Author Topic: Walter and Theophila PALMER of Herringswell  (Read 5886 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Walter and Theophila PALMER of Herringswell
« on: Sunday 23 January 11 12:28 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to confirm whether the Walter Orbell Palmer who lists his birth place as Herringswell in 1795 on the census is the son of Walter Palmer and Theophila Taylor who married in Herringswell in 1792.  The only entry I can find on the IGI is for a daughter Theophila baptised in 1795.  There are some websites that suggest they had a number of children but don't give any real dates or details so I'm a bit suspicious of them.  The Walter Orbell Palmer is a more likely candidate but would be interested to know if there are any other children to them.  Can't so far trace any Wills for Walter or Theophila and don't know what happened to daughter Theophila.  Theophila Taylor was baptised in Bury St Edmunds but her parents were from Risby and she's down as from Risby on the marriage.

Any help appreciated.  These are a distant sideline but it would be nice to be able to confirm who they were.

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walter and Theophila PALMER of Herringswell
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 January 11 15:11 GMT (UK) »
According to the Suffolk Marriage Index a Walter Orbell Palmer of Southacre NFK married a Susan EVERED on 13 Jan 1825 at Tuddenham St Mary.  Perhaps someone who has access to the Tuddenham Parish Records could do you a look up & see if his fathers name is given. 

This might also interest you from the Suffolk Burial Index

Theophila PALMER abode Herringswell buried 23 May 1814 age 21 at Risby St Giles.

Theophila PALMER abode South Acre, Norfolk, buried 1 Nov 1833 age 6 at Tuddenham St Mary

Theophila PALMER abode Bury St Edmunds, buried 3 Mar 1837 age 68 Risby St Giles.

Hope that helps
K

ps.  There was also a Walter PALMER buried at Risby St Giles on 14 Dec 1812 sorry no detail of age or abode given.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for those, had picked up the Risby burials and the marriage of Walter Orbell Palmer in Tuddenham but not the Tuddenham burial for some reason.  Does tend to make you think he's their son but need to confirm in some way.  May have to try and see if Walter who died in 1812, and who I think is the husband of Theophila, left a Sudbury Will since he didn't leave a PCC or Norwich Consistory Court one as I've checked!

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 15:32 GMT (UK) »
FamilySearch - Record Search does list quite a few baptism entries for Walter PALMER & Theophyla TAYLOR one of which is for a Walter bpt 6/10/1795 Herringswell.

There are also bpt entries for Theophyla  & Frederick on 6 Oct 1795, George 6 Aug 1796 & Charles 30 Jul 1796 - all with the same parents & all Herringswell.

K

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi K

Thanks for that.  Have to admit, as I hate the search on the new site, hadn't got round to having a look.  Judging by the film number, they are from the Bishops Transcripts for the parish as the LDS don't appear to have the original registers anyway.  It would seem that Walter must have adopted the middle name OR when the BTs were submitted it was ommitted. 

Thanks again.

Nicola

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 January 11 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nicola

Thats why I used the 'pilot' site  :)

Very unusual name - I wondered if it will link back to a family surname at some point there are lots of entries in that name on the Suffolk Burial Index in Risby, Hartest, Herringswell etc

Good luck
K

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 January 11 19:54 GMT (UK) »
They probably are related to the Orbell families in the area.  However, my interest is through his mother Theophila Taylor, her mother was Theophila Goodchild whosefather was Castle Goodchild, whose mother was Theophila Castel .... so you can see how the names ran through that family. :)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 June 11 12:49 BST (UK) »
FamilySearch - Record Search does list quite a few baptism entries for Walter PALMER & Theophyla TAYLOR one of which is for a Walter bpt 6/10/1795 Herringswell.

There are also bpt entries for Theophyla  & Frederick on 6 Oct 1795, George 6 Aug 1796 & Charles 30 Jul 1796 - all with the same parents & all Herringswell.

K

I have serious doubts about the George and Charles entries listed on familysearch, particularly as I think they are from the BTs and the dates are so close to the other children, and I can't find any burials for either.  I have since found that Theophila Palmer left a Will when she died in 1837 and in it she only mentions son Walter Orbell Palmer and the two children of  her son Frederick who died in 1826.  Yet there are a number of trees floating around claiming that the George mentioned on familysearch is the George Palmer in Stoke Ferry who was an illiterate agricultural labourer and died in 1850, with his family moving to the US.  Walter Orbell Palmer left £40k when he died in 1867 and the remaining members of the family I can follow through weren't exactly short of money.  It looks highly unlikely that George Palmer of Stoke Ferry is their son .... and similarly I doubt that the Joseph Palmer of Stoke Ferry who died in 1839 is likely to be either although he was a literate tailor. ::)

Nicola

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 July 11 17:26 BST (UK) »
I had a look at the Herringswell parish register today but it was very unclear.  Not very legible in places (feint) and the baptisms and burials are mixed in.

I found the baptism for Walter Orbell Palmer - he is the son of Walter and Theophila Palmer but could only make out "bn 25 June 1794" and not the baptism date.

There were some Orbell baptisms in the register so wonder whether Orbell might have been a surname from a previous generation? Quite common practice in Suffolk.

A Theophila born to the same couple some time between 1791 and 1793  :-\ which was too feint to decipher.

Then another muddly entry:
Theophyla dr and Walter and Frederick sons of Walter Palmer and Theophyla his wife late Theophyla Taylor were christened October 6th 1795.  There is a note to the side of this entry written in a small box which took some time to read.  I think it said: The births of the two former are (reported?) girl 1793 boy 1794.

Charles and George twins of Walter and Tho Palmer baptised July 12th 1796.

Charles Palmer buried 30th July 1796.
George Palmer buried 6th August 1796.

Anne