Author Topic: John Laidlaw  (Read 12960 times)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Laidlaw
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 23 September 10 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Thinlizzy,
I read it that Robert Robertson was the weaver or Tailor and Jas. Guilland was his wife/partner which is why Christian used either name.  I am sure that it said Jas.Guilland and Robert Robertson.
Now I am even more confused. ::)
I will go and look to see if Christian was married before to Robert Robertson to affirm if this is the case.  Though it does not say deceased on the marriage to John laidlaw 1782

marcie :)
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Laidlaw 1782
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 23 September 10 13:49 BST (UK) »
Can we have a cancel button please.
Just read the piece again that I obtained from SP. it could certainly say relict
will definately buy more credits and research a previous marriage.
I read that as Robert or the abbr. of.  Do I feel embarrassed or what! :-[ :-[ :-[

Thanks Thinlizzy from not so confused
marcie :-[
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 24 September 10 18:25 BST (UK) »
Am now looking for her mothers name and both parents birth details, marriage etc.  Hope that James Guilland does not have the same problems as James Laidlaw, Smith or Brown.

marcie

Wish me luck with the hunt.
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 03 October 10 18:06 BST (UK) »
Looked on SP for the birth and the marriage of  Christian Robertson to James Guilland.

No marriage found to James either on SP nor LDS but many choices regarding births of Christian Robertson and possible parents thereof.  Too many.

marcie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Old but new John Laidlaw 1872/3
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 02:12 GMT (UK) »
I found an RCE for John Laidlaw.  Will try to load it so you can see for yourself,
is this maybe one of the clues I have been hoping for. dont seem to be able to will have to load it to the desktop first.
Details: 1873 Laidlaw, John
Statutory births 779/00 0016 (RCE) Page 11   779(Whats this?)
Register of corrected entries for the parish of Yarrow in the County of Selkirk
20th April 1875 signed Wm Bell Registrar then there is another date of 3rd May 1876  It says about changing the year from 1873 to 1872 and has other information on there as well.  Is it possible that he was not born in leith and if his original birth was registered in Selkirk then it may show who his real mother was atleast.
marcie

Moderator Comment: topics merged
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 02 December 10 15:16 GMT (UK) »
We have John Laidlaw married to Joan foster
John Laidlaw married to Christian Guilland - found her death/burial record she died aged 34 of cholera, still quite young and such a shame.
John laidlaw married to my grgran marjory McDonald Charles Ferguson Barron Brown.  Had a look at a family history site for Selkirk.  could not find a link for it for here.  but they are dealing with the Poor law for the area, getting the names together and for burial so maybe one of the moderators might like to obtain the links necessary?  Dont know if this is how its done?
Have not as yet had my reply from St. Andrews. uni. Left another message with their Archive Library.
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 02 December 10 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Marcie, can I offer you some advice? Why don't you focus on one research point at a time, otherwise it gets very confusing to follow your thread for everyone who may happen to look at it and be trying to help. I for one don't understand what the reference to St Andrews University is in the context of your last post for example.

Have you been able to work through on the entry from Register of Corrected Entries (RCEs) that you mentioned in your previous post regarding John Laidlaw?

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 02 December 10 16:19 GMT (UK) »
 Sorry Monica,
no, run out of credits and wont be able to do any more for a few weeks. Which is why I tried finding a link for the Parish records for Selkirk and Yarrow Family History site.

St. Andrews is a reference to Cornelius Omay in Argyll, so peeps ignore that,
just thought I would let you know, (as requested) that I have not had a response as yet.
next time I will send you a pm if i do and see if I can find a link for anyone else who might want to use their Historical archive.
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 02 December 10 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Just for reference, if it turns out you need it, this is the link that I think you were trying to find www.bordersfhs.org.uk/Index.asp

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk