Author Topic: MacLeods of Stornoway COMPLETED  (Read 30264 times)

Offline annypanny

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MacLeods of Stornoway
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 22 January 11 08:50 GMT (UK) »
I think Murdo is listed as a mariner in a previous listing!!!   On Roderick's attestation papers Murdo is listed as 2530 James St E. Vancouver.  Haven't pinned an occupation for him though....

Online J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 23 January 11 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Murdoch was a Mariner in 1915 and was living at 4521 James Street....seems today James street only has a few numbers in the 4000s and none in the 2000s ( Near Queen Eliz. Parl) ...and if you go through the directory pages to which I gave a url, it  was the same back then....so Roderick may just have made up a number on James street. There is no 2530.
At least that's how I saw it...Go ahead and look for more "J" street listings, I could be wrong. There is a street as well as a surname index. He is listed in both in the greater Vancouver alphabetical index

1238 E  Pender Street is just a few blocks up main street and over a few... nearer the harbour
In 1919 I assumed he was the mate listed as he worked on a Steamship....Coast S.S. Co. is likely a shortening for the "Grand Trunk Pacific Coast Steamship Company". There are other Murdochs and Rodericks and Georges in those listings, so you may want to look at them to see if anything clicks.

Oh, I didn't see that there are 2 Murdoch Mcleod occupation seaman in 1922...not that it matters much as all are close to the harbour...
47 21 Ave W is nearer the Queen Eliz Park address...1149 Keefer St is nearer the Pender address
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Online J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 23 January 11 01:38 GMT (UK) »
Murdock being a mariner, I suspect he may have entered from that coast. Roderick says he came through from the East. I looked at the Quebec 1905 lists to 1910 that are transcribed and took a copy of all the Georges, Murdocks and Rodericks...I have them in an image file and just remembered them & went back to them now...
Here's one in 1909 I'll look for more details to see if it might sound like your man...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Online J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 23 January 11 01:49 GMT (UK) »
This one says farm labourer going to Moose Jaw Sask to be a farm lab. Still I suppose any we find may have left the train in Winnipeg and ventured elsewhere...but it would be a nice package to find one going to work for the HBC co.

http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e143/e003558052.jpg
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/passenger/001045-119.02-e.php?sisn_id_nbr=5149&page_sequence_nbr=1

That was my only Roderick of right age and right date....I do have lots of George's near correct birth dates if more information comes to light...( reminder:   my rootschat folder Mcleods 2011) Lots of Murdochs as well, but as I said we may have him entering the west coast.

Online J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 23 January 11 02:30 GMT (UK) »
Ahhh a connection? A Roderick is a labourer living at 47 west 21 Ave ...where one of the Murdock Mcleod, occ. seaman is living! There is a George 1157 E. Pender...and not that it is he, but just up by the harbour, a G, McLeodworks as a carpenter for B.C. Electric Railway

Offline annypanny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 23 January 11 21:14 GMT (UK) »
This is great.......If we could find out a wee bit more about George......Maybe Roderick followed his older brother into the trade....I checked out the boys occupations in the 1901 census but again nothing....Murdo and George were general labourers and Roddy (I feel I know him well enough to call hime Roddy now) was a scholar.  I checked out SP to see if Roddy and his new wife had any kids after their marriage in 1918-22 but it's impossible to see due to the amount of M*cLeod births in their area during this time.....I will hopefully get to go through to Edinburgh in the near future and find out.....

Thanks
Annie

Offline annypanny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 23 January 11 21:50 GMT (UK) »
I had a look on google street map at 47 west 21 ave, it had a number 9 then up 204. Has the numbering system changed.....I'm not famiar with the grid system with numbers.....was obviously looking for a number 47....It looks like a nice neighbourhood.......but the houses look fairly new so I assume Murdo and Roddy were living in a tenament style flat....

Ahhh a connection? A Roderick is a labourer living at 47 west 21 Ave ...where one of the Murdock Mcleod, occ. seaman is living! There is a George 1157 E. Pender...and not that it is he, but just up by the harbour, a G, McLeodworks as a carpenter for B.C. Electric Railway

Offline annypanny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Monday 24 January 11 12:08 GMT (UK) »
From the Hebridean Connections website (great website)

In relation to the name Effie, it's a short from of Henrietta!!!

http://www.hebrideanconnections.com/Support.aspx

I wasn't positive that was Effie's death, need proof before claiming her....as ettie/Netty is more the short form of Henrietta, not Effy but she may have used the short form of a middle or first name ... :D Guess we might get some confirmation that those were the right parents, if there is a name we recognize on the death cert when susan gets to the archives...

Offline JustLooking

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Monday 24 January 11 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie

I'm not sure about that as the (Scottish) whatsinaname site that many of us swear by for Scottish names has it short for Euphemia:

Effie (female)
Variants:   Oighrig (F) Phemie (F)
Pet Name for:   Euphemia (F)

Source(s):    The Oxford Names Companion, OUP
"Scottish Forenames" - Donald Whyte, FGH, FSG
Clan MacLean Website

Notes:    

1. English pet name for Euphemia, from a Late Greek name representing "fair speech".

2. The Scottish Gaelic forename Oighrig has been variously Anglicized as Africa, Erica, Efric, Effie, Euphemia and a large number of variants [see the Clan Maclean website].

Also, Henrietta ~

English feminine form of Henry [q.v.], from Old German "head of household", a parallel derivation to that of the French name Henriette.

Henrietta has been used as an Anglicized form of the Gaelic Oighrig.

http://www.whatsinaname.net/female-names/Effie.html

JL
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk