Author Topic: Fitch-Albert Edward  (Read 5365 times)

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fitch-Albert Edward
« Reply #18 on: Friday 11 December 15 20:03 GMT (UK) »
This looks to be his service record: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6702134

According to the medal roll he was awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal and received a Silver War Badge on 8 January 1917.

Martin

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 12 December 15 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Searched for service number 192949 on findmypast and got no result.  Tried wild card search for 192* and got 11 results.  1.1% coverage of records, not very useful.

Offline YJC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 12 December 15 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Many  thanks  Martin.  I've  ordered  & received  these  recs.,  which  only  consists  of  one  page,  from  N/Arch  today.  I  have  a  prob. with  his  year  of  birth  as  it  differs  by 2years  to  my  info., 1879  &  1881 (although  the  date & month  is  the  same). The  age  given  on 9/10/1899 = 18  but  I  have  him  as  being  20. More  checking  reqd. &/or  perhaps  Raegan  will  be  able  to  conf.  his  dob  ???
As  yet,  I've  not  had  a  chance  to  look  at  the  page  any  further  or  to  see  if  it  checks  against  info  I  already  have.................
Thanks  again  Yvonne

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 13 December 15 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Albert appears with his family in the 1881 census of Bethnal Green as 6 months old.  The date of this census was 3 April 1881.  Counting back gives dob as Sep or Oct 1880.  FreeBMD has the birth of Albert Edward FITTCH registered in the period Oct-Dec 1880.  The registration district was Bethnal Green and the birth is recorded in volume 1c, page 226.

Offline Raegan Fitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 13 December 15 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Yvonne,

Cyril Fitch's birthdate is Dec 25, 1912. He died on Sept 5 2005 in White Rock, B.C. He married Margaret Florence West on July 1, 1937 in Victoria B.C. I'm not sure where he was born in B.C., I will check with my Dad.

We have a picture of Albert in his naval uniform as well. I think my Dad also has a few pictures of Albert and Lizzie when they are elderly. I will see if I can scan a copy when I visit my Dad at Christmas. I only have a birth year for Albert as 1880 in Bethnal Green. He died on July 23, 1956 In Saanich B.C. He married Lizzie on March 16, 1912 in Victoria B.C.  They did indeed go back to England to live for a short while and had a baby over there. I remember my Poppa (Cyril) said he hated living in England because the boys at school always beat him up.

Lucy Fitch married a man named Johnny Stevens. I don't know anything else about him.

Albert is listed in the NY passenger Lists 1820-1957 at age 37. His last place of residence was Burton-on-Trent. His nearest relative is listed as Mrs. J. Childs, (his sister Jessie) Sunnyside Essendon, Hertfordshire. He departed from Liverpool on the Ship named Scandanavian on June 15, 1918. 
Maddock, Fitch, McDougall

Offline Raegan Fitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 13 December 15 21:50 GMT (UK) »
I would be very interested in any more information you can share when available about Albert's naval records. I searched for them a few years back and could not find anything. I'm thrilled to know more.

Thanks,

Raegan

Offline Raegan Fitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 13 December 15 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Just looked up my notes, and found some more info to pass along. This was info I received from Rosalind Fitch who is a descendant from the Henry Thomas Fitch line. She lists Albert's birthdate as Oct 9, 1879 at 40 Collins Place, Bethnal Green. He was buried at Colwood, Vancouver Island, B.C.
His wife, Lizzie was also buried at Colwood on 4 Aug 1964.

Lucy's husband's name is actually John Dove Steven. He went by the name Johnny. They were married on 11 Aug 1934 in Duncan, B.C.  Lucy was born on 16 Sept 1917 in Burton-on-Trent. She died on 29 Aug 1977 in Duncan B.C. They had one child named Theresa Steven who was born in 1940 and died in 1966.

Offline YJC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks re 1881 census etc.
However, there does seem to be a bit of confusion re his year of birth - it depends which recs. you look at whether it was 1879 or 1880 e.g. death rec says 1879 as opposed to the census 1880 ??? Perhaps he wasn't sure himself ? I think I should go with 1880 though.
Thanks again - Yvonne

Offline YJC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 08 January 16 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Happy  New  Year  Raegan.
I  just  wanted  to  check  that  you  have  received  the  'personal  message'  I  sent  you  before  Christmas,  if  not  please  let  me  know.  Please  don't  think  I'm pushing you  for  a  reply,  whenever  you  have  time.
Bye for now
Yvonne