Author Topic: seeking family of Alfred Tuohy 1891 -? Ennis  (Read 3518 times)

Offline bclc71

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
seeking family of Alfred Tuohy 1891 -? Ennis
« on: Thursday 20 January 11 12:15 GMT (UK) »
My great grandmother Margaret Cole Copeland was last seen my her family around 1916-1918 when her two young daughters were abandoned/  handed over to her widowed husbands family. all contact was then lost with her.

I finally found her second marriage today and would love to find descendants of his who might be able to throw some light on her life after that time.

my ancestor - Margaret Cole (born 1892 Queens Co), married 6.8.1911 Ennis to John Copeland, Limerick

3 March 1924 remarried Alfred Tuohy, labourer at Pro cathedral Ennis.

witnesses were Patrick Tuohy ( Alfred's brother) and Mary Butler ( Margaret was related to butlers through her sister Alice Cole, married Martin butler 1906)

1911 Census shows Alfred Tuohy living # 44 Old Mill Street, Ennis with parents John and Mary Tuohy and 8 siblings. ( Mary, Bridget, Margaret, Agnes, Pat, Annie, Katie and Christina.) at this stage Butler family lived #13 old Mill Street.

As this is a big family there must be some descendants out there who know about Margaret and we would love to hear from anyone with any clue. Alfred and Margaret may have had children too ??

From BMD index I believe Margaret died in 1952 in Ennis.

thanks

Barbara

Offline bclc71

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: seeking family of Alfred Tuohy 1891 -? Ennis
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 10:52 BST (UK) »
Happy to report that contact has been made!

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: seeking family of Alfred Tuohy 1891 -? Ennis
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 17:46 BST (UK) »
For what its worth;-
]COPELAND, JOHN. Rank: Guardsman. Regiment or Service: Irish Guards. Unit;2nd Battalion. Date of Death:26-October-1914. Service No:5116. Born in Toyness, County Limerick. Enlisted in London while living in Toyness. Killed in Action. Supplementary information; In the 1911 Census he is listed as boarding with the Kenny family at 54 Old Mill Street, Ennis. His occupation was a stone cutter and was 30 at that time.
Clare Journal, 1914;
Clare Victims of the War.
 News has reached Ennis that Pte John Copeland, Scots Guards; Pte Michael Scully (Ballyea), Irish Guards; and Pte Murphy, Clare Castle, Irish Guards, have been killed in action.
Grave or Memorial Reference: XXI. H. 5. Cemetery: Hooge Crater Cemetery Zillebeke, Belgium.

COLE, RICHARD. Rank: Fireman. Regiment or Service: Mercantile Marine. Unit: S. S. "Keeper" (Limerick) Age at death: 23. Date of Death: 10-June-1917. Steamship Keeper’ was built in 1906 and owned by J. Bannatyne & Sons Ltd, Limerick. She was torpedoed and sunk possibly by German submarine UC66 during a voyage from Belfast to Limerick. 12 seamen were lost including four Clare men; CONSIDINE, ARTHUR, COLE, RICHARD, McCREADY, WILLIAM and McMAHON J. Supplementary information: Husband of Delia Cole, of Mill Rd. , Ennis, Co. Clare. Memorial: Tower Hill Memorial, UK.

Above is from the Clare war Dead