Author Topic: Robina Herbertson, Coule or Hope  (Read 1850 times)

Offline jasmi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Robina Herbertson, Coule or Hope
« on: Monday 24 January 11 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm looking for a Robina (Ruby) Herbertson, (b abt 1925) who went over to St. John, New Brunswick 1953, then, Ontario .

Any advice on how to trace her would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Janette

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robina Herbertson, Coule or Hope
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 January 11 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at the ships passage on Findmypast for Robina Coule b. 1927 departing Liverpool for St. John 1953?
A destination in Ontario would be helpful to try and find some trace of her.  Privacy laws restrict information that is publically available in Canada and what you usually end up using are secondary sources such as obituaries, newspaper articles, cemetery records and indexes, telephone directories, etc.

From previous posts here and elsewhere - correct me if I'm wrong -
Robina was born in Glasgow to Robert Herbertson and Lizzie Dickson in 1926 and was first married to John Coule.

Debbie

Offline jasmi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Debbie.

We'll have to try the secondary source as you suggest.  Unfortunately we have a brick wall with this.  Robina or Ruby is my husband's aunt, but he can't remember where in Ontario she was, it was so long ago. 

Maybe we could put an add in a newspaper or the like.

Anyway thanks again

Janette

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 03:22 GMT (UK) »
If you bought a few credits and looked at the image of the sailing (she seemed to be travelling with John) it would probably give a destination.  Passenger lists into Canada on ancestry are available up until 1935 and they can give contact person in Britain and destination in Canada.  Well worth the investment to give you a starting point.  Ontario is an extremely large province!

Debbie

Online Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 04:29 GMT (UK) »
If you bought a few credits and looked at the image of the sailing (she seemed to be travelling with John) it would probably give a destination. 

The outgoing passenger lists only give the country the person is going to, not a specific destination. The entry for Robina simply says she was going to Canada. She was 26 and her last residence in the UK as 12 Harcourt Road, Blackpool. There is a check mark in the column for infant female so she may have been travelling with a child.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline jasmi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Much obliged to you both.

I looked at the older incoming lists as John Coule was somewhat older than Ruby.  He had been in the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.  But that was before they married,  so they had no info on her.

By the mid 1960s she was using the name Hope. Unfortunately none of her letters have survived.

I'll start looking for a Baby Coule.

Thanks

Janette

Offline jasmi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have an address of 610 Main Street, for John Coule, from his 1st WW attestation - wife Louisa, they married St John 1914.

A daughter Georgina marries a Henry Ewart in 1940. still in St. John.

Can't find a death for John after 1953.

Would you know the latest  death records available to the public.

Thanks

Janette

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 January 11 02:38 GMT (UK) »
I didn't realize that the outgoing passenger lists lacked detail as to destination!

The John Coule who enlisted in Amherst was married in 1914 to Louisa James.  His parents were given as Thomas and Rose Coule.  Father Thomas also signed up for the CEF at Sydney Mines.  In 1911 Rose Ann(35) with children John(17), William(13), Frank(6) arrived in Canada destined to join her husband in Sydney Mines.

There are various sailings back and forth to England for Rose Ann.  Thomas came back to Canada in 1921 and showed a destination of Farnham Quebec and Rose Ann joined him later.  Her brother, William Collins, was their contact in Quebec.

There are border crossings for Frank Coule which showed his father Thomas living in Weston, Ontario (part of Toronto).  There is also a 1924 border crossing for John Coule, father Thomas of Weston, Ontario.  It showed that John had left in 1922 to be married (yet another marriage for John?)

There is a death for Rose Ann Coule of 6 Cobalt Avenue Weston, Ontario.  D. Sept 2, 1927 @ 52.  She was still married.  Buried Riverside Cemetery Weston.  Father William Collins, England and mother not known.

If this is your John's family  it might give you a starting point in Ontario.  Try contacting the cemetery to see who is buried there.  The Toronto library will answer emails and do lookups in their City Directories for names and then there is the paysite Pages of the Past - The Toronto Star which you could search for obituaries, marriages.

Information on deaths, etc are a provincial responsibility in Canada and what is accessible varies from province to province.  Ontario deaths are accessible up to 1938.

Debbie

Online Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 January 11 05:07 GMT (UK) »
On the 1953 passenger list there was a John Coule on the same page as Robina. I didn't mention his details because I didn't think they were connected. He was a lot older than Robina, had a different ticket number and both Robina and John had their ages indicated in the column entitled "not accompanied by husband or wife". They also listed different addresses in Blackpool as their last residence in the UK and there had been a name on the line between their names (it was crossed out though). I didn't know at the time I looked it up that they were only married in 1953 and that he was much older than he was.

John Coule was 58 and his last UK residence was "Mrs. E. Kay, 117 Ashton Road, Blackpool". By the way, they were on the Empress of France which departed from Liverpool on 25 March 1953.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz