Author Topic: Twnpant Newbridge on wye  (Read 3090 times)

Offline llangatwg

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Twnpant Newbridge on wye
« on: Saturday 22 January 11 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone describe the place Twnpant to me please via this site.  My greatgrandfather was born there and his mam died aged 26 years.  I was told that it was no wonder she passed away if I knew the conditions that the family lived in.  I am talking about 1870's not now.  Was Twnpant a farm or a village.  Would anyone in Newbridge on wye are know please.  Many thanks

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Twnpant Newbridge on wye
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 03:03 BST (UK) »
Hello  :)

Have you found the family on 1871 or 1881 Census so that we we may be able to locate the property?

I guess life would not have been easy for people living in Newbridge-on-Wye in the 1870s. It was a mainly rural area and increased use of machinery meant that fewer people were needed to work the land. Many people moved to the towns and cities to find work. Rural families lived in small rented cottages, with no running water or proper sanitation. They worked hard, and struggled to provide enough food to keep the family alive by keeping animals and growing vegetables. Disease was common, e.g. plithisis is seen on many death certificates. The hazards of pregnancy and child birth could result in the death of the mother and the child. Do you have your 2xG Grandmother's death certificate?

Llanyre National School (a Church School) opened on 6th January 1868 with 36 pupils and Headmaster William Tudor Thomas. It was intended to "provide education for children and adults, or children only, of the labouring and other poorer classes in the Parish of Llanyre or in any other adjoining Parish within a radius of three miles of the village of Newbridge"

In 1871 W E T Morgan (later Canon W E T Morgan) was ordained and appointed Curate of Llanyre, and services were held in the Schoolroom. He remained until 1878 so may have performed Marriages or Baptisms for your family. The Church wardens were Mr Williams of Bwlchdyarth, and Mr Jenkins the Cwm, a farm built on the remains of a Roman camp. Canon Morgan recalled that Llanyre men used to kick during fights rather than use their fists! Also that whisky had replaced gin as the tipple of choice.... perhaps that is why the fights became so violent.

Llanyre poor would have ended up in Rhayader Union Workshouse, like 5 year old Edith Jones in 1881:
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Rhayader/Rhayader.shtml

Kind Regards
Morgan

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 03:41 BST (UK) »
1840 Tithe map of Llanyre:
http://history.powys.org.uk/school1/llandrindod/lyr1840.shtml

Could Twnpant have been Cwm-nant?  :-\

Offline llangatwg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 14:22 BST (UK) »
hiya i found out that twnpant was a cottage in llanfihangel bryn pubaun occupiers were agricultural workers by the surname of watkins.  my ggggrandmother died when she was 26 years of age leaving three small children behind.  they ended up in buith wells workshouse.  thanks
does anyone have a photo please of the workshouse.

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hello  :)

I don't know of a photograph but there is a plan on the Workhouses site:

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Builth/

Modified - Builth Union Workhouse was not built until 1877, and housed 60 occupants.
Prior to that the Builth Board of Guardians believed that the poor were best looked after by 'Outdoor Relief ' - money paid directly to families who lived in their homes.

Kind Regards
Morgan