Author Topic: Co Durham History - any book recommendations?  (Read 3439 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Co Durham History - any book recommendations?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 January 11 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Coal Mining

The best historical book I have read on pitmen is "The Miners of Northumberland and Durham" by Richard Fynes, first published in 1873 but subsequently republished a number of times. I purchased my copy from W.H. Smiths about 3 years ago.

Can be read on-line, or down-loaded  at http://www.archive.org/details/minersnorthumbe00fynegoog

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tomatillo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for the Fynes book recommendation and the web link too. I have spent most of the evening reading it and the Webb book online! They are both fantastic for bringing the times to life.

Thanks again for all your help.

Offline greentrad

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • gg grandad Alfred Smithers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 October 11 17:16 GMT (UK) »
May I be so bold as to suggest that you actually go and visit the area if possible. It's absolutely stunning! and the people are nice too. You could do a lot worse than B & B in the pub at Edmundbyers, at the foot of the Derwent Reservoir. From there you can drive or walk over to Stanhope and Killhope Museum. Also - go and see Blanchland Wow!

Enjoy!  :)
Pillow & Smithers, France, Canterbury & Ramsgate, Kent. Ginn & Saward Lambeth & Rotherhithe, Surrey. Gibson, Kelso, Scotland, Deptford, Forest Hill. Spinks, Colchester & Forest Hill