Author Topic: Jacques Polet born France / died England lookup please  (Read 18660 times)

Offline Akira01000

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Jacques Polet born France / died England lookup please
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 January 11 03:06 GMT (UK) »
A Jacques Polet joined the Threadneedle Street Church in 1677, with a testimony from the Huguenot Church in Canterbury that might be him. But there were already Polet's in London before then. Are you sure he was born in France not London?

Hi Richarde1979,

To be honest I hadn't been able to prove otherwise he could have been born in London as I'm not sure when they Arrived from France to England.

Cheers

Akira

Online Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 January 11 03:08 GMT (UK) »
The 1683 marriage said James was a widower and they were both from Stepney.

Prior to 1837, all marriages had to take place in a CofE church, except Quakers and Jewish I think, for the marriage to be legal. Even if they were Huguenot they would still have been married in an Anglican church.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Akira01000

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 January 11 03:20 GMT (UK) »

Prior to 1837, all marriages had to take place in a CofE church, except Quakers and Jewish I think, for the marriage to be legal. Even if they were Huguenot they would still have been married in an Anglican church.

Ian C

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the reply that's very interesting is that so they were always registered? And is this the same for baptismal records also?

Cheers

Akira

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 January 11 13:35 GMT (UK) »

Ian C

That only came in in 1753 with Hardwicks marriage Act. Before then they could and did marry in the French Churches. However this is not the case here of course, Holy Trinity was an Anglican Church.
Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline Akira01000

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 January 11 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richarde1979, Ian

Thanks for your reply,

I last night fixed up a timeline reflecting more information I've found and you've found also I have included to tie everything together.

00 aaa C1575 Walter Pauley / Pawley Born Unknown.

00 aaa C1595 Walter Pawley Marries to Unknown Mother of Thomas Pawley

00 aaa 1600 Thomas Pawley / Christened to Walter Pawley at St James Clerkenwell, London, England

10 Feb 1639 Thomas Pawley Marriage to Joane Perrye

00 aaa 1650 James Pawley Born To Thomas Pawley and Joane at Stepney, London (Possible Birth)

00 aaa 1665 - 1666 Event: Buboinic Plague outbreak in London

07 Sep 1666 - 08 Sep 1666 Event: Great Fire of London

00 aaa 1677 James Pawley becomes Jacques Polet after Joining the Threadneedle Street Church with testimony  (Could this be similar to an adult baptism ?)

00 aaa C1678/9 James Pawley / Pulley / Polet Marries first wife (going on Widower noted on second marriage)

08 Nov 1683 James Pawley / Pulley / Polet Marries Margaret Willett at Holy Trinity Minories

00 aaa 1686 Abraham Polet Born / Christened to Jacques Polet at Threadneedle street Church French Huguenot, London

Cheers

Akira

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 January 11 23:31 GMT (UK) »
"1677 James Pawley becomes Jacques Polet after Joining the Threadneedle Street Church with testimony  (Could this be similar to an adult baptism ?)"

Hi Akira, if that was him , then the testimony was from Canterburys Walloon & Huguenot Church. So you'd be looking there for his origins rather than in London. Many refugees went there first after arrival from the continent as it was nearer the coast, also between 1580-1675 the Weaving industry was established there, before being largely eclipsed by the London Spitalfields Weaving community from 1675 onwards. Many of those who used the Canterbury Church, were actually Walloons rather than French. The Walloons were Francophone subjects of the Spanish Emperor in the Netherlands, who fled the religious persecution against the Calvinst faith there.

In regards the testimony, when members joined the Threadneedle Street church in London they were required, wherever possible to have a Testimonial signed by the pastor of the church they had come there from, basically confirming they were indeed Protestants, and had knowledge of the basic tenants of their faith (Calvinism). This eased their passage into the new congregation considerably. If they didn't have one they'd either be vouched for by an existing member who knew them, or failing that, they's undergo religious training and testing by a pastor, and when they passed this, the pastor would provide their testimony.

If that was not him joining from Canterbury in 1677, he may have been born in London, but he  would not likely have been the  James Pawley Born 1650 To Thomas Pawley and Joane at Stepney, London, who  a native Londoner. He would have been baptised at the French  Church Threadneedle Street.

The only possible candidate I could find was a Jacques Polle son of Jean polle and Jacqueline De la Motte baptised there in 1652. However he was married in 1682 at that church to an Elizabeth Gilson. So is not your man.

There is also a different Jacques Pole, native of Leyden (one of the Dutch territories, now Leiden) marrying an Isabella Smith, of Canterbury, at the French Church Threadneedle Street, London, in 1671.

That couple had three children bapitsed there Sarah 1674, Pierre 1677, Lea 1680.

Since your Jacques was indeed a widow on his remarriage in 1683, I think that is likely him, and he was a refugee born in Leydon. Also given the 1677 testimony from Canterbury, and his wife being born there, I think you need to check the Huguenot records there for more info, possibly on what year he arrived. This does make him a Walloon Calvinist, rather than a French Calvinist (a Huguenot) subtle difference but worth baring in mind.
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 January 11 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Actually I can confirm your Jacques Pole is the same guy, because his last daughter with his first wife Isabella, Lea in 1680, has the same two godparents as the first child with his second wife Margeuritte Woolett/Willett, Jacques 1684. These are Claude Draule and Lea Daussy.

So your man was a refugee from Leiden, Holland.

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 00:01 GMT (UK) »
There is a Jacques Polet baptised around right time in Holland 21 Oct 1649
Amsterdam to Jacques Polet and Judict Caret. He may have been born in Amsterdam and later moved to Leiden as they are quite near, about 20 miles apart. There was large Walloon Kirk in Amsterdam, I'm not sure Leiden had one, so it may have been a case they travelled there to baptise even.

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Actually just had a closer look at the 1671 marriage and it does name his parents as Pierre and Francoise Pollet, so the Amsterdam baptism is not his.