Author Topic: Helping others  (Read 5817 times)

Offline kevan

• RootsChat Senior
  • My beautiful grandmother - Ethel Litlechild
    • View Profile
Helping others
« on: Saturday 05 June 04 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
        I spent the day at the Essex Record Office today, not fantastic, but I had a few excellent finds. More importantly, there was a lady who was obviously struggling with the records / fiche and after waiting patiently for several minutes I was very pleased to be allowed to 'jump in' quickly, and find what I needed. Then this little old lady stated she was having problems finding Billericay, so I stopped what I was doing and found her the right area.
      A bit later, I got chatting to her, in different drawers, this time, and she asked whether London stuff was here, and after a short chat - I discovered she was looking for Marylebone.
      Anyway, the moral is that I feel that I could have done more to help this person at the time, and a bit like knowing how to zoom around a computer, or whatever analogy we might use, there are the occasional person (probably millions of you) who need a bit of extra time spent explaining just a few points about where things are, etc.. etc ..

This is one of the strong points of the Essex Record Office, that they always make sure you are comfortable in knowing where and how to start your research. I was certainly made very welcome on my first and subsequent visits.
     To sum up, yes I helped a little, but I feel I could have heped  a lot more for not much effort. I think I , and others should remeber this when we are rushing around doing all the semi-automated tasks that come so naturally.
      So, if you are a beginner, and are not sure what you are doing, ask for help. And keep asking until you get some advice, however trivial the question.
       Just thought I would share this thought with you all.
Best
Kevan
Kevan - Wilding, Littlechild, Beard, Cumbers, Murphy, Wickham, Lagden etc.
Public House info
http://essex1841.com &
http://pubshistory.com
http://historyofstratford.co.uk//

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
Re:Helping others
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 June 04 00:05 BST (UK) »
Dear Kevan,

Thank you for your experience...we could all learn a lesson here  :)

rootschat ;)
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 June 04 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hallo Kevan, I agree with every word you say and I hope I practise patience and helpfulness. I think one good rule of self-interest for all those of us who visit Record/Archive offices is, before we go there (especially for the first time), to check their website to confirm that they actually hold the archive we need to see. Especially in the case of Essex Record Office and their on-line searchable catologue, you can ascertain in pretty good detail what is held there and you can order it on-line in advance of your visit provided  you have a CARN card.
One thing does really bug me though and that is those people who do not put fiche back in the right place where they put the marker card. I find it difficult to understand how people can be so sloppy

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 June 04 10:49 BST (UK) »
I've only been doing my family history since August last year but the experience I have in research and computers has helped me jump in and make quick progress.  

I definitely wouldn't be where I was if I hadn't asked for help.  BUT when you are a beginner you feel awkward asking because you can't reciprocate, well that's how I felt/feel.  You have to remember that you will become expert in an area of research and you can help others.  So you may not help a person who has helped you but you can help others and spread the fellowship.

I have had some funny experiences in the library and Family Records Centre.  One obviously experienced researcher was sitting next to me obviously more interested in what I was doing wrong in there opinion.  

...Why don't you look for indexes rather than scrolling the whole film?
Because I can see the neighbours and distribution of families this way...

You should order photocopies rather than write them out you may make mistakes!
No, I'm perfect I don't make mistakes (joke).

Anyway my stony look shut them up for a bit.  But then I found a family on the 1841 census that had about 15 people in the house made up of the 3 surnames from the area I was interested in, the joy was over whelming.  So I gave small expulsion and a "Stone me, that's where you are hiding" and the peson next to me had the effrontery to shush me and say people are trying to work!!!

Anyway a ramble over nothing, sorry.  Be nice, be helpful AND say thanks when you are helped.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 June 04 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I agree whole-heartedly with the above sentiments.  

Trystan and Sarah started this board because they had seen others where the moderators took a high-handed approach that they felt would stop a begginner having the confidence to ask a question.  They wanted to have a place where no-one would feel afraid to ask a question,  no matter how basic it may be.

Sometimes the answer will be to point the poster to the place to read the answer,  if it is a common question.  More often it would be a personalised help.  Sometimes I move some of the postings,  but only ever to ensure they are seen by those best placed to help.  ;)

I try to remember I was a begginner myself,  not so long ago,  and I got hooked because of the help of generous strangers.

And Pam,  you are right,  it is always polite to say thanks.

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline kevan

• RootsChat Senior
  • My beautiful grandmother - Ethel Litlechild
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 June 04 00:42 BST (UK) »
Hi all beginners,
                        Questions please, or if you are not a beginner then ask anyway.
                        This site is brilliant, and the moderator people are pretty good too. Well done guys.
                         Even after a couple of years at this, I am not akin to asking stupid questions. I have lots of them.
                         Thanks to Kazaa and others for allowing this important, yet questionable line of comment to continue.
Best
Kevan
Kevan - Wilding, Littlechild, Beard, Cumbers, Murphy, Wickham, Lagden etc.
Public House info
http://essex1841.com &
http://pubshistory.com
http://historyofstratford.co.uk//

Offline scatty

• RootsChat Senior
  • Just love my genes !
    • View Profile
Re: Helping others
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 July 04 22:13 BST (UK) »
kevan and  to all who have helped   me during my short  time with rootschat A BIG THANK YOU  !!! and as my interest is also in the Essex area I certainly hope to bump into you if I ever make it across the Channel.

scatty
Fitzgerald/Mullane/Riordan/Heaphy/Barrett, O'Brien, Doneraile area
McCormack/ Brophy/Egan/Gavin,  Tullamore area
McCormack, Corr, Dublin
Hennessey and Heaphy in South Wales Valleys

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 July 04 07:34 BST (UK) »
I'm agreeing with ALL that has been said on prior postings.
My experience with records office was realised for the first time last January when I was in the UK.  First stop was the Surrey Family History Centre in Woking.  The staff could not have been more helpful and patient and fellow researchers very obliging.  I went well prepared, but still was overwhelmed with the sheer wealth & availability of information, so despite my well-planned approach to my research, I found myself diving into this drawer, that index, wondering what it held ( just like a kid let loose in a candy store ;D) coupled with the fact that I knew I could only get a couple of visits in before I returned home, I must have looked quite demented when they kicked me out at closing time, my eyes rolling in my head from looking at so many fiche & films ::)
The moral of this story is, always ask, it saves precious time and most people are only too willing to help, just like Roots Chat ;)

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline Kimi

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 August 04 21:24 BST (UK) »
I found quite a few of my ancestors through people very kindly doing look ups for me.  As I no longer live in London, it's very difficult for me to get to the Record Office.  Although I cannot do look ups for others, I have replied to queries on various message boards that I hope people have found helpful.  And yes, I agree, ALWAYS say thank you  :-*  I know that some of the people who have helped me are very busy with their own stuff.

Kimi
Ryder- Limehouse/Canning Town.
Couley- Limehouse. 
Hogben- Canning Town/Kent
Richbell- Kent.
Davies - Lancashire
Lester - Berkshire