Author Topic: Canada question  (Read 7022 times)

Offline Sedna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hello world
    • View Profile
Re: Canada question
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 January 11 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again for all the help.  Thanks for the welcome too, Polarbear, and the condolences.

JJ:  I had been to that LDS site before but never heard that abbreviation before.  Now I get it.  :)

I hadn't thought of the French-sounding surnames you suggested.  Because the variations I had seen were Castellar, Catella, and Castella, I was thinking more Latin or even Black Irish (I've tried Costello a few times).  I'll have to add your suggestions to the list. 

So what are my next steps?  Just slogging through those links?

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 January 11 22:45 GMT (UK) »
As I said without finding the forename, we'll be looking for ?  /
I looked in here, but nothing strikes me as even close in Montreal...Perhaps they were only "near" Montreal

http://stevemorse.org/montreal/montreal.html  Have a peek through the "C" pages...Just put C in blank & get all pages to look at...You could later try K I suppose. As I said the trouble is the phonetics? What if her real name is Kessler...see what I mean?  J.J.

She has such a wonderful first name...and not used particularly often...why can't we find her, argh!!!
Still tried looking more today. Hoping we'll figure this one out. Hoping for the best.
You never know when something might come to light.

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline daproudlove

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 January 11 17:07 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure if this is what your looking for but it looked of interest to me.  In 1861 Dist #3 St. Patrick Ward, York, Canada West there is a family of Zimmerman's from New York staying with a family of Cattella's.  It is very difficult to read but here goes:
Jos (or Jas) Cattella  age 59  occ. Butler  b. Italy
Mrs (or W) Cattella   age 6?                     b. Ireland?
Jos (or Jas) Cattella(?something is after the last name) age 24  occ. Carpenter  b. Ireland?
Mary? Cattella      age 22           occ.?        b. Malta   !!!
Mrs. Zimmerman     age 31                          b. England             resides New York
? Zimmerman (female) age 5                        b. NewYork           resides New York
John Zimmerman  age 1                                b. Canada        resides New York
All are Roman Catholic
I found a death record for Jas Catilla b. Italy about 1802 for Jan 9 1887 in York. 

This seemed promising hope it helps.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 January 11 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Ohhhhhhh, awesome find! Well done!  J.J.  hmmm...Malita born England!!!

1881 census St Andrew's Ward, Toronto, York, Ontario
 A Joseph CATTLR ( married)  Italian  age 73 born Italy no occ given Roman Catholic
 Elizabeth ( married) age 43      Ireland 
 Josephine CATTLR  Italian age 22 born Ontario Servant
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/Census/household_record.asp?HOUSEHOLD_CODE=1881CN_659314

actual image looks to be Cattlo to my eyes, although the enumerator does have a proper "r" in most cases,  there are some ending "r"s that are made this way...so It could be either
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e328/e008182488.jpg
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 January 11 20:21 GMT (UK) »
How one piece of information brings to light others.  Certainly was a good find on the 1861 census.

Mary Catella b. 1840 Malta d/o Joseph Catella and Hannah O'Leary married Samuel Cleary b. 1843 Montreal, Quebec on 23 Jan 1865 at Toronto.

On the 1871 census in St. Patrick's Ward Toronto is the Cleary family
Samuel, 28 and Mary 30 with Francis J. (5), Jeny L. (3), Hugh A. (2) and mary J (10 mos) with Josephine Cattella, 13 b. Ontario.

1881 census in St. Johns Ward Toronto
Samuel, 39 carpenter b. Que with Mary J. 42, b. Malta (Italian origin) and children
Franics J., Jane Ll, Alfred H., Mary J., and the additionof Frances E., (8 ) and Florence E. (6).

The 1891 St. Thomas Ward Toronto with Samuel 48, b. Que. with father B. Que and mother Ire. and wife Mary, 51 b. Ire with parents both born Ireland and children Minnie, 20, Fannie 12, and Florence 14.

On the 1900 US census for St. Louis Missouri is plumber Alfred H. Clary, single, b. Feb 1871 Canada with father b. Canada and mother Engl. and an immigration year of 1890.  Living with him is his mother Mary J. Clary, widowed, b. Apr 1839, 61 b. Eng. with parents b. Eng.  This is most likely the widow of Samuel even though some census information doesn't track.

Death of Alfred H. Cleary b. 1874 Toronto s/o Samuel Cleary, b. Montreal and Mary Cleary, b. Malta West Indies.  died 18 Apr 1924 Chicago Illinois at 50.  ocupation plumber.  buried Mt. Carmel.  No indication of marital status and there appears to be another Alfred H. clary who marries in Chicago around the same time that this one is in Illinois.

Debbie

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 23 January 11 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Arrrgh, no time to help today but wanted to comment on what a great find the 1861 Census is  :).

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 23 January 11 20:53 GMT (UK) »
yay Debbie that got the boat rocking again June 1893 Detroit, Wayne, Michigan
Ferdinand J. Moutier b. 1863 Canada  /  Alex Moutier  & Louise Mahler
married Josephine Catella b. 1863 Canada / Jos. Catella

Tried Jos.  for father..as he may have like being called the old country name Joseppi / Guiseppe, etc

another entry had the image & witnesses, J.L. Moutier Pontiac Mich and Florence CLEARY St.Louis (Mr?)
http://search.labs.familysearch.org

some of this matches for Ferdinand in 1881...Detroit, Wayne, Michigan, the boys are clerks and Alex was one before he died...1877 directory
( note: Irish born Costello family next door in case they tie in somehow?)
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/Census/household_record.asp?HOUSEHOLD_CODE=1880US_7662315

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 23 January 11 20:57 GMT (UK) »
On the 1852 census in Quebec County Quebec City District 38 Subdistrict 558
ancestry has it indexed as Cottella

the first entry is scratched out but it might have been Joseph Cattella as the age was 45, male, b. Eng. and occupation servant and was a member of the family.
The female is Johana(?) Cattella, 50, married, b. Ireland, Catholic
Joseph Cattella, 16, occupation prentice b. Ireland
Mary Cattella, 13, b. Malta

Debbie

Glad you found some trace of the family south of the border as I couldn't find anything in Ontario

Offline Sedna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hello world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 24 January 11 04:05 GMT (UK) »
HOLEY MOLEY  :o  you guys are awesome  :D  Thank you so much, JJ, DaProudLove, and Cosmac/Debbie.  And all the other folks who tried and didn't post.

I certainly have a lot of data to sift through.  I started making a spreadsheet to better visualize it all before I put it into my chart.

DaProudLove:  How did you find that 1861 census record?  Was it on microfiche?

Debbie:  Why did it list Malta as being in the West Indies?  I would think the country in the Mediterranean, I can't even find one in the Caribbean.