Author Topic: Hibbets & Daisleys from Gamlingay area  (Read 24658 times)

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hibbets & Daisleys from Gamlingay area
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 30 January 11 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robin,

Well done, how nice to know that it all fits in.

I see that you have a tree on Ancestry but assume not everything is confirmed, will have another look at that later and also JHL's military thing.

Anyway doesn't look like Olive went to sister Lily as she ended up back this way as she married in Hitchin area.  Is there any clue from her marriage certificate such as address or witnesses as to who she was brought up by?

I saw a marriage that I thought might be Rhoda's Florence will have to look to see if it is the one on your tree later.

Have you been in touch with any of the living relatives of Rhoda to see if they have anything you would be interested in?

Selina
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RobinIrvine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 30 January 11 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Yea my tree is on genes, also ancestry and also www.irvinefamilytree.com (working progress). Genes is usualy my master and I copy over the gedcom to ancestry every couple of weeks.

The Smith side is mostly backed up with documents and have photos at each generation back Luke smith. This has been hard work and I'm fairly proud of it, as my mum did not know any family (grow up children's homes) and two years ago I introduced my mum to her mum, who had been looking for her for many years. So that ended well and I'm still learning about the smith side.

Its the daisley & Hibbett side that has me stuck, I have no photo's from before Olive, it seems as if the family were completely detached.

The only living relatives under Rhoda which I've been touch with is from the Olive line, my nan (above) Jean Smith, Olive's daughter. Jean (My nan) and her brothers and sisters are surprised at how the tree is turning up siblings of Olive, as no one had any knowledge.

regards
robin

** emailed olives marriage cert
Smith, Daisley, Irvine & Mathie

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 30 January 11 20:56 GMT (UK) »
That's a lovely story about your Mum, very well done and with a name like Smith too!  A wonderful reward for all your hard work.

Will go and have a look for the certificate on my email.

Will look at your tree and send details of the Florence marriage (1933) I saw if you don't have them but it might not be her.

Selina

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 31 January 11 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robin,

I looked at John Lewin's military record, nice details.

Also looked at Olive's marriage cert.  It might be interesting to know who lived at her address in 1933 from the Electoral Registers.  They are with Hertfordshire Achives and Local Studies as far as I am aware:
http://www.hertsdirect.org/libsleisure/heritage1/HALS/

You could try a request on the Hertfordshire Board, someone might be visiting and do a look up for you.

At age 21 Olive might still be living with whoever brought her up or she could be in lodgings so it might not be helpful.

Regards,

Selina

Offline RobinIrvine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 31 January 11 23:53 GMT (UK) »

Hi

Good idea, I've posted a request, fingers crossed. This might be the best lead on Olive for a while.

regards
robin

Offline RobinIrvine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 05 February 11 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Seline

I now have the marriage cert for Florence Daisley Sept 19 1933 to Edwin Victor Watson.
Florence 23 & Edwin 31

No one from the Daisley side as a witness and the bad news is, Fathers name and surname = 'Unknown, adopted child '

So it's now confirmed Olive, no father named and Florence adopted with no father named.

The odd thing is Florence was still at home on the 1911 census, must have been hard to give away a child after a year.

I've also received the Births for Florences & Edwins children

David Victor Watson b 20 March 1939 Chesterton
Paul Joseph Watson b 29 April 1941 Chesterton
Joy Mavis Watson b 13 Jan 1948 Chesterton

all have the correct parents Edwin and Florence

They lived at 10 pages close, Histon

I've done a bit of speculative research for Joy and think she may have married a Anthony Baker, marriage = Jul/Aug/Sep 1968 Vol 4a Page 892

Whats the best way of finding someone who may be living still ?

Thanks
Robin

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Saturday 05 February 11 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robin,

Not many easy avenues for living people.

192.com but if no free result comes up its not worth buying credits unless you can see one worth paying for.

Phone number.

Electoral roll - need the address and someone to look at it for you.

I will send a pm.

Selina

Offline RobinIrvine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Saturday 05 February 11 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again for your help.

Just read over the birth cert for Olive and Florence, in both cases the 'When and where' is "North Road House, Caxton Cambs - Caxton & Arrington" So you where 100% correct Rhoda did return to the work union in each case to have these two children.

Reseach is showing she had a tough time of it.

Regards
robin

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 05 February 11 22:15 GMT (UK) »
It would be nice to know more about why Olive and Florence were fostered/adopted out.

I would think that the most likely source of information from family stories might come from the descendants of the two older children, Percy and Lilian.

I haven't looked at Percy but Lilian stayed in Gamlingay until her marriage in 1930 and had five or six children that I can see, can also see that four, possibly five, married so there must be somebody about still.

Selina