Author Topic: Walter and Theophila PALMER of Herringswell  (Read 5887 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Walter and Theophila PALMER of Herringswell
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 July 11 23:44 BST (UK) »
HI Anne

Many thanks for these, particularly in sorting out Charles and George whose burials have been listed on the IGI as their baptisms ::)

While I doubt it would make the least bit of difference to them if someone gave them the details, there are several people in the US claiming descent from George ... Something I had serious doubts about recently in light of the fact their George was an illiterate labourer, and this family did have money.

You are quite right that the Orbell name was taken from a previous generation, in fact there are several families in Suffolk with links to the Orbell family who used it as a first or middle name in later generations.

Thanks again

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walter and Theophila PALMER of Herringswell
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 September 12 21:49 BST (UK) »
I have just been researching Harriet nee Evered from Tuddenham, who married Frederic Palmer of Herringswell Hall and later Southacre. After his death she  remarried Thomas Grimwade Burt, one of my ancestors. (Much help from Claire.t of rootsweb with this).

Your strings mention Walter Orbell Palmer of Southacre and Susan Evered of Tuddenham. The dates would certainly fit. I feel sure there were close bonds between these two families. Susan and Harriet may have been sisters and Walter and Frederic, brothers.

My string is also on Rootsweb, Suffolk.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,616422.10.html

Would be very interested in any research you have which might link these 2 threads.

Harriet's daughter married Lewis Kent a wealthy farmer from Chippenham, Cambs, which borders the parishes of Herringswell and Tuddenham so I'm sure that they were all middle class and literate.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire