Author Topic: Helping others  (Read 5819 times)

Offline EmPers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Helping others
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 August 04 15:37 BST (UK) »
Definately agree with what everyone has said about helping people and asking for help. When I visited the National Archives at Kew, I hadn't had much experience with microfilms etc, but an elderly lady next to me came to my rescue and showed me how to do it all properly. I felt a little awkward, as I wasn't able to do anything back and she'd taken time out from her own research to help me.

However, later on, I saw her using the online catalogue and looking a bit confused, I spoke to her and it seemed the main reason was that she wasn't too familiar with computers, and most of her research so far had been paper based. So I was able help her do her search and get used to computerised records and indexs. SO the moral of the story is, that even if you don't think you know enough to help, you might be able to help in ways you hadn't realised!!
WEST, PROCTOR - Fillongley, Warwickshire
CLARK(E) - Aston, Warks & Leicestershire
BETTERIDGE & THORNTON - Oxfordshire
FISHER -  Bromsgrove, Worcs,
SLAUGHTER - Evesham, Worc s & Birmingham

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 14 August 04 17:16 BST (UK) »
About ten years ago I was researching the history of the building I live in and went to the County Archives (better not name which one).  The lady in charge there was fearsome indeed (I later learnt that she was notorious) and I was made to feel that I was a nuisance.  In contrast, the local city record office staff and the local studies dept. of the library couldn't have been more helpful.  More recently, researching my family tree, I've had to deal, by e-mail and post, with several different record offices.  They vary enormously in their response.  Cumbria cheerfully replied to my e-mail and sent me photocopies in the post and charged me nothing.  Sussex told me almost nothing that I hadn't told them, and charged me a great deal.  What are other people's experiences of doing this sort of remote research?
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 14 August 04 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,

We had a similar discussion recently:

http://www.rootschat.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6625.0

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.