Author Topic: Fitch-Albert Edward  (Read 5374 times)

Offline YJC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fitch-Albert Edward
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 January 11 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan
Many thanks for explaining how 'Roots' works-as you say it is a wonderful site. I am very impressed that nowadays something is free !!!!! Modern technology is amazing-I was told of the site by a family tree contact in Australia & now I'm speaking to you in BC - wow !
At the moment I am unable to find any records for Eileen Florence or Cyril Robert Fitch - both names provided by Debbie on Roots. Whilst it would appear Cyril was Lucy's brother I can't even link Eileen with the family - are you able to provide any help here please ???? I don't know if it's me not using the web sites correctly !

Many thanks & I look forward to hearing from you again.
Best wishes - Yvonne

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 January 11 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Yvonne

There is no central registry of BMDs in Canada....each province looks after its own records and many provinces do not have online access to indexes of vital events.  Additionally, Canada has very strict privacy laws and their application varies from province to province.

In BC, for example, records are currently available for births up to 1903, marriages up to 1933 and deaths up to 1988.  For privacy reasons, a few years ago the BC government changed the 100 year rule to 120 years for births so the records for 1904 births will not be available until 2025 now.

Our last nationwide census was 1911.  The 1921 Census is due to be released in 2013.

When researching we must look for other resources such as newspapers, historical directories, google searches, genealogy web forums, online directories, etc. to glean any information.  Check out the resources on this link for researching in Canada.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,372.0.html

If we're lucky, sometimes we can make connections with descendants or others researching the same family via sites such as Rootschat. 

In your case, birth records for Eileen and Cyril will not be available for many years.  The 1921 Census when available should offer some information but we'll need to wait for its release in 2013 to see how much.  In the meantime, searches of sites such as www.canada411.ca or www.whitepages.ca which are online telephone directories may help you find contact information for descendents who have information that they would share.

I'll let you know when I've had a chance to do the look ups and we'll see what information/clues the documents can offer.

Susan

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Yvonne

I have finally been able to do the lookups and get the information transcribed.  I apologize for the great delay.  If you would send me your email address via PM (personal message), I will get the transcriptions to you.  To send a PM, just click on the little green scroll under the user name on the left side.

Susan

Offline Raegan Fitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am the grand daughter of Cyril Robert Fitch. I saw your posts here and thought I'd see if you still have any information you need regarding this family.

My grandfather did have two sisters, Eileen and Lucy. Albert Edward was in the British navy and joined the navy when he was quite young. He may not be on many passenger lists because he likely came and went on naval ships.

Albert had a terrible childhood, as you know, and he did not have a good experience when he was fostered out either. He never talked about it or his family that he left behind in England.  He was a very reclusive person most of his life. He did not socialize much, and only walked to town once a month for supplies. He talked little with his children and grandchild (my Dad)  and did not show any affection to them. I think this was because of his difficult upbringing and having to take care of himself at such an early age. My Dad did say that he admired him for his ability to build anything and because he was so self sufficient. He had a lot of knowledge of how to work with his hands and craft just about anything. He lived simply and modestly and did not seem to need or want much. He did suffer from shell shock as well from his experiences in the war. He never talked about this either.

Let me know if you have any more questions I can answer.

Raegan
Maddock, Fitch, McDougall

Offline YJC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 December 15 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Raegan - many thanks for your message, it's lovely to hear from a  2nd cousins once removed !, at least that is what it tells me on a relationship chart I have.
It's so long since I've used this site I hope I'm replying to you correctly ?? I am unable to work out how to reply by way of a 'private message'.
I have found out a little more about Bert (Albert) & Lizzie's (Elizabeth) family in as much as the names of his children & the fact that Eileen was adopted by them. I have dates of birth & death for Bert, Lizzie, Lucy + Eileen but not your G'Dad, Cyril, perhaps you would let me have those dates  please.
Do you have any photos of Bert + Lizzie (this is the names they were always known by to my Mum - Bert's niece) that you wouldn't mind emailing me please ?? I have a copy of one of them together taken later in life + one I believe is of Bert in his naval uniform.
Do you by any chance have a photo of their gravestone ?
Do you know a member of the Fitch family, Lee, who lives in the Far East ? I was in touch with him & he was waiting to hear from his Gran in Canada, he was then going to send me some info but I haven't heard anything for over a year now, don't know why.
Hope that all makes sense.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Bye for now & once again thanks,
Yvonne

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 December 15 17:20 GMT (UK) »
HI,

Welcome to RootsChat Raegan

You need to make 2 posts to use the personal message system, so if Raegan posts here one more time, your both off and running  ;)

To send a private message (pm) - Click on the username in left hand margin - on next screen under username it says "send pm" - on next screen write your message. Good Luck.  ;)

Hope this helps.
Merry Christmas
Sandra  ;D
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 December 15 22:08 GMT (UK) »
1921 census Glenora S Quamicha district British Columbia - surname shown as FITTCH:

Albert     age 40 born England yr of immigration 1908 occupation farmer
Elizabeth       32        England                           1911
Cyril               8        British Columbia
Lucy               3        England                            1918

Family seems to have returned to England during the war years, will try to find Albert's service records and post later.

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 11 December 15 00:01 GMT (UK) »
The HMS EGERIA was the ship that Albert Fittich and numerous other Royal Navy personnel aboard the passenger ship Lake Manitoba were on their way to join at Esqimault BC in 1908.  Details of this ship's operations off the BC coast can be viewed here

http://www.nauticapedia.ca/Articles/Hydrography_on_the_BC_Coast.php

I think this is very likely the way that Albert wound up in BC but can find no records of his service on findmypast. :-[

Offline YJC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 11 December 15 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Many  thanks  for  your  help.
Yvonne