Author Topic: John Laidlaw  (Read 12953 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Tracking a birth
« Reply #36 on: Monday 27 December 10 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Is this his birth?

Sep 1872   
Laidlaw    John Ralph T        Sunderland    10a   576
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Laidlaw
« Reply #37 on: Monday 27 December 10 17:51 GMT (UK) »
There's already a long thread about this on Midlothian board so I've merged it with the new thread started today in Common Room.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracking a birth
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 02:50 GMT (UK) »
Is this his birth?
Sep 1872   
Laidlaw    John Ralph T        Sunderland    10a   576
Hi groom,
Nice thought, but I do not think so.  He was supposed to be born in Scotland, in Leith. What I do not get is unless they were there at the actual birth of the child and death of the mother, I do not see how they could take him and register him as theirs, although I have not seen any proof that they did.  No birth certificate with Margaret Ann Laing or Margaret Laidlaw and William Laidlaw on it anywhere.  So my question is was he registered under his birth mothers name, which because we do not know what that is we will never find it, unless there is a way of tracking it back using the Gros ref numbers and those that Edinburgh would use as their ref to find him.
This is one brick wall which is not easily going to be broken down.
marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 02 January 11 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marcie

Just catching up as I have been away and reading through your latest posts  :)

This RCE entry that you have found, I am guessing has come from SP and is connected to a specific birth cert that you have viewed there for the birth of a John Laidlaw?

I am not sure if this RCE/birth cert has anything to do with your John  :-\ There is this entry on IGI which I think relates to the possible birth cert you have viewed (although you have quoted different names for parents):

JOHN LAIDLAW Birth: 17 NOV 1873 in Yarrow, Selkirk
Parents: JOHN LAIDLAW and JANET ANDERSON

The informant for the amendment referred to on the RCE shows as John Laidlaw, likely the father to son John, (1872 v. 1873 birth year).

I've been reading though this post again from the beginning. I think most of the info to be found has already been posted by Hume in the very early posts.

• William LAIDLAW and Margaret LAING, married in 1863, Leith
  • Charles William LAIDLAW, born 1863, Leith looks to have been the only child born to them. He died at the age of six months from the death cert you have found
  • Hume has included census entries for your John, with 'parents' from 1871 to 1891, birth year c. 1869 and born in Edinburgh in all censuses
  • From all the info that Hume put together, does look likely that John was taken in very young and raised as the son of William and wife Margaret, who do not look to have had any more children apart from Charles in 1863

Not sure how you can establish who the actual birth parents were of your John unfortunately. John gave William and Margaret (Laing) as his parents on his marriage cert. and same parents were given on his death cert. Without knowing the name at least of his birth mother, you will not be able to establish his birth details. He may well not have know that William and Margaret were not his parents if he was raised by them from at least the age of two where he shows with them on the 1871 census.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 02 January 11 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Monica,
You are quite right.  I came to this conclusion.  But he did know that they were not his birth parents.  His death cert which you found for me, means that he was born abt 1872. That is if his age is correct.
There are only two possibilities of finding out anything one being the newspaper article which was supposed to have been posted in the papers around Edinburgh and two trawling through deaths of women in labour.
I have already tried a third of contacting masons' lodges in Edinburgh, but they are not talking.
Of course with my grandfather dead, I cannot clarify anything or ask questions.
My mum only knows what she was told which is the same as myself and is not much.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 02 January 11 16:28 GMT (UK) »
His age on the early censuses between 1871-91 is pretty consistent (born c. 1869) which is probably as close as you are going to get to his actual birth year.

It was Hume who found his death cert which showed an age of 53 in April 1923, so again, a likely birth year of circa 1869.

John Laidlaw died April 4th 1923 at the Royal Infirmary in Edinburgh. He was 53 and parents were registered as you note (William was a cab driver like his son).

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
John Laidlaw 1782
« Reply #42 on: Monday 24 January 11 20:14 GMT (UK) »
You very kindly helped me with finding his wife and mother of Charles
which was Christian Guilland or Robertson. I have a date of 1782 for his birth,
so I took a look on SP and came up with 3 alternatives.
John Laidlaw born 1771 parents Alexander and Isobel Caryll (Nrth Leith)
discounted this one due to the date being too far away.  the other two were 1797 John Laidlaw, parents John and Janet Cunningham
or 1798 Parents John and Anne Mudie.

Tried plugging in 1782 John Laidlaw, tried Midlothian, tried Edinburgh city no matches.
Tried the IGI and came up with John Laidlaw married a Jean Hog 17th May 1782 in Stow Midlothian batch no M116995, Source 1067791. Wondered whether they are his parents and he was born later in the year. But nothing comes up for a John Laidlaw in that year in a search for a birth. On sp so must be doing something wrong?
Marcie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Laidlaw 1782
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 10 February 11 23:51 GMT (UK) »
 5 choices from 1780 - 1785 from Falkirk to Roxburgh and Berwick.

J>L> born 20/02/>1780 Falkirk: Parents: Robert and Barbara Brydon
 J.L. born 14/03/1785: Channelkirk, Berwick:Parents: Alexander and Agness Grant
 J>L>born 09/04/1783 and bapt:14/03/1785 Peebles:Parents:Thomas &Margaret Ronaldson.
J>L>or Maxwell B:15/09/1780(Cummertrees)Dumfries,Parents:Maxwell & Janet Laidlaw

J>L>bapt 25.09.1785: Hawick, roxburgh: Parents: James Laidlaw and Mary Learmont.    and I am none the wiser, need to connect to trees to see where they lead.  Marcie
 searl rogers sutherland