Author Topic: Jacques Polet born France / died England lookup please  (Read 18664 times)

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Jacques Polet born France / died England lookup please
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Akira

Tourcoing & Lille were part of Walloon Flanders. Today they're in North France, on the border of Belgium. They were annexed into France by Louis XIV 1668, but before that between 1520-1668, the time period your looking at, they were part of the Netherlands, which itself was part of the Holy Roman Empire, ruled by the German/Spanish Hapsburg dynasty. Before 1520 it was part of the Duchy of Burgundy. The Duke was in theory a vassal of the French Crown, but in reality more or less independent!

All very confusing I know, as things often are in border areas, took me a long time to get to grips with it! Suffice to say the people that lived there at time your looking at, like your Pollets, were Walloon, not French, and subjects of the Spanish crown. But today after being so long in France, the people there consider themselves French, and Walloon has all but died out, instead a dialect of French, Picard is spoken. Nevertheless the rest of France, well alot of them, does seprate them, and sort of looks down on them a bit, calling them 'ch'tis'! There's an excellent film called 'Welcome to the Sticks' which was a smash hit in France a few years back, and revolves around a man from the South of France, who goes to this region, and lives among the 'natives'! Good display of French attitudes to them.
Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline mgr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 27 January 11 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richarde

Thanks for the historical info, this is getting very interesting and is progressing at quite a rate.
mgr
Marriott, Pulley- London, Seymour - London/ Oxon Boullen, Godefroy- Normandy/Guernsey/ Carlisle
Hastings, Todrig, Ayton- London,  Perry- Harrow,
Emms - Liverpool/ Kingston upon Thames,
Thurlby - Leasinghan/London
Reynolds, Pembroke, Jones/Llandegfan,
 Gibbs, Mason, Tunbridge Wells/Brighton .

Offline Akira01000

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 28 January 11 03:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richarde1979, mgr

Found the following mentioning Pierre Polet, one problem it's not the easiest written Dutch to read. Do you know how we can get this deciphered?

http://www.leidenarchief.nl/component/lei_archive_images/archive_number/506/inventory_number/282/tmpl/modal

Pages 181-183 Pierre Polet No 96 in the register

Cheers

Akira

Offline Akira01000

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 28 January 11 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richarde1979,

Had a look into the book by Antonie Polet it can only be viewed on site in Leiden and you have to make a formal request before the viewing.

It appears Antonie Polet's line is another line that survived the inquisition and the wars that followed.

From what I've found so far is that Nicholas, Jacques sons of Pierre but depends on what the document says it appears there is a time frame for Pierre Polet being in Leiden. Also have found a Marij Polet mentioned as a witness of a marriage.

Cheers

Akira

Offline mgr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 28 January 11 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richarde, Akira
Have found what appears to be an earlier marriage for Jean Pollet, son of Solomon to Marie Macare in 1648.  Do you think this is the same Jean who married Jaqueline De La Motte. There is also a birth on the IGI of a Salomon (1647) to Jean Pollet and Jeanne de Lannoy
There seem to be a lot of Salomons. Are there any in your line Akira?  I suspect the two lines ran out of ideas for first names and constantly named their children after their relations. It seems also that the Pollet men must have remarried very quickly after a wife's death! I realise they needed mothers for their children.
I cannot read Dutch at all, French is fine but that is as far as it goes sadly.
mgr
Marriott, Pulley- London, Seymour - London/ Oxon Boullen, Godefroy- Normandy/Guernsey/ Carlisle

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 28 January 11 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mgr

"Have found what appears to be an earlier marriage for Jean Pollet, son of Solomon to Marie Macare in 1648.  Do you think this is the same Jean who married Jaqueline De La Motte"

The IGI record of that man certainly looks as if it a first marriage. That said it is a submitted entry, so I'd check the original, and make sure they have the info correct.

Unfortunately I am not familiar with Dutch either Akira, I had a look at the book but couldn't really make out anything of use. There may be a Dutch section on these boards somewhere that could help?
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 28 January 11 19:03 GMT (UK) »
http://books.google.co.uk/books?ei=IxFDTd2II5ChOtzGuJEC&ct=book-thumbnail&id=O5BIAAAAYAAJ&dq=pollet%2Bmacare&q=%22jean+pollet%22#search_anchor

It's just about possible to get the info you need with google books sniipet view. That confirms he was married to both Jeanne de Lannoy and Marie Macare, before he moved to London and married Jacqueline De La Motte.

It is probably well worth buying this volume from the Huguenot society, so you can view it freely. There are 30+ hits for the Pollets. Nicolas seems to have died some time between 1715-1721. There is also an Arnout Pollet, whose married daughter had died by 1602. He may even be Nicolas's father.

Offline mgr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 29 January 11 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richarde, Akira
I have found entries on the IGI for Nicolas, gives quite a choice of birth dates ranging from 1560 to 1579, and birth place of Armentieres, France or Torcoing. Possibly more than one person. Father is given as Guerard, born abt 1534, France, died bef. 8/18/1598. These are also submitted entries so no guarantee they are right.
Off to the library next week to study the Walloon registers. Can I look anything up for anyone?
mgr