Author Topic: Andrew & Priscilla STANLEY - 1841 Census  (Read 1398 times)

Offline khdavies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Andrew & Priscilla STANLEY - 1841 Census
« on: Sunday 16 January 11 12:17 GMT (UK) »
I have found a Priscilla STANLEY, who was a widow born in Stratford Essex with 4 children, all born in Bishopsgate, in the 1851 census.  I am hoping that someone might be able to find her and her family in the 1841 census probably in Bishopsgate - I believe that her husband was Andrew William STANLEY who died in 1847 and so should be with her in 1841. 
Thank you to anyone who might be able to help with any information about this family.
Essex: STANLEY
London: KENDALL, BRYANT, STANLEY

Offline junev

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew & Priscilla STANLEY - 1841 Census
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 January 11 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Can't see her in 1841 however if the Priscilla with 4 children you mention are called George, Ann, Ellen & eliza I can see baptisms for the last 3 which are to a Thomas & Priscilla Stanley.

Junev

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 January 11 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Do not panic if you do not find an ancestor on the 1841 census.  This is the most incomplete as many people did not participate (intentionally). 

This is because this was a "new" form of previous census' and many were suspicious, believing it was a way of finding out about people for taxation purposes.

By the 1851 more people understood what was happening and took part.

I have many ancestors who do not appear on the 1841 but there they all are on the 1851.
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline khdavies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 January 11 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, both, for taking the time to respond.  I have many ancestors who were not found in the 1841 census but magically appeared in 1851 - at least I now know that it could be they did not participate!

Junev:  I did not actually receive details of the 1851 census entry for Pricsilla STANLEY and her 4 children, so I do not know their names...are you able to give me any of the details?  Might you be able to find a baptism for Andrew STANLEY in Bishopsgate about 1820/1821? Are you able to post the details of the 3 baptisms you have found?  Sorry to ask for so much!!!

Offline junev

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 January 11 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Forgive for asking but if the Priscilla is not linked to an Andrew then why do you need the baptisms of the children!
George from census ~1840; Baptisms Ann 1842; Ellen 1845 & Eliza 1847 all to a Thomas & Priscilla (who was born ~1811)

No Andrew bapt. but a marriage to a Martha in 1840 - are you sure this is not the link... chidren Sarah, Andrew & John

Junev

Offline khdavies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 January 11 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Junev!  I know it might seem odd to want details, but it is quite likely that the family of Priscilla was related somehow to Andrew.  I still do not know who his parents were but he did name one of his children Andrew William in 1844 and there was an Andrew William STANLEY who died in 1847.  Judging by the years of birth of the children of Priscilla and Thomas it would seem that Thomas could have been a brother of Andrew. 
Thanks again, June.

Offline junev

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 January 11 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Andrew William was bt to Andrew & Martha 31 march 1844; from their marriage his father listed as William Stanley a brewer; Andrew was a warehouseman; she was Martha Maria Street, father William a sawyer. 23 nov 1840

Junev

Offline khdavies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 January 11 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much, June.  You seem to have some fantastic record sources - can you tell me what they are, please?  Is it ancestry.co.uk, or do you have some parish registers? 
Thanks again.

Offline khdavies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 January 11 16:05 GMT (UK) »
June,

I have been chasing information about Andrew in order to try and link him to Elizabeth STANLEY who I believe is my 4th Great-grandmother (she named her first son Andrew).  After re-reading all of the posts you have made, it occurs to me that he could actually be her brother! 

Since I don't know where you are getting your information, I thought it worth a try to ask if you might be able to give me any details from the following marriage:

Elizabeth STANLEY to William KENDALL, 2nd Nov 1823 at St Botolph, Aldgate, London, England

I believe her father was William and she had a brother named Thomas (Thomas and Priscilla, maybe!)

If you are able to help, I'd be eternally grateful.  Of course, if you can't help with this one, I'm still extremely grateful for the help you've already offered!