann Ward, baptised in 1814, in Kinnerley, Salop. Her parents were Samuel Ward and Charlotte [Payne]. I found a burial for Samuel Ward in the 1820s at the appropriate abode. This matched him up to a baptism in the same parish at the same abode in 1792; and whom I thought was this Samuel Ward's grandfather named his grandson in his will at the appropriate abode. I considered it sealed. However, I decided to research all the members of this family and made notes of all the people of interest in the parish up to 1880 from parish registers. It was at this point, I noticed that there were two Samuel Wards, both living in the same place and almost the same age. On top of that, there were three other Samuel Ward's: one being the father of Samuel who was bpt. 1792 and the other two both being born in the same year to the two younger Samuels. Many wills, and parish register entries later, I discovered that I had got the wrong Samuel Ward. There were two Samuel Wards, whom were 1st cousins and by selecting the wrong one as an ancestor I could have spent a good few notes on tracing the ancestry of the other Samuel's wife, which due to he place of birth would have been much more difficult and costly.

With many families, going back into the 1700s and beyond it is quite often necessary to engage in these one name studies to sort all the people of a particular surname out. As well as helping you to not make mistakes, it can help you make breakthroughs. You may have a brick wall with your ancestor, but if you can find an uncle, a cousin, a sibling etc., you may be able to prove their ancestry.

As another case in point, I had an Edward Jones, born about 1794 in an unknown location. Since he was not alive for the 1851 census, I had no idea where he might have been born. So I began researching his children (which may people don't do) and found one living with their grandfather in the census. I now have one strand for Edward Jones going back to about 1610, because I made the decision to try and flesh out the family a bit more. Looking up the siblings of your ancestor is often a good idea, as many went to live with relatives.

Of course, this all requires 100s & 1000s of hours and often many trips to archives.

If you are new to research, I would recommend the book Ancestral Trails by Mark Herber, 2nd ed. It is a bit out of date with some records, which are now on the internet, but it has a lot of useful info on researching most important records.