Author Topic: John Laidlaw  (Read 12956 times)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Laidlaw
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 September 10 21:40 BST (UK) »
Would it be easier to send a pm with the list of names, most are dead, dont know about Lily or Margaret(Peggy) Have not researched them as yet.

marcie

Mis read your posting initially, have re-read it and now understand that Charles William is a son to them, another fact I did not know.
Also, because these names are so  common, have a Henry Laidlaw and Helen McLeod as Williams parents, but I will now check to make sure that williams father is not Charles William as they are apt to name their children after their fathers etc.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 23:22 BST (UK) »
There were 5 girls and 3 boys living.
William Walker laidlaw born August 1904 died the same year as birth, he was also named after another William Walker born in 1843.
Agnes Barron Brown Laidlaw 1906
Robert Clermiston B. Laidlaw 1908
Lily Laidlaw 1909
Margaret 1910
James Hutchison Laidlaw 1912
Marjory 1913?
Alexander 1915    I also think that there was a Mary Margaret not sure on birth year
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 23:33 BST (UK) »
William Laidlaw m Margaret Ann Laing
William and Margaret had a son Charles William died at the age of 6months on the 1st wedding anniversary of his parents.
Williams father was Charles Laidlaw and his mother was Joan Foster
cannot find Joan Foster on SP. John Foster was a (seaman)
Charles parents were John Laidlaw and Christian Guilland or Robertson
Christians father was Robert Robertson and her mother was Jas? Guilland
it definately state Jas so knowing that the male form of James is Jas I wondered what the female form Jas would be abbreviated for.
marcie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 23:49 BST (UK) »
Jamesina is the Scottish feminine form of James but I've never seen it abbreviated. Are you sure it isn't Jane rather than Jas?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 00:19 BST (UK) »
No, I am not totally sure. Writing is not too clear, but will see if I can upload it onto here see what you think aghadowey.  It would make some sense, it would possibly explain why one of the boys were named James. Thank you, I did wonder if her name was Jasmin but it is not likely that they would use a name like that in that era, would they.?

None of the adults within 100 yrs were called James, no brothers were called James only John.

marcie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
John Laidlaw
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 13:07 BST (UK) »
Dont seem to be able to attach this, which is strange as I managed to attache a photo and there should be no difference

will try again later

marcie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 13:13 BST (UK) »
name are a lille blurred
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 13:26 BST (UK) »
Finally I managed to get it small enough and place it where I could find it easily, at last.

Can you have a look at the Laidlaw area and see what you think the females name is.  Jane or Jas.

marcie ::) ;D
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline Thinlizy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Elizabeth Henderson, my grandmother, on the right
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 17:05 BST (UK) »
Had a look at your marriage reg Yes John L and Christian Guilland were married on 23 Jan. She is the daughter of Jas (James) Guilland and the relict (widow?) of Robertson a weaver or tailor. No mother's name evident. The IGI of this marriage has her family name as Guilland or Robertson. I know it's not much but does seem to make better sense. T
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
  Scotland: Borders, Forth Valley & Lothians: Bremner, Eddington/Edington, Ferguson, Flucker, Henderson, Hitchcock. Caithness area & North Isles: Bremner & Rendall.
England: Buckinghamshire area, London/Middlesex, Northamptonshire  area: Devonshire, Hitchcock