Author Topic: Jane Lees born in Craigie, Ayrshire  (Read 7593 times)

Offline tmlees

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane Lees born in Craigie, Ayrshire
« on: Monday 17 January 11 21:00 GMT (UK) »
  I need help. I have a Jane Lees born to Adam Lees in 1730 at Craigie (confirmed by SP). In 1749 she married a William Wilson (again according to SP). My problem is that according to Family Search and SP there was a Jane Lees marring a William Wilson in Tarbolton and a Jean Lees marrying a William Wilson in Ayr.  According to SP the children born in Tarbolton only list their father, William Wilson, on the birth document and all the children born in Ayr list both Jean Lees and William Wilson as parents. Is there any way to verify which is mine?
Lees family living on Millburn farm outside Tarbolton Ayrshire

Offline JustLooking

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Lees born in Craigie, Ayrshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Both couples seem to have a son called Adam  :-\ 

William's father was William (deceased)

If they used the traditional naming convention, then Adam should be the second son and William the first ~

Tarbolton

1750 William
1754 John
1755 Adam

Ayr

1754 William
1756 John
1759 Adam

so...............................

The couple married in Ayr and at that time Adam  Lees was deceased.

My vote would be for them to be the Ayr couple but you'd need to do further checks-

Other children of Adam who might be worth chasing for any hints ~

1732 John
1734 William
1736 Elisabeth

Also, have you checked the MIs for Craigie, Tarbolton and Ayr and looked at  the marriage/banns for the Tarbolton couple*?

I only have the MIs for the Carrick area of Ayrshire

JL

* I don't see the marriage/Banns of the Tarbolton couple on SP - can you give more info on them, please?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tmlees

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your quick reply. It is greatly appreciated. Here is the marriage document I got from SP. It clearly shows Jane Lees and mentions her father Adam (dec) from coylzean (I think)

Some of the children born to the Tarbolton couple were born in Coylzean (only the father William is mentioned.
The children born to the Ayr couple lists both William and Jean
The problem is that on the birth doc of Lees it is Jane (not Jean) daughter of Adam.

Offline tmlees

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I forgot to attach the file. Here it is. Also I can not find a marriage document for Jane and William in Tarbolton

Offline JustLooking

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have already downloaded that one to check up on her father but I couldn't find the Tarbolton one  - can you remember where you found it :-\

The birth has her father as John on the index but Adam in the record. It's very difficult as the names of the children of  both couples are so similar.

Jean and Jane are used interchangeably. My Jean ancestors became Jane south of the border

JL

Offline tmlees

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi JL

I found the error in the SP Index and I notified the SP about the error a year or so ago and they agreed that it was an error and would correct it. I guess they are still correcting it.

I have NOT been able to find any record anywhere about a marriage between William Wilson and Jane (Jean) Lees taking place in Tarbolton - only Ayr.

I KNOW that most of my direct ancestors came from Tarbolton (actually they were on the Millburn Farm just outside Tarbolton).

I have searched for a Jean Lees born in Ayr and have not found any records.

The information that I have been using - so far - has been
1- Family Search (data for both possibility's)
2- Scotlandspeople (data for both possibility's)
3- Rootsweb -
4- Ayrshireroots - found "Descendants of William Wilson -1675" (here is listed all the children born in Tarbolton.

I doubt that all these children (23 in total) could have been from the same couple but born in Ayr and Tarbolton.

I have done the reseach on all the Tarbolton children and have found descendants on two (John 1757 & Robert -1769) and their children are all from Tarbolton. 

I'm still confused. I guess I'll try and research the children from Ayr and maybe something will show up to help select the correct family of mine.
Any other suggestions - anything will be a help

Tom

Offline JustLooking

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom

I'll have to have a think about it all as I've checked out wills but not MIs.

Can you talk me back through your ancestors to William Wilson and Jean/Jane Lees.

There might be a few clues by looking at the line in detail.

JL

Offline tmlees

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi JL
My direct line starts with a John Lees (b:abt 1680) and was originally researched by an ancestry research company in Edinburgh, some time ago. They found:
 - He had 4 sons - Joseph, John (my direct line - 5th great grandfather), Adam and Samuel.
 - Adam is my 5th great grand uncle who had a daughter Jean (1st cousins 6 times removed - my problem at the moment).

My direct ancestors follows the John Lees's until 1907 when my father Thomas was born. In 1912 he came to Canada with his parents and siblings.

All of the John Lees's farmed at Milburn Farm as far back as late 1700 (John Lees Portioner of Millburn)

I have many documents from SP, etc verifying a great deal of  my research. Except for a few areas of uncertainty (namely this Jean and William Wilson problem) I'm quite confident of my findings.

I hope this info helps and any info. you can find to solve my Jean/Jane - William Wilson dilemma is appreciated

Tom

Offline JustLooking

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom

I meant going back from maybe your (say) 3 x great  grandparents to William and Jean rather than the other way.

JL