Author Topic: Canada question  (Read 7024 times)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Canada question
« Reply #18 on: Monday 24 January 11 04:32 GMT (UK) »
I don't know who the informant was on the death registration.  The error was either in the person giving the information or the transcription of the record.

Debbie

Added:
The 1861 Canadian census image can be viewed through ancestry

Online J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 24 January 11 04:37 GMT (UK) »
I bet she was smart enough to keyword Zimmerman, as I don't think I did it..but then I got so much garbage using it, I gave up....I once liked the ancestry database, but is it getting all bunged up lately?

This may be Mary's christening in Malta ?    CATELLA, Mary Jane 1838/1839
 ( not sure if that means birth '38 baptism 39?) http://website.lineone.net/~remosliema/baptisms.htm

Cleary, O Leary, Costello  but that christening was all I found with close to the Catella spelling...(some Cattle CUTTELL, Castellow)
http://website.lineone.net/~stephaniebidmead/other%20sites.htm
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Sedna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hello world
    • View Profile
Malta Family History INDEX OF BAPTISMS BY ARMY CHAPLAINS 1800 - 1900
« Reply #20 on: Monday 24 January 11 22:57 GMT (UK) »
JJ:  That is probably her.  I wonder where the website owner got that information?  I wrote an email and hopefully I will get a response.

Thanks again everyone.  This has been a great help.

Online J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 24 January 11 23:35 GMT (UK) »
1900 U.S. census http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#c=fs%3A1325221&p=collectionDetails
Ferdnend Moutier  Detroit city, Wayne, Michigan b. Nov 1863 Canada /  Fr ( parents Germany)  immigration year  1866
Josephine Moutier b. Jan 1861 Canada /  immigration 1881
married 6 years / 1894 / 0 children
Louise must have been a mistake on the marriage as she is the grandmother...living in previuos household with father-in-law-Alex...Image is available for viewing...

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 05:08 GMT (UK) »
A possible baptism for Joseph, although I have just realized this child doesn't match the 1852 Census .... on the other hand, there is always the possibilty of death of the 1852 Census Joseph ....

Translated from the French, in the Drouin Collection

Joseph Catella
Born 24 Apr 1853
Baptized 03 May 1853
Parents Joseph Catella, Servant, Absent and Ann Thomas of the Parish of Toronto.
At Montreal, Notre Dame Basilica

Ann could easily be derived from Johana/Hanna.

Looks like this Joseph will need a bit more research to see whether this is the correct family, however.

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 15:37 GMT (UK) »
The French phonetics could mean this was just a bad spelling of Cottelier, Catelli etc...but it could also be the same Joseph having a young one...we've found odder connections. I looked at Montreal directory for several years surrounding the birth and there is only one similar name for years and that is catelli, so that might be that family...

However I cannot find the Joseph from the 1852 census, who is said to be born Ireland, on any other census anywhere either. Also is father Joseph born Italy or England?

It seems Johanna may have died between the 1861 and the 1871...I searched here before but must have been prior to proper spelling?  http://www.islandnet.com/ocfa/search.php
CATTELLA, Johanna     St Michael's  (Burial Register 1855-1870)   York /Toronto/TO-TRN-011
Here is where you write for more information...give them the information above & mention that she was Irish and her last name may have been OLeary as they can search for her another way as well.
Toronto Branch, OGS
                   Box 518, Station K
                   Toronto, Ontario, Canada
                   M4P 2G9

Online J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Looking back Josephine cannot belong to Johanna as she was older than Joseph, and born near the turn of the century....so Elizabeth is a new wife or a daughter in law?? ( Joseph Jr.?)  Josephine is with them so whose daughter is she? and again, where is Joseph Jr? Has he gone to the states as Malita may have...Where's Malita 1850 Canada or U.S. census, age approx. 18, before her marriage in 1855? Probably only raised in Quebec, as others say born Ireland/Malta...
I know polar bear has been wracking her brain on this and doing lots of searches, and likely the rest have been as well...we'll crack this nut yet!

Offline Sedna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hello world
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 17:43 GMT (UK) »
I think I have this sorted. 

Joseph Catella married (Jo)hanna O'Leary.  They have 3 kids, Maleta L (married John B Zimmerman), Joseph Jr, and Mary (marries Samuel Cleary).  Joseph Jr. marries Elizabeth and has  Josephine (though her mom is listed as unknown on her marriage, she's living with Elizabeth and gramps when she's five). 

Then if we work in what Polarbear wrote, Joseph Jr. marries Ann Thomas and has Joe III.

And BTW, that mystery Zimmerman from 1861 is Maleta L and John's daughter, (Maleta) Susan Zimmerman.  Dates match up with what I have and it looks like Susan when you know what you're looking at.

Online J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 20:30 GMT (UK) »
We figured that was Maleta Susan, from your online entry...but as far as the Elizabeth Catella goes, she may well fit smoothly into that round hole, but we haven't shaped her yet...Just because we find things, doesn't make them part of the whole until we have all the proof. If it is good enough for now, however, let us know...that's alright too but we don't want someone looking at this thread and assuming that's the correct story... finding that marriage with parents would be the best, natch...

Send for the details in Toronto, and see what comes of that, but please let us know what has developed...(on this thread, don't start a new one!)....to find an existing request just go up to search and look for the surname...then put your username in the blank... J.J.

;D plus need to remember that Your John B. married a gal who could be his daughter, so don't discount it yet here)