Author Topic: John Laidlaw  (Read 12961 times)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Laidlaw
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks monica,
Yes that will be very helpful.  On top of everything else, my lap top has decided to play up and won't stay on for very long :-\ the screen keeps going blank.  Have gone back to sharing one with OH.  Will have to transfer the RCE record over from mine to his and raise it on here.

marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 16:47 GMT (UK) »
[quote author=marcie dean link=topic=499248.msg3427050#msg3427050 da
found her death certificate,  she died of cholera aged 34 I think it said.  Cant have been married very long, just long enough to have one child

:-\
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Curious that they did not know when  he was born.
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Could someone take a look at the RCE attached and tell me what they think please.  Looks to me as though someone wrote in with information pertaining to Johns birth, so does that mean that there is more information to be found if only we know where to look.
Maybe a letter with a copy of this to Edinburgh/Mitchell Library?

marcie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 21:52 GMT (UK) »
marcie,

An RCE is there to correct a mistake the original entry and what you have posted is the correction.  In the case of births, it can be used to change the name that was origianlly registered.  In the case of deaths, it is often the cause of death being added to the entry following a report from the procurator fiscal's office. 

It would seem in this case that the date may have been entered incorrectly.  It may have been a simple clerical error, but not noticed initially.  What did the original entry say?  I don't think there is any other information to be found.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Little Nell,
will have to find the birth cert and take a look.  Hume said that he looked and could not find a birth with parents Margaret Ann Laing/ Lang and William or Charles William Laidlaw.

See the thing is he was supposed to be born in Leith, yet this shows him in Yarrow, the query I have is what deposition?  Would this have been something which may have been sent into the registrar to change his name, dob etc and if so, If i write to them do you think they could tell me any more information.  Hewas supposed to have been taken in by them, as their own child died on their wedding anniversary, 10 yrs previously, his name was William Walker Laidlaw, wasnt even 1yr when he died. So my grgrandfather must have been a boon to them because I do  not think they had any other children, at least I have not found any.
marcie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 19:11 GMT (UK) »
 Little Nell.  Memory is failing.
The RCE is to do with a birth certificate for A John laidlaw but with parents Janet Laidlaw and George Laidlaw, same years, but definately not my grgrandad.

So if the child was not registered now what? Keep thinking that there is something which I am missing.  It is a shame that they did not have a register of women who died in childbirth, seperate to everything else.  At least the mothers death record would help, if only we knew who she was. Its a shame that she died at all, though I suppose she would have been hounded by them to either give him up to them, or to give him away.
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Tracking a birth
« Reply #34 on: Monday 27 December 10 17:21 GMT (UK) »
My Grgrandfather was born in 1872 his name was John Laidlaw.
This is what it states on his marriage certificate and his death certificate,
would his birth have been registered when his birth mother died, if so, would an RCE been raised when he had his name changed by the couple who took him in as their own, knowing that there were no adoption rules or regulations at this time.

If so can I use his death certificate as a way of tracking him to his birth, using the GROS numbers

marcie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tracking a birth
« Reply #35 on: Monday 27 December 10 17:32 GMT (UK) »
if you are talking about England and Wales the birth should have been registered within 42 days of his birth
it was not necessary for him to change his name if he was adopted he can be called / call himself whatever he liked as long as the purpose was not for fraud.

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive