Author Topic: 2011 census form peek  (Read 36653 times)

Offline monica meg

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 census form peek
« Reply #36 on: Monday 28 February 11 15:15 GMT (UK) »
My only concern is the religion question, as the gov TV advert says this census helps plan for the future, what am I missing? what plans do the gov have for religion?

Confused monicameg
Burnett, Manchester, Halifax
Mccaffery Manchester, Ireland
Law Manchester
Riley Manchester, Ireland
Boswell Manchester, Ireland
Hamilton, Lanarkshire Scotland
McLauchlan Lanarkshire
Lawson Lanarkhire
Yuill Raeside Lanarkshire
Nimmo Lanarkshire

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 28 February 11 15:30 GMT (UK) »
They'll be able to knock down a few churches if none of us are religious anymore  ;D ;D ;D

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 28 February 11 15:34 GMT (UK) »
It states The Householder should complete the form and their definition of a householder is:

The householder is the person who lives, or is present, at this address who:
• owns / rents (or jointly owns / rents) the accommodation; and / or
• is responsible (or jointly responsible) for paying the household bills and expenses

Now, that applies to me as much as my husband, but I bet they expect the man to complete the form.  However, I will be doing it.  My husband hates filling in forms and whenever he has one to do he gives it to me, even if I have to keep asking him for the info. ::)

Lizzie

Modified By the way, I do lots of surveys for money or vouchers and as far as I can see most of the questions on the census don't ask for any more info than the surveys which are carried out by private organisations for private companies or government.

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 28 February 11 15:38 GMT (UK) »
The religion question is the only voluntary one so a bit pointless as a statistical exercise anyway. 

I doubt they have any specific plans - but without knowing any numbers they can't really make any.

Personally I think given the current climate, knowing the numbers who claim a specific religion in this country would be quite useful..not in a negative way - but for the provision of facilities, education etc.

At the moment, with it being a voluntary question, the results will be skewd - with only those with strong feelings being counted (or not counted).

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sahara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Just had a look and I'm now trying to work out what box to tick for my three year old when it asks how well they speak English! Is that well for an English person or well for a three year old?

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Just had a look and I'm now trying to work out what box to tick for my three year old when it asks how well they speak English! Is that well for an English person or well for a three year old?

Perhaps the answer to Question 18 is English so that you ignore Question 19 and move on to Question 20.

Nigel
Essex - Burrell, Thorogood
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
North Devon - Burgess, Chalacombe, Collacott, Goss
Northamptonshire - George, Letts, Muscutt, Richardson
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Offline Sahara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 21:57 GMT (UK) »

Perhaps the answer to Question 18 is English so that you ignore Question 19 and move on to Question 20.

Nigel

Doh! Must read previous questions first! Although I am a little disappointed that I cannot fill that question in for him... I was quite enjoying idea of my descendants having to interpret that one!

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Doh! Must read previous questions first! Although I am a little disappointed that I cannot fill that question in for him... I was quite enjoying idea of my descendants having to interpret that one!

Well I can imagine some families who are only temporarily living in the UK, whose first language is not English, and who have a child under, say, age 1 having some problems with Questions 18 and 19.  ;D

Nigel 
Essex - Burrell, Thorogood
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
North Devon - Burgess, Chalacombe, Collacott, Goss
Northamptonshire - George, Letts, Muscutt, Richardson
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 22:57 GMT (UK) »
My two and half year old grandson can sya NO very clearly,does that count  ;D

He can also say Kit Kat even before the cupboard is open  ;D ;D

Carol