Author Topic: When did James Barrell die or was his wife Emma a bigamist  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Tigsy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
When did James Barrell die or was his wife Emma a bigamist
« on: Saturday 22 January 11 23:22 GMT (UK) »
This is a couple of ancestorsb(my Gt Gt Gt Gt Grandparents) I keep raising questions about, so my apologies for any repetition as it seems unresolvable.

I keep trying to find out more about James Barrell and his wife Emma Green/Barrell/Lambert.

James married Emma in 1813 in St Pancras and is mentioned in his 3 daughters baptisms which took place between 1821 and 1829 in St Pancras. 

There is no mention of him in 1841 and I haven't found a death for him between 1829 and 1841.  His wife Emma Barrell (nee Green) in the 1841 census  was with Lambert Herbert, and is listed as Emma Herbert.  She is not with her three daughters, ie. Hannah, Maria and Eliza (my Gt Gt Gt Grandmother).  She was however with her daughters in the 1851 census.

I have never found a death for James Barrell (which may help me establish his age and lead to more information) or a marriage for Emma Herbert to Lambert Herbert.  In the 1841 census she was living with Lambert and daughter Francis, who I suspect may not have been her daughter.

Any help with this would be great as its a brick wall I keep trying to resolve without success.
COLLINS - St Pancras, Kentish Town
LANGLEY - Kentish Town, Camden, Islington, Barnet
MCDONALD - St Pancras, London
CARTER - Kentish Town
HOWARD - Pimlico, Kentish Town, Surrey, Sussex
PROUDLEY - Kent, Sussex
TAYLOR - Devon
GREEN - Somerset
BARRELL - St Pancras, London
ANDERSON - Pimlico, Kentish Town
BROWN - Fenton, Staffs
BRUNT - Fenton/Longton Staffs

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
Re: When did James Barrell die or was his wife Emma a bigamist
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 January 11 23:31 GMT (UK) »

Hi

Not sure if this helps or muddies the waters even more but there is Banns a Marriage for Lambert HERBERT and Mary Frances DAVIES in St Pancras Parish Chapel Camden 8 Dec 1828.  One of the witnesses to their marriage in was James G GREEN. Lambert is listed as being a Widower.

Banns in St Marylebone Westminster March 1812 for Lambert HERBERT and Elizabeth SAUNDERS.

Cheers
Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 January 11 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Have you found the daughters in 1841 - who were they with?

There is a death in 1854 of a James Barrell aged 59 so born about 1794. Place of death Chelsea Royal Hospital, buried 3rd June1853. This is probably too late though.

Jan
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tigsy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 January 11 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, yes their daughters, Maria, Hannah and Eliza were living in Wilsted Street in the 1841 census.

I found the marriage you mentioned about Lambert Herbert, but never found a marriage for him to Emma.  I have also never found a baptism for Emma Green, in Frome Somerset, and even got the churches in Frome to check their records, without success.  At one stage I suspected that Emma was 'from Somers Town' at St Pancras, rather that 'Frome Somerset'.  If James Green was a witness then this would sort of comply with that theory.

James Barrell was an Ostler at St Pancras.  I am sure I found a possible marriage for a James Barrell after 1841, which makes me wonder if Emma and James did divorce or become bigamists.

The date of birth you have for that James Barrell would match for the marriage in 1813.

At the 'Who do you think you are' family history show last year it was mentioned that 'Barrell' was a Suffolk surname.  Until I can find a death for him, I can't establish an age for him.

This is a brick wall I would very much like to resolve.  James and Emma are both a very big mstery excepct I do have Emmas death certificate from 1867.  Shedied in St Pancras in the presence of my Gt Gt Gt Grandmother, Eliza CollinsBarrell

COLLINS - St Pancras, Kentish Town
LANGLEY - Kentish Town, Camden, Islington, Barnet
MCDONALD - St Pancras, London
CARTER - Kentish Town
HOWARD - Pimlico, Kentish Town, Surrey, Sussex
PROUDLEY - Kent, Sussex
TAYLOR - Devon
GREEN - Somerset
BARRELL - St Pancras, London
ANDERSON - Pimlico, Kentish Town
BROWN - Fenton, Staffs
BRUNT - Fenton/Longton Staffs

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 January 11 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Until the Divorce and Matrimonial Act of 1857 divorce could only be obtained by an Act of Parliament and was therefore only available to the very wealthy. Even after 1858 with no free legal aid it was beyond the means of many couples. Lambert died in 1845 and as no marriage has been found anyway there is no proof Emma was a bigamist or the other way around that Lambert may have been a bigamist. When marriages failed couples would go their separate ways. They might remarry or live together as man and wife with someone else. This might also be the case for widows.

A daughter for Lambert?

6th April 1847 Holy Trinity, Chelsea
Mark Coakes Full Age Bachelor Farmer Upper Chelsea John Coakes Farmer
Elizabeth Herbert Full Age Spinster Uppper Chelsea Lambert Herbert Shoemaker
Both signed
Witnesses Charles Tempest and Maryann Jorden?

On the 1861 census her age is given as 43

A burial at the Chelsea Royal Hospital would usually be of a Chelsea pensioner. The burial entry looks to be of a James Burrell?

Relationships are not given on the 1841 census so Frances Herbert is not necessarily the daughter of either Lambert of Emma. She was not born in the county.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk