Author Topic: Alexander Hood born about 1811  (Read 3787 times)

Offline parakeet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Hood born about 1811
« on: Saturday 15 January 11 13:11 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for birth/baptism information about Alexander Hood. On the 1851 and 1861 census He gives his birthplace as Lander, Berwickshire. I cannot check the originals. I have access to Ancestry from England but cannot look at the census images. Could someone please confirm that this is the likely place please?

Any Berwickshire baptismal information would be fantastic. I can't find anything on familysearch.

There is an Alexander Hood baptised in Yetholm, Rox. in 1811 but I don't think this is the same Alexander.

Thanks in advance.

Jacqueline

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Hood born about 1811
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 January 11 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacqueline

Just putting up the link to your other post on Alexander on the Ayrshire board www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,507257.0.html

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 January 11 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Have you found his death certificate? That should tell you the name and occupation of his father which could help in the search for his birth.
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline parakeet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 January 11 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your help.

I have left messages on various Scotland sites to try and not burden people too much!

I haven't got the death cert. yet. If I am right, he died in England and these don't tell you much. But I'll get it anyway. Thanks for the tip.

Jacqueline

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 January 11 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
You may have to upgrade your Ancestry membership as someone on there has your family. They seem to have emigrated to New Zealand which explains why there is on sign of them in later cenuses.
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 January 11 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Genes Reunted has someone with Alexander Hood, 1811, Yetholm but can't see if he has Catherine in it or not.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 January 11 17:31 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for birth/baptism information about Alexander Hood. On the 1851 and 1861 census He gives his birthplace as Lander, Berwickshire.
Jacqueline

It's not Lander, but Lauder. A lot of Hoods are commemorated in Duns churchyard, also in Berwickshire.

Harry

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 January 11 08:13 GMT (UK) »
My fault, didn't check the Ayrshire link yesterday. Have just had a look and see you have written much more background information and that I have probably been going down the wrong path. 
Just writing this so that others look there for any extra information they may need to help you.
Good luck!
Rae

Offline parakeet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 January 11 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for all the help. I thought I had replied already but my answer has disappeared!

I am just trying to delve further into Alexander's parentage ( the one born in Lauder -sorry about this mistake, it was on the census transcript and couldn't see the image). I have another Alexander Hood and am fairly certain he is part of my tree. This one was baptised in 1811 in Yetholm Rox. I think he was born just over the border - at one point - 1861 census - he says he was born in Shotton. This is in walking distance from Yetholm. This is also very near his father, John Hood (1865 - 1942) who had all his children baptised in Yetholm. Alexander stayed near his father until he died.

However there is another Hood researcher who is convinced that  Alexander Hood born in Lauder but somehow baptised in Yetholm went to Ayr, married and then went to New Zealand.  I had my tree as public on Ancestry then but have since made it private. Nevertheless my tree has been copied relentlessly and assumptions and inaccuracies abound. Another thing that makes me sure my Alexander and the Lauder Alexander are not the same people is the occupation. Lauder A was a joiner. My Hoods are all Agricultural labourers , shepherds or farm servants. My Alexander was a shepherd, then molecatcher, then farmer.

From time to time I make an attempt to get to the bottom of it!
I really appreciate all the help and interest.

Jacqueline