Author Topic: Jacques Polet born France / died England lookup please  (Read 18661 times)

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Jacques Polet born France / died England lookup please
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 00:19 GMT (UK) »
His first wife was buried at St Dunstan's, Stepney on 11 Feb 1682/3:

"Isabella wife of James Polle, of Spitalfields, Weaver"

So he was a Weaver, and they were living in Spitalfields as originally suspected (This was part of Stepney parish until 1729)

Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 00:29 GMT (UK) »
He had a brother Abraham Polle, also born Leyden, who married Marie Aurelois, at the Threadneedle Street French Church, 20 May 1678. Abraham must have been married before too as he had a son Francois born in Leyden Circa 1664, so likely they left for England after that date and came between 1664-1671.
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 00:47 GMT (UK) »
In regards the burial

His brother's burial is here:

Abraham Pooley  of Spitalfields, Weaver   10 Nov 1713     St Dunstan's, Stepney

His own is a bit more difficult to identify as there are two candidates:

James Pulle, of Spitalfields, Weaver, 31 Dec 1706        St Dunstan's, Stepney
James Pulley, of Spitalfields, Weaver, 13 March 1717/8 St Dunstan's, Stepney

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 01:10 GMT (UK) »
1664-1671

I think it may be possible to narrow down the time frame further. The family were unlikely to have come from Holland to England between 4 March 1665 and  31 July 1667 as the Dutch were at war with England.

More likely they came because of this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_Devolution

Louis XIV, the French catholic King, invaded the Spanish part of the Netherlands bordering the Dutch United provinces, and was at war with the Dutch. I can imagine how Leiden wouldn't have felt terribly safe  and a move to England at that time, (1667–1668) would be desirable.

Offline Akira01000

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 05:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richarde1979,

Wow you've been busy thank you very much for your replies and information you have provided I'm in awe right now and never would have guessed they would turn up in south holland.

Leiden is going to be hard to track down for the information as the Zuid-holland registers aren't completely online.

Thank you so much for the information and tying it together I wasn't sure whether the records would be that detailed that far back.

Thanks Again

Cheers

Akira

Offline mgr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 12:12 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the Pulley family who reputedly moved from Canterbury to London about 1700. They too were weavers. Burke's Peerage suggest their original name was Polle/Pollet or similar. They became members of the Wax Chandlers Livery Company. The earliest person I have is John Pulley, born 1692 and supposedly baptised in the French Church at Canterbury but I cannot find a record of this. There was a Jonathan Pulley, possibly his brother or cousin who married an Esther. They had a sons Jonathan James, John David and Samuel, there was also another possible brother Daniel. I am descended from John's son David born 1723, who married Mary Milles 12th July 1749 in Sturry, near Canterbury, they had at least 8 children. I have been searching for ages to find their original French name. They were naturalised by Letters Patent as Pulley and the first one to become a Wax Chandler was in 1685 as a Pulley. I have a great deal of info on them as generations of Pulleys have kept up a familt tree from 1692.
Do you think this could be the same family
Marriott, Pulley- London, Seymour - London/ Oxon Boullen, Godefroy- Normandy/Guernsey/ Carlisle
Hastings, Todrig, Ayton- London,  Perry- Harrow,
Emms - Liverpool/ Kingston upon Thames,
Thurlby - Leasinghan/London
Reynolds, Pembroke, Jones/Llandegfan,
 Gibbs, Mason, Tunbridge Wells/Brighton .

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richarde1979,

Wow you've been busy thank you very much for your replies and information you have provided I'm in awe right now and never would have guessed they would turn up in south holland.

Leiden is going to be hard to track down for the information as the Zuid-holland registers aren't completely online.

Thank you so much for the information and tying it together I wasn't sure whether the records would be that detailed that far back.

Thanks Again

Cheers

Akira

No problem Akira.

Also bare in mind they will be in the records of the Walloon Church (Waals Kerk in Dutch) not the regular Dutch Reformed church. In effect they were already refugees in Leiden, the family probably moved there from the more southernly states of the Netherlands (now Belgium) where the Walloon people lived, i.e Namur, Leige, Charleroi, during the religious wars 1565-1648. The end result of those wars was independence for the Northern Calvinist Netherlandic States, and cities such as Leiden, while the Soutern Nerthlandic States, including the Walloon lands, remained under opressive Spanish Catholic rule. So many of the Calvinist Walloons would have left for the North at that time, to cities like Leiden, Haarlem and Amsterdam. Their decision to move on again to England, as in the post above, was likely the agressive threat to the Netherlands from the growing power of Louis XIV, which would also precipitate the flight of the Huguenots from France. France did eventually invade mainland Holland just a few years on in 1672, so they were quite right to fear this.

There was indeed a Waals Kerk in Leiden, there are some pictures of it here:

http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/547587239gbUOOj

So it's their records you'll need to source to find this family. Unfortunately they do not appear to be on the IGI, who do have the records of the Amsterdam Waals Kerk.

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 14:40 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the Pulley family who reputedly moved from Canterbury to London about 1700. They too were weavers. Burke's Peerage suggest their original name was Polle/Pollet or similar. They became members of the Wax Chandlers Livery Company. The earliest person I have is John Pulley, born 1692 and supposedly baptised in the French Church at Canterbury but I cannot find a record of this. There was a Jonathan Pulley, possibly his brother or cousin who married an Esther. They had a sons Jonathan James, John David and Samuel, there was also another possible brother Daniel. I am descended from John's son David born 1723, who married Mary Milles 12th July 1749 in Sturry, near Canterbury, they had at least 8 children. I have been searching for ages to find their original French name. They were naturalised by Letters Patent as Pulley and the first one to become a Wax Chandler was in 1685 as a Pulley. I have a great deal of info on them as generations of Pulleys have kept up a familt tree from 1692.
Do you think this could be the same family

Hello Mgr unfortunately I do not have the Canterbury records so cannot confirm or deny this for you.

One of the early London families Jean Polle and Jacqueline de La Motthe, had a son Jonathan Polle (brother of the Jacques Polle in one of my previous posts who married Elizabeth Gilson). Jonathan married a Mary Newton 1685 at Threadneedle Street and had several children baptised at the London Threadneedle Street Church, 1685-1705. Jonathan is not a usual name amongst the Huguenots, so there may be a link to your Canterbury family. Also the Du Bocqs stand as godparents to some of their children, they were a family established in both Canterbury and London (They were featured on the BBC's Who Do You Think You Are, as ancestors of the actress Julia Sawalha).

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Akira

This is the website of the Leiden Walloon Church, it is still operational. It originally opened in 1584. There is an email adress they can be contacted on to enquire where their records are held.

http://www.eglisewallonne.vze.com/

However I also had a look at the main Dutch genealogical site Central Bureau Voor Genealogie, and put the name in their search engine and it looks like one of their decendants there Anthonie Theodorus Polet (born Rotterdam 1928) has researched the family and written a couple of books. I don't speak Dutch but from what I can make out he traces the family in Leiden back to a Jacques Polet, who fled there from the Walloon town of Tourcoing in 1633. Tourcoing, in Flanders, was then part of the Spanish Netherlands, but was later annexed by Louis XIV into France about 35 years after the family fled from there, where it has remained since, on the border of Belgium, in the French Nord Department.

Here are the link to the books, may be worth trying to get hold of  copies and have them translated:

http://194.171.109.12/index.php?registratiecode=BG%20%20NL005372&status=D&exact=JA&cat=BWRD&zoekterm=pollet

http://194.171.109.12/index.php?registratiecode=BG%20%20NL005381&status=D&exact=JA&cat=BAUT&zoekterm=polet

EDIT: Akira, managed to find out this where the records of the Leiden Walloon Church (complete from it's foundation 1584) are held:

Leiden Municipal Archives
Boisotkade 2A, P.O. Box 16113, 2301 GC Leiden
tel. 071 516 53 55
e-mail: info@archiefleiden.nl
web: http://www.leidenarchief.nl/