Author Topic: Birth-Baptsim - BANKS  (Read 1757 times)

Offline poppets

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth-Baptsim - BANKS
« on: Saturday 22 January 11 04:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm looking for the birth/baptism of James Banks born c.1839. Father Matthew Banks. I don't know the mother's name.

James' profession in 1862 was Coal Miner, so his father may have been a coal miner as well. James had left Ireland by 1862 and married Margaret Young in Northumberland.

In the 1881 census in Northumberland, James' place of birth is recored as Ireland. In the 1871 census, James' place of birth is recorded as 'Wales, Cavaan'. I assume that this is actually Cavan, Ireland.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Casey

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth-Baptsim - BANKS
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 January 11 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Do you know what religion the family were? Since civil registration of births in Ireland didn't start until 1864 you'll need to search for church records (if they exist). You also need a more exact place than 'Cavan' - parish if not actual townland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline poppets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 January 11 00:57 GMT (UK) »
James was married at the Register Office in Northumberland, so no clue there. However, from his son's marriage certificate, the son (William Banks) was married in a Roman Catholic Church in Northumberland. I guess we can assume then that James was Roman Catholic.

Unfortunately Cavan is as specific as I can get. James Banks appears in 2 Census returns (1871 and 1881). In the 1871 census his place of birth is recorded as Cavan and in the 1881 census his place of birth is only recorded as Ireland. There are no other records that I can find that give any other hint to where exactly in Ireland James came from.

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 January 11 10:09 GMT (UK) »
There are 29 Banks deaths in Cavan on the LDS pilot site. You really need extra information to narrow the search.

There are no Banks in Griffiths Valuation. There are  2 in the 1901 census.www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search

Did James leave a will, or were there any obituaries in the papers, or a gravestone in England, all of which might give a clue to where in Cavan he came from? Any other Irish families living nearby in the 1871 & 1881 censuses (who might be from his part of Cavan, as people often lived near people they knew).
Elwyn