Author Topic: TRESS - ADES - BARRY family links  (Read 6901 times)

Offline Waterhouse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
TRESS - ADES - BARRY family links
« on: Tuesday 18 January 11 12:06 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace the Tress family link the in the ancestry of Sir Francis Tress BARRY.

General web searching has produced an unsubstantiated link through Sir Francis' mother, Harriet ADES, who married Charles Barry (place unknown) in 1820.

Harriet is noted in the same web source as being the daughter of Robert Ades of Brede and his wife, Ann Maria Jane TRESS. However, in the 1841 and 1851 census returns, Harriet (who lived with Charles Barry at Orpington Priory in Kent), gives her place of birth as Middlesex.

I can find no trace of Ann Maria Jane Tress or of an Ades-Tress marriage. Sussex records produce the baptism of a Harriet Tress in  Brede, but to different parents (checking back, the mother of this 'Harriet' was not a Tress prior to her marriage). Charles Barry is named in some Tress family legal documents of the late 18th - early 19th centuries, but with no mention of any family relationship.

The Tress family, to which I am distantly related, were yeoman landowners on the Kent-Sussex border and around Rye. Francis was a name commonly given to first-born sons, strengthening the likelihood of a link with Sir Francis Tress Barry.

Given the cross-county border history of the Tress family, I am also posting this query on the Kent forum.

Anyone with any intelligence on this, or links to the Tress family is welcome to get in touch - here's hoping....

Thanks in anticipation,
Waterhouse

Waterhouse, Sussex & Kent
Hollett, Quittenden, Cheeseman & Howland, Kent
Bailey Sussex, Hants, Wilts & Somerset
Crudge, Devon
Hayman, Gloucs.
Frost, Porter, David & Child, Berks
Judd, Hants
McLeod, Midlothian
Frost, Wilkinson & Wall, London
Hayward, Somerset

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: TRESS - ADES - BARRY family links
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Waterhouse

From the Sussex Marriage Index

Harriet  Ades married Charles Barry at Northiam

22 Aug 1820

Extra info,Charles,St Olave Hart St London

Will see what else i can find

Kind Regards

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline L

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

According to information on the Familysearch site, Robert Ades married Ann Maria Jane Niblett at Dorking on 10.06.1797. Their daughter Harriet was born in 1798. I have no idea where the 'Tress' comes from, I'm afraid.

Hope this is of some use.
Lesley
Catt,Ades,Hook,Ashdown,Cobby,Harvey
Census information is Crown Copyright:www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Waterhouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 07:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help Omega and Lesley.

The Niblett marriage looks like real progress, as a Benjamin Niblett married Sarah Bates - whose mother was Martha Tress, daughter of Francis Tress of Bodiam - in Marylebone in 1799.

But that is where things stop for the moment. The parents of Ann Maria Jane Niblett are Harry Niblett and Elizabeth (nee Starr) who married in Dorking in 1773.

This suggests Ann and Benjamin could be brother and sister, or possibly niece and uncle.

But this still makes her closest link to the Tress family her sister-in-law's mother or her uncle's wife's mother.

The search continues, but it does feel more positive now.

Waterhouse
Crudge, Devon
Hayman, Gloucs.
Judd, Hants
McLeod, Midlothian
Hayward, Somerset

Offline Waterhouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 07:45 GMT (UK) »
A correction to my last post. Martha Bates, nee Tress, was the daughter of John Tress, son of Francis Tress (died 1727) of Sandhurst Kent. John's nephew, Francis Tress married Charlotte Ades - the couple had no children.

Might the link be traced back through the Ades line rather than the Niblett?

Waterhouse
Crudge, Devon
Hayman, Gloucs.
Judd, Hants
McLeod, Midlothian
Hayward, Somerset

Offline rogerofgoostrey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 June 11 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Waterhouse

I have only just seen this posting.

I have made an extensive study of the Ades family of Sussex and Kent as my 4x great grandfather Thomas Ades lived at Brede Place at around the year 1800.

I can confirm the following information:

Robert Ades who was born at Northiam, East Sussex in 1772 married Ann Marie Jane Tress at Dorking Surrey on 10 June 1797.  They had a daughter Harriet Ades who was born at Brede Place in 1798 and she married Charles Barry at Northiam on 22 August 1820.  They had a son Francis Tress Barry born in 1825 who later became a baronet.  More information on his line is available in great detail at www.thepeerage.com.  I have no further information on Ann Marie Tress except that her parents were Thomas Tree and Jane Jeffrey but this has not been checked out.

Robert Ades' sister Charlotte was born at Brede in 1770 and married Francis Tress at Brede on 11 July 1793.  They had no children that I am aware of.  Francis was baptised at Rye in 1776 to parents Stephen Tress and Mary Swaine who married at Rye on 19 November 1771.

As two Ades siblings married two people with the surname of Tress it is likely that they are related possibly as cousins.

I hope that this information is of use.

Regards

Roger
Thorpe (East Sussex), Wenham (East Sussex) Willett (East Sussex and Kent) Ades (East Sussex) Rushton (Staffordshire Moorlands) Finney (Staffordshire Moorlands) Wheeldon (Staffordshire Moorlands) Critchlow (Staffordshire Moorlands)

Offline Waterhouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 07:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the kind reply Roger, but there is an anomaly in the marriage of Robert Ades. You say this was to Ann Marie Jane Tress, but the information from Lesley (above) shows that the bride's surname was Niblett; subsequently I found this name given for the marriage in records, too.

Do you have any confirmation that the bride was a Tress rather than a Niblett? In further research (see my earlier post above), I did find a link between the Niblett and Tress families.

Kind regards

Waterhouse
Crudge, Devon
Hayman, Gloucs.
Judd, Hants
McLeod, Midlothian
Hayward, Somerset

Offline rogerofgoostrey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Waterhouse

Apologies!!! I had failed to identify that my source had been updated and Lesley is correct that Ann Marie Jane's surname is Nibblett.  I also now have her parents as Harry Nibblett and Elizabeth Starr.

Francis Tress is confirmed as the husband of Charlotte Ades.  He was fairly wealthy as they lived at Gate Court Northiam and must have been close to Charles Barry who was an executor of Francis Tress's will hence the child of Charles Barry and Harriet Ades was named Francis Tress Barry after him.

Kind regards

Roger
Thorpe (East Sussex), Wenham (East Sussex) Willett (East Sussex and Kent) Ades (East Sussex) Rushton (Staffordshire Moorlands) Finney (Staffordshire Moorlands) Wheeldon (Staffordshire Moorlands) Critchlow (Staffordshire Moorlands)

Offline berntsen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 November 11 08:19 GMT (UK) »
I have just come across your message. The Anne Maria Jane you talk about is Anne Maria Jane Niblett not TRESS. She married Robert Ades on 10 June 1797 in Dorking, Surrey. Her parents were Harry Niblett and Elizabeth Starr.
Hope this helps.
Judy Berntsen